PDA

View Full Version : Noobie question about RAID...

stevemedes
12-06-06, 08:04 PM
Well I snagged a nice deal on two WD 36gb Raptors (Thanks Monolyth!) on the FS/FT forums. I wanna put these together in RAID 0 to increase speeds even more. Anyway, you know how you usually have to set the jumpers on the back to have one be master and one slave? With RAID does one have to be master and one slave? Or how does it work?

stevemedes
12-07-06, 12:47 AM
bump? :D

Roadhog
12-07-06, 01:08 AM
Im not sure on the jumpers, but I know the raid has to usually be setup within your bios.

Bman212121
12-07-06, 01:25 AM
You don't need to worry about master/slave since they are sata drives. What you'll need to do is go into bios, and make sure that the raid is enabled for whatever controller you are using. Then you can reboot the pc, and it should show the drives on another screen, and you'll be able to hit a key combination to enter your raid bios. Then you can configure the drives there. Once that is done, you can format the array like it was a single drive.

I'm dling the manual for your mobo so I can be a little more specific.

Read Page 2-27, that talks about the sata headers, and then instructs you to go to 4-14.

On that page, it shows that you want to change over the setting called "configure sata as" and switch that over to RAID. That will enable the raid controller to allow you to configure it.

Then starting on page 5-29 it walks you through the steps to configure the Intel raid controller.

1. Install the sata disks
2. turn on the system
3. during post, press CTRL + L

You'll want to create a new set, and then choose which type you want. It should be pretty explanitory from there.

Then you can format the drives, and partition them, or if you want to install your OS onto the array, they have the steps on how to create a disk (PG 5-46) and how to install windows and load the drivers. (PG 5-47)

I figured out the sata headers also, the group of six are the ones for the Intel controller, and the one at the back of the board, and the external should be on the JMicron.

Also, I think I see what your talking about now on page 2-28. If your using the drives in a standard config, you'd need to have your boot drive hooked up to one of the red headers, most likely because the spec would only allow for 4 drives. The black ones couldn't be set as boot drives, but can still hold data. I'm not sure if it matters when your using raid mode, but if you were hooking up the raptors for an OS I'd put both on red headers, otherwise it might not boot.

stevemedes
12-07-06, 01:29 AM
You don't need to worry about master/slave since they are sata drives. What you'll need to do is go into bios, and make sure that the raid is enabled for whatever controller you are using. Then you can reboot the pc, and it should show the drives on another screen, and you'll be able to hit a key combination to enter your raid bios. Then you can configure the drives there. Once that is done, you can format the array like it was a single drive.

I'm dling the manual for your mobo so I can be a little more specific.

Thanks man, much appreciated! :captnkill: