PDA

View Full Version : Should I upgrade yes or no???

mxmightymc
12-08-06, 12:26 AM
My current system setup is:

A8N SLI Deluxe
AMD FX 53
xfx 7950GX2 XXX
2GB CORSAIR XML TWINX 2.2.2.2.5

I want to upgrade to this (below) but not sure if is the right time or should I wait?

ASUS P5N32-E SLI nForce 680i
core 2 duo e6700
xfx 7950GX2 XXX (I will upgrade later to 8800gtx when overclocked ones are available)
DDR2 please recommend??

I'm mostly looking to see if its the right time to upgrade the CPU and MB. Please let know anything that I should know about!

Spartan 117
12-08-06, 12:29 AM
well, it depends, if you FX is starting to be bottlenecked and can no longer play the newest games without slowing down, then upgrading the CPU would be a good idea like the FX-60 for your Socket 939 mobo, but if you intend on OC a lot, then go with with Conroe or Kentsfield if you have the money, andn then go for a Nforce 680i mobo and a G80 GPU for the best and such

buffbiff21
12-08-06, 12:29 AM
Negative. That system looks great.

If you have the money though...

go Nike style and Just Do It.

sillyeagle
12-08-06, 12:42 AM
Do you have your CPU overclocked? I would do that instead of upgrading. My CPU is working just fine for me right now. I'm going to upgrade later in the year when something like crysis comes along that will actually take advantage of dual cores. But at 2.75GHz i'm doing fine right now.

mxmightymc
12-08-06, 08:43 AM
can I do a quad sli with my board?

buffbiff21
12-08-06, 09:03 AM

Should be able to, yeah.

EDIT
But try to do that if you need the AA or have a big monitor.

Tygerwoody
12-08-06, 09:11 AM
"quad SLI" is probably one of the biggest wastes of money in video card history. The dumbest thing you could ever do is buy another 7950Gx2. If you are going to do anything video card wise, get the 8800GTX. Other than that, just stay how you are.

litri
12-08-06, 09:29 AM
"quad SLI" is probably one of the biggest wastes of money in video card history. The dumbest thing you could ever do is buy another 7950Gx2. If you are going to do anything video card wise, get the 8800GTX. Other than that, just stay how you are.

I wouldn't say that, it could happen that with Vista the famous "three-buffer limit" in DirectX 9, which cramps Quad SLI's performance potential, is gone and then some people can unleash a sort of sleeping beast. :D

However, I doubt Microsoft has fixed that even if there are tons of GX2 users.

Tygerwoody
12-08-06, 09:40 AM
I wouldn't say that, it could happen that with Vista the famous "three-buffer limit" in DirectX 9, which cramps Quad SLI's performance potential, is gone and then some people can unleash a sort of sleeping beast. :D

However, I doubt Microsoft has fixed that even if there are tons of GX2 users.
Personally... i think the GX2 is a great card. I use to own one before my 8800GTX. If i still had a GX2, I would be just as happy. I'm sure 99% of the people reading this disagree though. :D

With that said... nothing on this earth could make me want to purchase a second GX2 if I still had one. I dont care if it gives 100% increase(which as of now its really only about 5%), its simply not worth it.

nekrosoft13
12-08-06, 09:48 AM
GX2 is a nice card, but going quad is just dumb

you have no need to upgrade your CPU, but if you have money to spare, go ahead

vmsein
12-08-06, 10:01 AM
Some believe that it's always the right time to upgrade as there will always be something better right around the corner. You have to take the plunge sometime or you will be stuck waiting on the sidelines for the right moment. If money is not an issue, your upgrade list looks pretty good to me:D

grimreefer
12-08-06, 10:52 AM
Do you have your CPU overclocked? I would do that instead of upgrading. My CPU is working just fine for me right now. I'm going to upgrade later in the year when something like crysis comes along that will actually take advantage of dual cores. But at 2.75GHz i'm doing fine right now.
crysis takes advantage of 4 cores, so u should have quad core by teh time it comes out lol.

HeavyH20
12-08-06, 11:41 AM
There is a never a "right" time for an upgrade. The CPU will open up the 7950GX2 quite a bit. I had a single 7950 GX2 in a single core Opteron 148 (at 2.75 Ghz) and it worked decently but things improved with a dual core setup. You could always consider a dual core Opteron or like as an interim step that would only cost you $75 (purchase less selling the FX-53). Then you avoid the cost of a new motherboard, RAM and a CPU that would set you back $800. But, then again, I was never one to wait or keep to a budget ;)

buffbiff21
12-08-06, 11:55 AM
But, then again, I was never one to wait or keep to a budget ;)

Empathy dude, empathy.

lol

I cant resist buying the newest crap...

Being able to slide the graphics bars in games all the way to the max, and not having to worry about FPS drop, is really a luxury.

mxmightymc
12-08-06, 02:23 PM
I want to be ready for crysis when is that coming out?

TiKiMaN1
12-08-06, 02:45 PM

Then it's time to upgrade IMO for sure.:D You will want DX10 cards and Quad SLI requires x16 SLI board which the A8N SLI is not.

I say 680i + 8800 or 8900 GTX and Core 2 Duo.

The best way in my opinion to know you are completely ready for Crysis is to have a system that will scream when playing UT 2007 this summer.:D

(nana2)

buffbiff21
12-08-06, 03:08 PM
Quad SLI requires x16 SLI board which the A8N SLI is not.
(nana2)

Im pretty sure the GX2 s are X8 speed...?

I owned one myself, could be mistaken for SLI, i never SLIed them...

HeavyH20
12-08-06, 03:15 PM
Im pretty sure the GX2 s are X8 speed...?

I owned one myself, could be mistaken for SLI, i never SLIed them...

Each card is x16 with each sub card at x8. While it will work, performance gains in QUAD will be limited.

sillyeagle
12-08-06, 06:06 PM

Should be out by Christmas next year if we are lucky. Its been pushed back to August for now, but may get pushed back more.

john19055
12-08-06, 10:32 PM
I would save the money and get a Core 2 Duo E6600 since they overclock just as good as the E6700.Look like the price of the Quad Duo went down some to $ 1199 still to high for me.