PDA

View Full Version : Gamespot: XBOX360 vs. PS3 Graphics Comparison

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Ruined
12-06-06, 08:53 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6162742/index.html?tag=topslot;title;1&om_act=convert&click=topslot

We expected the PlayStation 3 to ship with several games that first appeared on the Xbox 360, similar to how the Xbox 360 had a lot of Xbox ports at launch. And the PS3 did indeed arrive with a good number of games that originally shipped for the Xbox 360. This gave us the perfect opportunity to compare the graphics on both systems with several cross-platform games. You'd think that the PS3 versions would be exactly the same or slightly superior to the Xbox 360 versions, since many of these games appeared on the 360 months ago, but it seems like developers didn't use the extra time to polish up the graphics for the PS3. We found that the Xbox 360 actually had better graphics in the majority of the games we compared.

Conclusion
The Xbox 360 had better graphics in almost all the games we examined. The 360's biggest victories were in Madden 07 and Fight Night Round 3, where the differences in texture detail and lighting stood out in our comparison shots. We couldn't capture this in the screenshots, but the Xbox 360 games generally offered better framerates too.

Bearclaw
12-06-06, 09:01 PM
That actually surprises me. I am not up to date on console gaming but I thought the PS3 was suppose to be spectacular as far as console graphics go. I also thought it was suppose to beat the 360 consiberably.

rek075
12-06-06, 09:06 PM
1up did the same type of editorial and came to the same conclusion.

S.I.N
12-06-06, 09:12 PM
Come on, those games are ports. Give it a year when the PS3 is the lead platform.

Marvel_us
12-06-06, 09:14 PM
This is actually arguable since a couple of those games are 2nd gen on Xbox360.

I don't know who thought PS3 launch titles would blow Xbox360 games out of the water. Even a couple years down the road the differences between the two most likely won't be that big.

rek075
12-06-06, 09:33 PM
So when 2nd gen PS3 games come out there will be 3rd gen 360 games. I guess it'll never be fair to compare the two consoles then.

:lame:

|MaguS|
12-06-06, 09:40 PM
So when 2nd gen PS3 games come out there will be 3rd gen 360 games. I guess it'll never be fair to compare the two consoles then.

I don't care if people judge different generation games but I think people should take into consideration that developers are going to take awhile to grasp the PS3's strenghts. I don't think the launch lineup of the PS3 actually has many noteworthy developers support to begin with...

I mean look at the difference between Madden 06 and Madden 07 for the X360? It was huge...

Marvel_us
12-06-06, 09:52 PM

No this is the second Madden, Tiger game, etc on 360, that's what I meant.

Like I said before though, whoever thought there would be a huge difference between the consoles....wishful thinking ftw(lee63)

Namrok
12-06-06, 10:05 PM
Spoils of war. You come out a year early, you games that are developed for you first, competitors second.

Alaa
12-06-06, 11:07 PM
I actually like the PS3 screen shots more than their xbox360 counterparts! not always but overall the PS3 is better.

Hex
12-06-06, 11:17 PM
My favorite of those is Madden.

Now..it is supposed to be one o'clock in both shots and supposed to show how the PS3 doesnt do shadows.
But you have to be a total idiot not to notice that the time in the 360 version is much later to maximize the shadows.
I do not mind the tests, and I will admit that the 360 has some great graphics power but for **** sake make it straight up.

Apollo 13
12-07-06, 12:05 AM
My favorite of those is Madden.

Now..it is supposed to be one o'clock in both shots and supposed to show how the PS3 doesnt do shadows.
But you have to be a total idiot not to notice that the time in the 360 version is much later to maximize the shadows.
I do not mind the tests, and I will admit that the 360 has some great graphics power but for **** sake make it straight up.

the PS3 version does do shadows I rented the game...gamespot just took the pics at different times of the day so it really isn't a fair comparison. But the textures are better on the 360 version which I did own until I traded the game in. The PS3 version has better gameplay though.

Zelda_fan
12-07-06, 12:41 AM
Come on, those games are ports. Give it a year when the PS3 is the lead platform.

what makes you think the PS3 is going to be the lead platform? Currently the 360 has the highest unit penetration of all the next-gen systems, and Nintendo will be on top by February at the rate the Wii is selling. The PS3 is currently at a VERY distant third. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

evilchris
12-07-06, 12:46 AM
what makes you think the PS3 is going to be the lead platform? Currently the 360 has the highest unit penetration of all the next-gen systems, and Nintendo will be on top by February at the rate the Wii is selling. The PS3 is currently at a VERY distant third. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

CuZ its SOnyt DUH1!!! PlKAystation1!! bl00-ray1!! Truhd!!!

superklye
12-07-06, 12:47 AM
I love you, man. :rofl

I'm laughing so hard I can barely type. :)

Badboy_12345
12-07-06, 01:41 AM

:lol: :lol:

EvilEye
12-07-06, 04:16 AM
The 360's biggest victories were in Madden 07 and Fight Night Round 3

Strange since all pic's of Fight Night Round 3 for PS3 which have circulated on websites, allways have been compared to the 360-version where they have stated that the PS3-version is superior...

Badboy_12345
12-07-06, 05:24 AM
Strange since all pic's of Fight Night Round 3 for PS3 which have circulated on websites, allways have been compared to the 360-version where they have stated that the PS3-version is superior...

only the sweat was a little better made but the crowd are cardboard cutouts and the lighting is ALOT worse. And the ps3 version suffers from framerate problems.

weeds
12-07-06, 05:49 AM
Here are some HD comparison vids, I suggest downloading the Quicktime videos as they are the best quality but large. You can use a downnload manager like getright or flashget. I downloaded all of them and the PS3 actually looks better in more than a few of these comparisons.

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/channel/PS3%20vs.%20Xbox%20360

only the sweat was a little better made but the crowd are cardboard cutouts and the lighting is ALOT worse. And the ps3 version suffers from framerate problems.

You got that info from IGN? They reviewed an old build. In the video Of FN from the link I posted, there are no cardboard cutouts, and the lighting looks better than the 360, I also see no slowdowns.

chump
12-07-06, 09:45 AM
Here are some HD comparison vids, I suggest downloading the Quicktime videos as they are the best quality but large. You can use a downnload manager like getright or flashget. I downloaded all of them and the PS3 actually looks better in more than a few of these comparisons.

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/channel/PS3%20vs.%20Xbox%20360

You got that info from IGN? They reviewed an old build. In the video Of FN from the link I posted, there are no cardboard cutouts, and the lighting looks better than the 360, I also see no slowdowns.

I'm sorry but I won't base my opinions for either console from a site that doesn't no how to video tape the same environment for each console.

Biggest example is the Flight game, 2 different planes and to different air fields. How can you compare, lighting is completely different.

Fight night shows 2 different sides to the ring with one side having lights in the back ground.
I wouldn't be surprised if they even had different TV's for them.

I'd rather just play them both and make the comparison that way. Problem is most places don't have any PS3 in stock for demoing.

SebC
12-07-06, 01:32 PM
You know how X360 games ported to the PC look worse because they program the graphics to look best on X360 architecture? Well same thing applies between X360 and PS3

evilchris
12-07-06, 01:57 PM
You know how X360 games ported to the PC look worse because they program the graphics to look best on X360 architecture? Well same thing applies between X360 and PS3

Oh ok got it thanks. I was hoping tEH cELL could overcome this though, afterall it IS a supercomputer. Can you turn the cure cancer option off for more gameplay performance?

ENU291
12-07-06, 03:52 PM
Oh ok got it thanks. I was hoping tEH cELL could overcome this though, afterall it IS a supercomputer. Can you turn the cure cancer option off for more gameplay performance?
ROTFLOL! You never cease to amaze me... cure cancer option... hahahaha!

evilchris
12-07-06, 03:54 PM
ROTFLOL! You never cease to amaze me... cure cancer option... hahahaha!

Hey man I was a good listener to PS3 marketing. It even creates phenomena inside the computer machine. Also it ages SD to HD! It actually goes back in time to the movie shoot, and gathers the missing image data needed for higher resolution!

MustangSVT
12-07-06, 04:21 PM
When Xbox1 came out with PGR1 and Halo and Dead or Alive, they blew away anything PS2 had to offer in terms of graphics, so don't give me that 1st-gen ****. The PS3 launch is the most pathetic console launch I've ever seen. There's only like 1 good game (all the other games are either on the other console and better in some kind of way), the price is more than 360 and you can't even find it.