PDA

View Full Version : Does the Virtual Console have game genie/action replay?

Parts
12-06-06, 12:04 PM
Or if it doesnt, do you think they'll support it in the future?

If im gonna get some old games to play, I want my damn game genie or action replay!

Namrok
12-06-06, 12:24 PM
Hahah, I'd completely forgotten about Game Genie. No it doesn't have any code inputs. I doubt they'd include it either. But man does that take me back. I remember some of those games on the NES were so hard/poorly designed you almost had to cheat.

saturnotaku
12-06-06, 01:48 PM
I don't think it would be out of the question for Nintendo to realease a VC version of Game Genie. Who knows? It'd sure be cool.

Parts
12-06-06, 01:54 PM
Yeah even if they charged the regular game price for which system the cheat device was for id get it.

Especially N64, the Gameshark Pro's were sweet.

But I guess if they ever implemented a cheat device for virtual console systems they would have to get the rights to use it from whoever owns that technology now huh... I hope they do, its just fun to hax at console games :)

I remember making my own codes for all my games on PS1 with the gameshark pro cheat feature, its what got me into doing it to PC games!

Rakeesh
12-06-06, 03:17 PM
LOL nintendo really hates those devices. I think the main reason why is because codemasters/galoob refused to pay for the licensing fees. Nintendo was (is?) very anal about third party games companies, and they made sure that they were the only ones who were allowed to sell any games. They would also artificially inflate the costs of games by strictly limiting the supplies against demands, make sure their own titles sell more, etc. If anybody here thinks microsoft is bad at violating antitrust laws, nintendo is much worse.

Nintendo hated anybody who went around them and tried to publish their own games without paying licensing fees. The NES had a little authentication chip in each cartridge (called the 10NES chip) that passed along certain specific timings to the console, and if it matched up right, it would allow the game to fully boot instead of resetting every 2 seconds (half of the time when you put in a dusty cartridge, that resetting every 2 seconds was caused by leads for this mechanism not being fully connected.)

They had a patent on it so that nobody could replicate it and produce unlicensed games (though some manufacturers used devices that would turn off the 10nes chip via a negative voltage spike, allowing the game to boot, and most of the time nintendo would sue them out of business as a result.)

The game genie was able to bypass it without breaking any laws though, namely because it was able to facilitate a simple passthrough mechanism so that the 10NES chip would communicate directly with the dongle located in the cartridge, therefore the game genie didn't need one. There wasn't sh*t that nintendo could do about this, except for run a cheesy little ad campaign with TV commercials showing a wizard in a purple robe that said to never buy anything that doesn't have the nintendo seal of quality on it. Needless to say nobody cared, and millions of these cheat devices sold anyways.

Parts
12-06-06, 09:57 PM
I didnt know any of that, thanks for the infos... guess we probably wont be seeing those released, by Nintendo anyway.

Though I wonder if one of the companies will make a cheat device specificially for the virtual console and its multi platform games., id like to see that, id certainly buy one.

On a side note, I went to the local ebgames here and they told me they never get in the pro action replay for the DS or Gamecube, but they had a lot of PSP ones, thats retarded :(

Namrok
12-07-06, 05:51 AM
Eh, even if Nintendo had a bad relationship with Game Genie, all the thing did was change the values of memory locations by inputing a hex location and a hex value. I mean there is no reason they'd have to license that from Game Genie to implement it in the VC.

msxyz
12-07-06, 06:57 AM
That's why the freeware emulators available for PCs and some portable devices are still superior imho.

Game codes, the ability to take screenshots and, last but not least, to "freeze the game" and resume playing later. The latest feature is particulary needed by people like me who don't have anymore the luxury to spend an afternoon beating a game.

Namrok
12-07-06, 07:10 AM
That's why the freeware emulators available for PCs and some portable devices are still superior imho.

The ability ... to "freeze the game" and resume playing later.

I don't think the VC does anything like multiple save states, but I'm pretty sure you can quit and the game is saved from where you left off for you to resume later. At least thats what I heard. I haven't played the VC much, I might try it out with Mario 64 when I get home to make sure.

Parts
12-07-06, 03:07 PM
I don't think the VC does anything like multiple save states, but I'm pretty sure you can quit and the game is saved from where you left off for you to resume later. At least thats what I heard. I haven't played the VC much, I might try it out with Mario 64 when I get home to make sure.

Yeah I read that in a review somewhere, IGN or Gamespot or one of those SUPER COOL websites, but anyways im still hoping eventually something gets released like this for the VC, since im sure a Wii one will be out in time.