View Full Version : Time till PS3 HD DVD addon

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

evilchris
12-08-06, 03:30 AM
It's inevitable =)

Mr. Hunt
12-08-06, 03:35 AM
Where is never?

Oh that's right, you gotta be a douchebag, as usual.

evilchris
12-08-06, 03:36 AM
Where is never?

Oh that's right, you gotta be a douchebag, as usual.

I only listed reasonable possibilities in my poll.

http://www.nndb.com/people/599/000025524/michaelflatley03.jpg

msxyz
12-08-06, 03:55 AM
I don't think it's going to happen.

At this point it's much more likely that the new CEO who will dethrone Howard Stinger in a year will close shop completely and he will bring back Sony to its core businness focusing on quality and features. Basically this is what the angry stockholders want, now.

Alaa
12-08-06, 06:09 AM
1st Q 22nd Century

Bad_Boy
12-08-06, 07:15 AM
never. though I wouldnt doubt a hack could be made on linux sooner or later for an external drive. :p

Namrok
12-08-06, 07:28 AM
never. though I wouldnt doubt a hack could be made on linux sooner or later for an external drive. :p

LOL. How beautiful would that be. The 360 HD-DVD drive being used with the PS3.

dsessom
12-08-06, 08:14 AM
PS3 is Sony technology.

BluRay is Sony technology (which it has been spending lots of money marketing).

There is more chance of Ford selling vehicles with Chevy engines.

Namrok
12-08-06, 08:16 AM
PS3 is Sony technology.

There is more chance of Ford selling vehicles with Chevy engines.

Yeah, but even Sony made VHS players after a while.

XxDeadlyxX
12-08-06, 08:23 AM
Yeah, but even Sony made VHS players after a while.

True, however I think if they do release any HD-DVD products they will be unrelated to the PS3. But it really is just too hard to tell at this point. No one really knows how this battle will play out.

Tygerwoody
12-08-06, 08:29 AM
I only listed reasonable possibilities in my poll.

http://www.nndb.com/people/599/000025524/michaelflatley03.jpg
ZOMG HE IS SO HOT! I BET HE GETS ALL THE LADIES! CHISELED FROM STONE! WATCH HIM DANCE! WOW!

/hunt

Marvel_us
12-08-06, 09:48 AM
LOL. How beautiful would that be. The 360 HD-DVD drive being used with the PS3.

Lol, PSP works with Xbox360.

I'd say probably 24 months.

Then Sony will brag about how their HD-DVD drive is better than the Blu-Ray drive in PS3 and 360's HD-DVD drive put together.:p

MustangSVT
12-08-06, 09:54 AM
Never. I believe Sony will take Blu-Ray to the grave with them if need be rather than admit defeat.

LurkerLito
12-08-06, 10:05 AM
Never would really the only choice. I couldn't see any possibility that any official Sony player would ever come out.

Third party Linux would be a possibility though, using a USB addon drive like the MS one, but I doubt it would be free, someone has to pay the HD-DVD consortium their royalties to get a decryption key. Though it would be rather ironic if the only universal player was the PS3. Still it would be an unfriendly player boot normal to play BR and boot to Linux to play HD-DVD.

lightman
12-08-06, 10:12 AM
Never.

six_storm
12-08-06, 10:57 AM
Never. I believe Sony will take Blu-Ray to the grave with them if need be rather than admit defeat.

I second that one. Sony is too ashamed to admit BR is crap and is too expensive to make. Heck, I'm still waiting on the VHS add-on for the PS3. That'll be the system seller right there.

|MaguS|
12-08-06, 11:16 AM

No it's not... Sony is just the most outspoken member from the BRA so everyone associates Blu-Ray with them.

Namrok
12-08-06, 11:20 AM
No it's not... Sony is just the most outspoken member from the BRA so everyone associates Blu-Ray with them.

Something the rest of the BRA may be coming to regret :p

|MaguS|
12-08-06, 11:27 AM
Something the rest of the BRA may be coming to regret :p

Thats true... Sony has a big mouth that gets them introuble often but for BR to be officially deemed dead the entire Association would have to agree it dead which most members wouldn't since they too spent ALOT of money developing BR.

What I see happening is in a year or so, they will release another version of BR that will be cheaper since the cost is the only thing HD-DVD really has on BR. Video quality is due to poor encoding on the disc since they both support the same codecs for audio and video, which means if they can actually be even to HD-DVD quality.

Oh and those that think the recent problems are due to Stringer need to get a clue. He was put in charge to fix these problems with Sony's PR and out of focus with consumers. Alot of the things you have seen in the past 2 years were due to the old CEO, You can't change a giant company instantly but if you look at the recent changes they are being more consumer focused. They removed Kutaragi from a development position who never thought of the consumers aswell as they are restructoring and selling alot of assets that were just failing. Stringer said himself that he wants to bring back the Sony that developed the Walkman... if it can be done, who knows...

superklye
12-08-06, 11:32 AM
What I see happening is in a year or so, they will release another version of BR that will be cheaper since the cost is the only thing HD-DVD really has on BR. Video quality is due to poor encoding on the disc since they both support the same codecs for audio and video, which means if they can actually be even to HD-DVD quality.
Not true...HD DVDs are also quicker/easier to produce and they've got the hybrid discs with HD DVD on one side and SD DVD on the other. I know a number of people that are buying those discs already because they don't have the money for an HD DVD player yet, but they can spend a bit more on movies they want now so that when they CAN afford an HD DVD player, they've got the movies in HD already.

|MaguS|
12-08-06, 11:34 AM
Not true...HD DVDs are also quicker/easier to produce and they've got the hybrid discs with HD DVD on one side and SD DVD on the other. I know a number of people that are buying those discs already because they don't have the money for an HD DVD player yet, but they can spend a bit more on movies they want now so that when they CAN afford an HD DVD player, they've got the movies in HD already.

Cheap = Quicker/ease to manufacture... As for the hybrid discs... I really don't give a crap on my end... When DVDs released I just bought the movies I had on VHS and then threw out my VHS tapes...

superklye
12-08-06, 11:37 AM
Cheap = Quicker/ease to manufacture...
Fair enough.

As for the hybrid discs... I really don't give a crap on my end... When DVDs released I just bought the movies I had on VHS and then threw out my VHS tapes...
It doesn't really matter if you or I care about those because we fall into the technical elite. I'm talking about Joe and Jane America who don't know sh!t about sh!t but know that HD is the way things are going but can't afford to invest in an HDTV or one of the players.

They buy an HD DVD/DVD hybrid now so they can watch their movies in SD and then down the road, they've got them in HD, too. Like I said, I know a LOT of people doing this already. It may not be a big deal to us, but to average consumers, it is. That's the main reason my dad is considering HD DVD.

|MaguS|
12-08-06, 11:44 AM
Fair enough.

It doesn't really matter if you or I care about those because we fall into the technical elite. I'm talking about Joe and Jane America who don't know sh!t about sh!t but know that HD is the way things are going but can't afford to invest in an HDTV or one of the players.

They buy an HD DVD/DVD hybrid now so they can watch their movies in SD and then down the road, they've got them in HD, too. Like I said, I know a LOT of people doing this already. It may not be a big deal to us, but to average consumers, it is. That's the main reason my dad is considering HD DVD.

Well look at the comparison between nextgen movie formats and the shift to DVD. Did you ever see any DVD/VHS hybrids? I think only a small percentage of the population knows or cares about the hybrids, right now the biggest concern is price. Even right now the price difference between HD-DVD isn't much on the media side... its the players that need to shift.

If the price of BR Players can actually drop sometime in the next 5 years... and Sony actually make enough PS3s while the movies get better encoding then I can see BR outlasting HD-DVD... but thats alot of "ifs".

superklye
12-08-06, 11:47 AM
Making a DVD/VHS hybrid comparison is just retarded.

|MaguS|
12-08-06, 11:50 AM
Making a DVD/VHS hybrid comparison is just retarded.

Why? It was a shift in movie media just like HD-DVD and Blu-Ray is trying to do now... It's the SAME thing... We went from one inferior format to a superior one, no one cared about having to repurchase movies they already owned on VHS on DVD. Why can't the same happen with the nextgen media?

You used Hybrid DVDs as a selling point of why HD-DVD is superior but I shown you that it doesn't matter for the majority of the population as long as the price is there.