PDA

View Full Version : Multiple hard drives - n00b questions

Arioch
12-07-06, 12:22 AM
Well I am contemplating using multiple hard drives for my new PC as I see a lot of people doing it but I have never had a system set up this way so I have a couple questions that maybe people can help me with.

I see a lot of people talking about using a fast HD for their OS but what exactly does this mean? If I bought a WD 74GB or 150GB 10K SATA HD would I actually only put the OS on it or would I also install my games on it?

I was thinking of getting 2 hard drives for my new Kentsfield / 8800GTX SLI system so what would be a good combo of hard drives to get?

Thanks!

ynnek
12-07-06, 12:28 AM
If you had money to burn, a nice setup with multiple separate drives are

a drive for OS
a drive for swap/virt mem
a drive for all your documents and personal media, thats backed up
a drive for all your program installs

So that concurrent access of OS stuff, swap, and actual programs are on differnet drives..

although at that point with 4 drives, you may want to consider a real highend HW RAID setup instead. (NOT onboard raid, cause I'm not conviced the levels and implementation of most onboard raids are worth it..)

me? I don't feel like spending that money, so Igo with a smaller drive for OS and swap, and a bigger drive for installs and personal docs and media.. That way, if I need to rebuild the OS, I still have all my media, docs, programs still around.

Also, Hardcore unix admins can take multiple drive and partition setup to the level of high art....

nmdelrio
12-07-06, 04:34 PM
... That way, if I need to rebuild the OS, I still have all my media, docs, programs still around.

Huh? I din't realise you can put your programs/installs on another drive and when you re-install the OS (which is on a separate drive), you get back your programs. That's very convenient. What I hate about re-installing the OS is the re-installation of the applications.

By "rebuild", you mean "reinstall", right?

Arioch, sorry for hijacking your post.

jolle
12-07-06, 05:07 PM
Its not entirely uncomon that programs and games stop working after a windows reinstall..
Some do tho.. and reinstalling those that dont is alot less of a hassle then doing a forced Windows reinstall and loosing all your files, if you only had 1 partition on 1 drive.

Roadhog
12-07-06, 05:10 PM
not all the time can you do that.. Sometimes the program install a file on the C: drive anyways or needs a registry file.

nmdelrio
12-08-06, 02:38 AM
Its not entirely uncomon that programs and games stop working after a windows reinstall..
Some do tho.. and reinstalling those that dont is alot less of a hassle then doing a forced Windows reinstall and loosing all your files, if you only had 1 partition on 1 drive.

You are absolutely right about the risks of losing files and data in a 1 drive 1 partition system. I always have more than 1 partition (or drive) in my system. I even move the default location of My Documents, Favorites and email store folder in a separate partition so as not to lose them in an OS corruption that reuires reinstall.

But if a separate drive for the OS and programs makes the system run faster, then that would be worth considering. I know keeping the swap file/pagefile in a separate disk than the OS makes a beneficial difference.

not all the time can you do that.. Sometimes the program install a file on the C: drive anyways or needs a registry file.

That's exactly what I had in mind.

einstein_314
12-08-06, 11:56 AM
To me, 4 hard drives is a little excessive....I currently have 2 (well actually 3 - more on that later)

1 for OS and programs
1 for Documents and Pagefile (this one is actually 2 320GB Seagates in a RAID 1 array (RAID 1 is mirroring so if one drive fails, the other is there with a backup))

The problems with putting programs/games on a different hard drive from the OS is that lots of them need registry entries...there is a way to solve this. Somthing to do with right after you install the game, you make a backup of the registry keys associated with that game, and then when you reinstall windows in the future, just import those keys into the registry and it will work...something like that. I've never tried it. I just reinstall all my games and programs.

Putting the pagefile on a separate hard drive doesn't really make that much of a difference these days....With 2GB of RAM, a pagefile is almost not needed. But I always move it to another hard drive.

I've had some bad experiences in the past with failing hard drives so that's why I have a RAID 1 array for my documents. That way I also don't have to do a backup all the time. It's always backed up. And if one drive fails, I just remove it, plug in a new one, and away we go.

So what I'd do is this:

WD 150GB Raptor - OS and programs/games
2x Seagate 320GB SATAII in RAID 1 - Documents and Pagefile

nmdelrio
12-08-06, 12:16 PM
Somthing to do with right after you install the game, you make a backup of the registry keys associated with that game, and then when you reinstall windows in the future, just import those keys into the registry and it will work...something like that.

Well, I wish I knew what the registry entires are for every game or application I install. is there a way, a software perhaps, that to know which new registry entries are made?

Dazz
12-08-06, 12:17 PM
With RAID 0 it means a 74GB + 150GB = 134GB you will cripple your 150GB drive. 150GB + 150GB = 300GB other wise.

einstein_314
12-08-06, 04:46 PM
Well, I wish I knew what the registry entires are for every game or application I install. is there a way, a software perhaps, that to know which new registry entries are made?
Yeah, see that's what I don't know either. Because I'm sure programs put entries in more than one place in the registry...and I have no clue how to find them all. There was a thread relating to this a while back...I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Ha, so it seems I asked this very question....http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66859&highlight=install+programs+separate+hard+drive And the replies were no.