PDA

View Full Version : x-fi?

glennalan
12-09-06, 01:31 AM
I've been considering buying a x-fi sound card... one problem that I've heard is the popping noises. I remember going to radio shack to get a new cable rf conector and they had those gold plated ones that are suppose to be far more supperior to silver. I put that on and turned on the tv and got a staticky screen and returned and got the silver one and got no static.
I think that if you have gold to gold conections thery are probably right, but if you mix gold to silver conections you have a spec change that causes static.... any comments?

SLippe
12-09-06, 01:47 AM
Yeah, what does gold connectors for your TV have to do with X-Fi sound card? Forgive me, as I don't own one. Just confused about your post.

Bman212121
12-09-06, 01:54 AM
The popping noises mainly come from Nforce4 motherboards. They can also happen on many other types, but they aren't nearly as bad as Nforce4 boards.

What type of mobo do you have?

Other than that, I think the card was worth the $150 I paid for sure. It sounds a lot better than onboard sound, no matter what is hooked up to it. Then if you pair it will some Logitech Z5500's or a pair of Sennheiser headphones, it goes to a whole new level.

john19055
12-09-06, 04:29 AM
With the new Evga 680i SLI with the Bios update ,takes care of all the popping or static noise.

glennalan
12-09-06, 12:26 PM
Do you have any conections that are gold to silver and have no popping noise?
I suspect that "IS" what the problem is myself. I am not 100% certain of that,but I wouldn't rebuild my PC around such an effort myself.
It is obvious that some people who have bought this board have it working right while some don't.
What I am saying is I have seen no mention of people considering gold to silver conections to be causing their problem. I've had gold plated audio cables before to and they did not provide better performance than the silver to silver conections...
If the Logitech speakers are not gold plated conections to then I find it hard to believe that they don't pop conected to the x-fi regardless of what type of motherboard.
Just my opinion, but I will buy no more "FAR MORE SUPERIOR" gold plated A/V products just to find out that they are not.

glennalan
12-09-06, 12:51 PM
These are just my opinions,but the first thing I would have to check is to see if radioshack makes an adapter that is gold on one end and silver on the other. It has been many years since I have noticed the stores selling gold plated cables when all recievers that they sell are sliver or aluminum. Thinking that spending the extra money to upgrade to expensive gold plated cables to connect to silver audio devices is a waste of time and vice versa. If they work for you thats good, but I would be disapointed to buy a new set of speakers along with that gold plated sound card just to get low quality sound. Waves of static.