PDA

View Full Version : 8800GTX Dust collector?

Roadhog
12-09-06, 01:16 AM
The blower design on this card is a perfect dust collector. All the dust builds up right in the beginning of the cooling fins preventing the air from passing. I was thinking of putting some soft of filter over the intake of the card so I don't have to clean it out every couple weeks... Think that would work?

SLippe
12-09-06, 01:22 AM
I don't know why it wouldn't. Does the Zalman VF900 fit the 8 series cards? That would probably better, if so. I know what you mean, though, the HSF designs on the 6 & 7 series are the same way.

Roadhog
12-09-06, 01:26 AM
I don't know why it wouldn't. Does the Zalman VF900 fit the 8 series cards? That would probably better, if so. I know what you mean, though, the HSF designs on the 6 & 7 series are the same way.

It seems to be the worst on the 8 series because of how far set back the fins are making it hard to get the dust out with compressed air. So i'll probably tape a little mesh filter thing like on the front filters of my P180 over the intake of the g80 so I don't have to take it apart and clean it every few weeks.

Also, I think I sorta trapped my card in my case with the water cooling tubes.. lol

SLippe
12-09-06, 01:29 AM
It seems to be the worst on the 8 series because of how far set back the fins are making it hard to get the dust out with compressed air. So i'll probably tape a little mesh filter thing like on the front filters of my P180 over the intake of the g80 so I don't have to take it apart and clean it every few weeks.

Also, I think I sorta trapped my card in my case with the water cooling tubes.. lol
Oh, I see. LOL Hell, I've even started turning my PC off instead of letting it run 24/7, because of the dust factor.

Lfctony
12-09-06, 03:46 AM
Well, I've installed a blower below the card as suggested by a user in another thread and it dropped my temps a bit, but dust will get stuck at the beginning of the heatsink slowly bringing temps up. A vacuum cleaner sounds better for removing dust since the spray duster will just push the dust further in...

williv
12-09-06, 08:19 AM
I don't know why it wouldn't. Does the Zalman VF900 fit the 8 series cards? That would probably better, if so. I know what you mean, though, the HSF designs on the 6 & 7 series are the same way.The VF900 will fit the card with a small modification, you have to remove the shim surrounding the core and use those screw holes to mount the Zalman, i posted last week after i did it, brought my temps down 8*, but i was getting crashes and i wasnt sure if it was related to the fact that the zalmans fan was plugged into the motherboard and not the fan socket on the card. Thought maybe it was some sort of safety thing with the cards function, like it couldnt detect a fan so it shuts down to prevent overheating?

Dazz
12-09-06, 09:03 AM
Wasn't that on the 6800 where the card would slow down if it did not detect the fan.

williv
12-09-06, 09:26 AM
Wasn't that on the 6800 where the card would slow down if it did not detect the fan.
Yeah, thats why i thought this might have been the same issue, i had a 6800 and i messed with it and the same thing happened. The Zalmans fan connector is different to the one on the 8800 but an adapter would work. The Zalman did seem to cool better on the 8800 core but you need to buy a bunch of ramsinks to cool everything alse.

Sir Random
12-09-06, 09:36 AM
Ask the girlfriend for an old pair of tights/stockings, and cut them up to make dust filters.

SlieTheSecond
12-09-06, 12:31 PM
Aye, same thing with my GTS. I wasn't impressed with the air flow so I ripped off the plastic and did a change. I was amazed at how much dust was already on the fan after only a week and a half.