PDA

View Full Version : Best video editing CPU

Bearclaw
12-08-06, 12:59 AM
I am building a PC for my friend who plans on doing a lot of video editing. I picked out all the parts for him and picked out a Core 2 chip and the 680i just cause it is the latest.

He wants to go with AMD and says it is better for video editing. I say that the Core2 or the new quad is the way to go? What do you guys think?

Roadhog
12-08-06, 01:01 AM
core 2 duo definetly.

Bearclaw
12-08-06, 01:06 AM
core 2 duo definetly.
Thats what I keep saying. He is having a friend chekc over all the parts I picked out and he is saying AMD. I am like no way but his friend is bringing up it matters how many threads and applications your using..and if it is more than one then go with AMD or something..I don't even knwo who his friend his but I don't know where he get's his logic.

..I don't know. Maybe I am out of the loop on this.

stevemedes
12-08-06, 01:08 AM
i thought macs were the best for editing video?

Roadhog
12-08-06, 01:10 AM

mainly because they have alot of ram and 2 processors. ;)

Bearclaw
12-08-06, 02:00 AM
Ya but he wants to build a PC also. Not buy a PC or Mac.

shaker718
12-08-06, 07:59 AM
I have a dual core 3800 and its great for video editing. Just make sure the program he's using for editing is multi-threaded (all the major ones are). But frankly if I had the cash I'd go for a C2D or quad if I was seriously doing large projects.

Inf1n1tyComplex
12-08-06, 08:23 AM
Thats what I keep saying. He is having a friend chekc over all the parts I picked out and he is saying AMD. I am like no way but his friend is bringing up it matters how many threads and applications your using..and if it is more than one then go with AMD or something..I don't even knwo who his friend his but I don't know where he get's his logic.

..I don't know. Maybe I am out of the loop on this.
Their are a lot of reviews on the net... Google a few and show them to your friend then have him print them out and show them to his other friend... Then take an old spare AMD cpu and shove it up the guys ass and tell him thatís the only way currently an AMD cpu will help you out perform a QX6700 quad core or a core2 duo with video editing while exclaiming "keeps you awake doesnít it...":udawg:

ynnek
12-08-06, 01:33 PM
just curious, what software is he using? I want to get my feet wet into it (have a couple miniDV tapes full of unedited various video) , but never settled on which software to spend my money on.