PDA

View Full Version : Success with Raid 0 on EVGA's 680i???

Pages : [1] 2

Labyrinth
12-07-06, 06:35 PM
Has anybody had success in running HDD's in Raid 0 with this mobo right out of the box? I'm seriously considering this board, but I'm a little hesitant now that I've checked out EVGA's forums and people's reviews.

I've got 2 74G Raptors that I want to put in Raid 0 and 2 250GB drives that I want to put in Raid 0.

All I've heard and seen are negative comments about how it doesn't work with this board or how hard it is to get it working right or how something else gets screwed up while attempting it?? WTF??

Anyone?

vmsein
12-07-06, 07:22 PM
I'm running three Raptor 150s in a raid 0 array off of a PCIe SATA raid card. Have not had a single problem so far. I have not tried forming an array off the on die controller though.

jAkUp
12-07-06, 07:30 PM
No problem with my RAID testing.

The issues you are seeing are in the extreme minority, but Nvidia is working on fixing it.

Labyrinth
12-07-06, 10:08 PM
Great. Thanks for the info jakup

TiKiMaN1
12-07-06, 11:32 PM
I think for sure the EVGA board would work. I have 2 sets of HD's in Raid 0 on my board and it works perfect as well.

lduguay
12-08-06, 01:19 PM
I tried three Raptor Raid 0 on that board, got tons of errors and bad performance. RMA'ed the board.

john19055
12-09-06, 12:37 PM
I have two Seagate Barracuda 250gigs running in raid -0 and two Seagate Barracuda 160gig running in raid-0 and I have had no problems what ever ,I got my highest reaidngs with HD Tech with my two 250gigs running in Raid-0
Average Read 134MB's and Burst speed 264mB's ,I ran the 32m test.

ZEROCOOL101
12-13-06, 02:41 PM
I am now having issues with raid 0 corruption on my evga 680i. On the evga forums I see maNy others are having the same issues, I hope Evga or Nvidia find a fix or I am off to Asus or DFi.

http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21626&whichpage=21

jAkUp
12-13-06, 03:00 PM
I am now having issues with raid 0 corruption on my evga 680i. On the evga forums I see may others are having the same issues, I hope evga or nvidia find a fix or I am off to Asus or DFi.

http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21626&whichpage=21

Run your memory at 800MHz. That may fix it for the short term.

queth
12-13-06, 06:35 PM
stop with the lies with 800mhz fixing it.
it doesn't.

jAkUp
12-13-06, 07:21 PM
stop with the lies with 800mhz fixing it.
it doesn't.

It does for me, and plenty others. I also have the issue with over 800MHz sometimes, dropping down to 800MHz keeps it 100% stable. It doesn't fix it for everyone, but it works for many.

Like a few others I occasionally have SATA errors in Event Log, and system freezes when running above 800MHz on the memory.

ZEROCOOL101
12-13-06, 07:41 PM
Since you are a Evga guy, you have anyway to tell use when we will see a fix or if you have any idea when? I have had this mobo for over a month and still no fix :(

nippyjun
12-13-06, 11:34 PM
It does for me, and plenty others. I also have the issue with over 800MHz sometimes, dropping down to 800MHz keeps it 100% stable. It doesn't fix it for everyone, but it works for many.

Like a few others I occasionally have SATA errors in Event Log, and system freezes when running above 800MHz on the memory.

jakUp is this most likely going to be fixed with a software update/ bios update or is it a hardware problem?

Thanks.

Arioch
12-14-06, 12:00 AM
Is this only an issue with RAID or SATA in general?

Hambone
12-15-06, 05:43 PM
If you read the offical board thread, it's doesn't matter if you run RAID or not.

The whole problem is supposedly a write corruption problem. My guess from reading a lot about it is that less than 10% of people who own this board have the problem.

Here's the EVGA thread about it:
http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21626

I just called eVGA tech support, a novel concept, and asked about the new BIOS. I was told that p22 was expected to be out about a week after Christmas. That means the first week in January. I didn't get details but p22 is supposed to fix the SATA issues.

nippyjun
12-15-06, 08:13 PM
It's getting pretty nasty on those boards.

john19055
12-16-06, 03:02 PM
The 800mhz really works ,when I was running my memory at 1100 I got those SATA errors and when I when back to my 1:1 ratio at 800mhz ,I have not had one error.

Arioch
12-16-06, 07:15 PM
Well I am letting Overdrive PC build my system that I ordered Friday and they apparently actually test their systems unlike some of the cheaper builders that claim they do like CyberpowerPC and others. I expressed my concern about the SATA issue with the tech I went over my configuration with and apparently they are aware of it. I decided to go with these guys after HardOCP gave them their award for best build quality in their yearly roundup and after reading a lot of good things about them. Hopefully my faith is well placed. Worst case scenario is that I send my PC back for them to repair since it will be covered under a two year warranty. I also like the fact they actually warranty their overclocks also.

tdream
12-16-06, 07:26 PM
This board is plagued with issues, not worth the price premium at the moment. As has been stated already the board will post and run with high fsb but can corrupt data when pushed too far, lower your fsb and everything will be fine again. This is another sign of pushing beyond the limits of what is feasible, nvidia decided oooo overclockers will love this board cos of the sky high fsb that you can reach, but at what cost? Data corruption, nahh.... they won't mind... yeah right! :thumbdwn:

Also the packet prioritisation thing for gaming, hands down doesn't work. And a lot of people are running wireless these days so it would be a lot more useful to run this through a software layer rather than have to resort to the LAN ports only. :(

And the raid performance is average, intel's ICH7R/ICH8R southbridge matrix raid performance is amazing compared to this and intel's boards are cheaper to boot! (lee63)

Do yourself a favour if you don't need 8800GTX SLI get the PB5 Deluxe or AW9D Max instead. 680i overated and overhyped.

jAkUp
12-17-06, 03:55 AM
P23 BIOS is released :D

ftp://ftp.evga.com/BIOS/p23beta.bin

Arioch
12-17-06, 04:32 AM
http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23034

Looks like it addresses the SATA issues so hopefully some of you guys can give feedback - my Overdrive PC system is about to be built with this motherboard so I am interested on how well this bios works.

jAkUp
12-17-06, 10:12 AM
Definitely fixed it for me. Now I can run 1.1GHz without worries :)

I will try to get a changelist Monday.

Arioch
12-17-06, 06:24 PM
Definitely fixed it for me. Now I can run 1.1GHz without worries :)

I will try to get a changelist Monday.

Any idea when it will be released as an "official" bios update?

ZEROCOOL101
12-24-06, 02:37 PM
The new P23 bios still didnt fix my raid 0 corruption. I hope this gets fixed soon :(

Arioch
12-24-06, 04:58 PM
I know these issues are annoying but I must say I am impressed with the effort EVGA is putting into trying to get it fixed - their community feedback is a whole lot better than some of the other motherboard makers I have seen.