PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drives and My Documents

Bearclaw
12-06-06, 06:38 PM
I was reading some other threads on here and saw that it was good to have only your Windows stuff on your main hard drive and then all your documents on a seperate hard drive. I right clicked on My Documents and changed the location to my second hard drive; is that all I have to do? I want to make sure eveyrthing I do goes in the My Documents folder here so if windows gets corrupted or anything I still have all my documents.

Thanks.

einstein_314
12-06-06, 07:46 PM
yup. That's it. Everything that is referenced to your my documents folder, is now on the other hard drive.

Bearclaw
12-06-06, 07:55 PM
yup. That's it. Everything that is referenced to your my documents folder, is now on the other hard drive.
WHat about all the documents in Program Files? Or is everything in the program files folder just the actual program and all my saved stuff is in my documents?

J-Mag
12-06-06, 07:57 PM
Wow you guys actually use My documents? I have never really understood the point of it, but maybe thats because I have had my own recursive folder system since the DOS days.

Bearclaw
12-06-06, 07:59 PM
Wow you guys actually use My documents? I have never really understood the point of it, but maybe thats because I have had my own reqursive folder system since the DOS days.
Well...uhm..ya. I do at least. I don't know about him. What is your system though?

J-Mag
12-06-06, 09:00 PM
Well...uhm..ya. I do at least. I don't know about him. What is your system though?

I like this style:

C:\Files\Images
C:\Files\Vids
C:\Files\Docs
etc...

I guess it is basically the same thing, but hard to break old habits.

superklye
12-06-06, 09:04 PM
I used to do something like that, but I just got so lazy and everything defaults to My Documents so why not?

Arioch
12-06-06, 09:18 PM
Well since you folks are talking about it I have a question about using multiple hard drives. As I understand it people are using their main drive for their OS and I assume installation of all their games and drivers correct? What would I be using the other hard drive for? I had planned on getting a single 150GB WD 10K SATA HD for my new PC and will not be putting stuff like MP3 files and videos on it as I planned to keep my old PC for that so I am not sure if getting any extra hard drives is worthwhile for me.

Thanks for any feedback.

Bearclaw
12-06-06, 09:31 PM
I like this style:

C:\Files\Images
C:\Files\Vids
C:\Files\Docs
etc...

I guess it is basically the same thing, but hard to break old habits.
Ya it makes sense. I might start just putting everything except the O/S on a different drive..just incase it fails on me.

Uberpwnage
12-06-06, 10:03 PM
I have 2 HDDs, a 160GB and a 120GB. I have the 120 partitioned into 4 different sections. 3x20GB partitions, 1 for XP, 1 for Vista 32 bit, and 1 for Vista 64 bit. The remaining 60GB i use for documents across all the operating systems. The 160GB drive i use as my programs drive. Its great when you want to reinstall windows, you dont have to back anything up, you just reformat the OS partition, and then reinstall it on the same one. Then get all your game save files from the programs drive one you're back up, then delete the programs file, and make a new one.