PDA

View Full Version : looking into a new console

Pages : [1] 2 3

Imbroglio
12-06-06, 09:10 AM
been looking into getting either a wii/360/ps3 and i've been looking into games and the system specs and everything. to me it seems like the 360 is the best purchase, with top online services and superior graphical performance (better card than ps3), and the broadest base of games (for now).

looking at everything the ps3 seems more like a htpc that plays ps3 games as well, the sad part is to keep costs down sony downgraded the graphics card, and there are many speculations as to whether hd game content in ps3 could even look as good as 360. they are forcing their br down all programmers throats and seem to be using brute force in the movie industry as well (with their recent aquisition of MGM) all so that their media doesn't lose out. with their semi-paper launch why do all ps3 fanbois remind me of ati fanbois... ps3 loses for now, but you will see in a couple of years, t3h c3ll is t3h w1n !!1!11 for some reason i just feel like sony is gonna lose this round, even though they'll drain their resources not to.

as far as the wii, i need to play it, it looks awsome. i love the idea of the controller but... there are days when i'm going to want to come home and not do anything except sit on the couch, lay down, relax and have a nice controller in my hand that i don't have to move around (i work out before work). and i also play a lot of sports games, something that i couldn't imagine playing on the wii.

am i overlooking something about a particular console? i know the ps3 is new, but from the gaming side, it doesn't seem to match up with the 360. i've played nba2k7 on both ps3 (in target) and on 360, and the 360 just feels so much better to me.

Namrok
12-06-06, 09:15 AM
Can't go wrong with the 360. I have a 360 and a Wii, and I love them both, so its a hard call to make. On the one hand, the motions required for the Wii aren't really that great. Although you will find yourself getting into it anyhow. And I completely understand about just not feeling like moving around some days after a long time at work and exercise.

Also, from what I've heard, a lot of people say the controls for Madden on the Wii are a great improvement on standard controls. I don't play sports games, so I can't really confirm or deny this personally.

It's a tossup, I'd get both if I were you and I could :p

six_storm
12-06-06, 09:30 AM
The 360 is the best choice right now and for a little bit IMO, just because of the games and of course like you said, XBOX Live.

Lfctony
12-06-06, 09:34 AM
I have a 360 and its a great console. I'm probably getting the PS3 once it comes out in Europe, and the price goes down a bit as well. Right now, I'd go with the 360 over the 3 NGs.

Imbroglio
12-06-06, 09:55 AM
what's impressing me is that ppl that already own 360s still enjoy the console and are impressed with it even after the other systems have been launched. thanks for all the input so far, i appreciate it.:D

saturnotaku
12-06-06, 10:05 AM
Another vote here for the 360. The selection and quality of games is excellent overall. The Wii would be a good second console. Its game library has yet to fill out, but you can still play all Gamecube titles on it, and the Virtual Console selection is constantly growing.

zoomy942
12-06-06, 10:13 AM
i have to come in here and wave my Wii-penis.

but i cant argue against the 360. its a great console with a lot of great games. i just like the Wii and the way it draws you into fun gameplay

evilchris
12-06-06, 10:19 AM
Well buying a PS3 right now isn't even an option unless you want to buy one on fleabay. 360 FTMFW.

Marvel_us
12-06-06, 10:34 AM
+1 for a 360. The other systems don't have the amount of quality games 360 has atm.

Also, it's not a hassle to buy a 360, just walk into the store and pick a box.

Hex
12-06-06, 10:42 AM
I love my PS3 but in all honesty it just comes down to the games you like.

Gaco
12-06-06, 10:56 AM
I can recommend the Xbox360 as well. It already has great games and even better stuff coming. Xbox Live is paramount. After you get the Xbox360, you might want to consider the Wii for alternative console experiences, I know I'm getting one :)

Connaught
12-06-06, 11:51 AM
Another 360 vote here.

Not just for the games that are out now: GRAW, GOW, N3, Kameo, COD3, Small Arms

but for the games that are coming out in the near future: Froza 2, Too Human, The Darkness, Halo 3, Fable 2, Elveon, Alan Wake ...etc

Plus the addition of previous PS3 exclusives:
Assassin's Creed, Fatal Inertia, Blade Storm: The Hundred Year's War

Just seems to me that the 360 has everything going for it and is the smart choice to buy...and you can walk to your nearest electronic store and buy it now.

MustangSVT
12-06-06, 12:38 PM
I love my Xbox360, but you should only get one if there's at least one or two games that you really want to play really bad. I wanted to play PGR3 really bad and that was good enough for me. I was kinda pissed when I heard Forza 2 (my other most awaited game) got delayed from like this nov/december to like spring, but oh well, it should be a good game me thinks.

nemecb
12-06-06, 01:07 PM
and i also play a lot of sports games, something that i couldn't imagine playing on the wii.
Why not? To me the Wii controller is perfectly suited to sports games. As much as I didn't want to, I even enjoyed playing Madden on the Wii.

However, if you're not looking to do a lot of work to find one, the 360 is pretty much your only option right now. The Wii and the PS3 are still beastly hard to find without some prior knowledge of when stores will be getting them.

Peoples-Agent
12-06-06, 01:44 PM
360 for sure, no competition whatsoever!

S.I.N
12-06-06, 01:51 PM
I'm partial to Sony. MGS4 comes out next year and I dont think anyone wants to miss that. Also I'am guessing Sony will announce all its major first party games next year which no system can beat and you can play alot of PS2 games which you may have missed and nothing beats that library. Then there is Linux and and all the modding possibilities the PS3 might see. 360 seems great but alot of them die so you might want to wait a bit.

Hex
12-06-06, 02:08 PM
I'm partial to Sony. MGS4 comes out next year and I dont think anyone wants to miss that. Also I'am guessing Sony will announce all its major first party games next year which no system can beat and you can play alot of PS2 games which you may have missed and nothing beats that library. Then there is Linux and and all the modding possibilities the PS3 might see. 360 seems great but alot of them die so you might want to wait a bit.

Sony is already making huge steps, the early birthing pains are pretty much over and the good stuff is starting to trickle in.
If you have a PSP they already have the PS1 games available to dl and will be adding more every week.
SNK has already committed to putting their games on the PSN, the makers of Lair have signed on for three games just for the PSN , and Sony has shown they are committed to bringing new games and classic games to the network.
Tekken 5 DR is being released to be dl on the PSN ( see thread near this one) with HD added features, as well as GT-HD.
Motorstorm, VF5, and others are getting ready to hit in the spring with VF5 in feb.
DMC4, MGS4, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Motor Storm, Virtua Fighter 5, Lair, Assassin's Creed, The Darkness, Coded Arms, Heavenly Sword, and many others will be coming.
Ubi already announced that Ghost Recon AWF2 will be on both systems, Enchanted Arms and Fight Night are both hitting the PS3 in improved forms.
Resistance: Fall of Man is amazing and alot of fun multiplayer and Insomniac has committed to fully supporting it and keeping it going with updates and new content.
Linux works very well and opens all new possibilities.

I am honestly tired of getting into the pissing contests between the systems and between bluray and Hd-DVD, just do research on your own and dont listen to tripe like "360 no contest" and hell you shouldnt even listen to me.
Just dig around and see what you come up with.

Ninjaman09
12-06-06, 02:17 PM
360 is your best choice. Get it. You know you want to.

Zelda_fan
12-06-06, 02:36 PM
Go 360 or Wii.

360 already has a big library of good games. Plus there are some killer titles lined up for a LONG time to come.

Mass Effect, Assasian's Creed, Lost Planet, Halo 3, Lost Odyssey, etc etc You really won't go wrong with a 360.

I firmly believe you won't go wrong with a Wii either. If you are a fan at all of Zelda then you simply must get the Wii. I'm around halfway done with Twilight Princess and the log says I've played 36 hours so far. Zelda's length is like 3 Xbox games combined, and that is with high quality Zelda gameplay too. Graphics really aren't bad at all with the component cables. To be honest, they look better than some of the low-end 360 games (superman comes to mind). Plus there are a lot of great upcoming games for the Wii as well. Super Mario Galexy, Metriod 3, Batillion Wars, Project HAMMAR, Camelot RPG, etc. Somewhere down the line is going to be a new Zelda designed from the ground up for the Wii controller, and you know that's going to kick ass.

PS3 has the potential to be a good system once Sony gets some decent games for it, but right now there is zero reason to buy one.

Wii60 ftw.

Zelda_fan
12-06-06, 02:38 PM
just do research on your own and dont listen to tripe like "360 no contest" and hell you shouldnt even listen to me.
Just dig around and see what you come up with.

currently it is a "no contest." All the stuff you are talking about is "well Sony will do X Y Z down the road." Who cares. We are talking about right now. Why would someone want to buy a PS3 RIGHT NOW? Well, um, Resistance... and um.... if you don't like that... ummm.... I guess your screwed.

Exactly. No contest.

Zelda_fan
12-06-06, 02:40 PM
as far as the wii, i need to play it, it looks awsome. i love the idea of the controller but... there are days when i'm going to want to come home and not do anything except sit on the couch, lay down, relax and have a nice controller in my hand that i don't have to move around (i work out before work). and i also play a lot of sports games, something that i couldn't imagine playing on the wii.

Couple things about the Wii. Never have I once felt my hand get tired when playing Zelda. Never.

Also as far as sports games go, after playing Wii sports, I'll never again play a sports game on anything but the Wii (expect for basketball). The controller simply works THAT well with sports games.

Hex
12-06-06, 02:42 PM
currently it is a "no contest." All the stuff you are talking about is "well Sony will do X Y Z down the road." Who cares. We are talking about right now. Why would someone want to buy a PS3 RIGHT NOW? Well, um, Resistance... and um.... if you don't like that... ummm.... I guess your screwed.

Exactly. No contest.

I do not completely disagree, but as far as I am concerned (in my opinion as it were) if we are doing RIGHT NOW then each system has one game.

PS3- Resistance: Fall of Man
360- Gears of War
Wii- Zelda: Twighlight Princess

All of the other is filler whether some of it is mildly entertaining or not.

OWA
12-06-06, 02:44 PM
If you don't mind the noise of the X360, it's probably the best option at the moment. If you don't mind waiting, I'd get the PS3. It's supposedly quiet and the graphics will be the same if not better. Of course, if you have kids, I'd go with the Wii since Nintendo is by far the best choice for "family gaming".

Zelda_fan
12-06-06, 02:57 PM
I do not completely disagree, but as far as I am concerned (in my opinion as it were) if we are doing RIGHT NOW then each system has one game.

PS3- Resistance: Fall of Man
360- Gears of War
Wii- Zelda: Twighlight Princess

All of the other is filler whether some of it is mildly entertaining or not.

Resistance: Fall of Man is a joke compared to the latter two. Doesn't even deserved to me mentioned in the same breath.

Zelda_fan
12-06-06, 03:02 PM
don't get me wrong, when God of War 3, heavenly sword, and Final Fantasy XIII come out, I may consider getting a PS3 myself. But right now? I just don't see why, when the XBOX 360 has a REAL game library and is $200 cheaper.