PDA

View Full Version : You knew it was a matter of time...

Zelda_fan
12-09-06, 09:57 PM
http://wii.ign.com/articles/750/750001p1.html

That didn't take long.

I'm always amused by the pathetic attempts some people have to try and latch on to someone else's hard-earned success.

Q
12-09-06, 10:00 PM
When I heard about the Wii remote I immediately thought of this line of products...

http://www.gyration.com/en-US/ProductDetail.html?modelnum=GC1005M&accshow=3

But your right...everyone from out of the woodwork always wants to cash in on other people's success.

shungokusatsu
12-09-06, 10:07 PM
Nothing new, really. Every controller after N64 has been taken to court due to patents. The patents always win, they need to just settle out of court as usual to avoid legal fees and move on.

Namrok
12-09-06, 10:35 PM
It always pisses me off seeing these companies that have nothing to do with gaming cashing in on gaming success through hoarding patents they don't even use. I wish they'd put an end to this practice soon, it pisses me off.

Cream
12-10-06, 04:10 PM
I'm always amused by the pathetic attempts some people have to try and latch on to someone else's hard-earned success.

Question is who's hard earned success is it, If they have taken the idea off that company do they not have a legitimate case to ask for compensation. After all it may be their 'hard-earned success' that is being ripped off.

Zelda_fan
12-10-06, 05:10 PM
Question is who's hard earned success is it, If they have taken the idea off that company do they not have a legitimate case to ask for compensation. After all it may be their 'hard-earned success' that is being ripped off.

Nintendo did the marketing, Nintendo made the games, Nintendo designed the console, Nintendo manufactured the remote. I'd say the success was earned by Nintendo.

At the very WORST, Nintendo simply used an idea as part of one feature in their console. I suppose we should have to pay royalties every time we design a keyboard because it uses plastic?

Riplayne
12-10-06, 05:16 PM
Although it sucks, its neccesary because without Patents people get screwed over. Not so much in this case because whoever owned the patent didnt do anything with it

AndY1
12-11-06, 03:54 AM
Wasn't the Star Trek's: The Next Generation who 'invented' phaser long before this 'patent'?

EvilEye
12-11-06, 05:36 AM
These companies (like Nintendo) very well knows how to check if a product is in violation of an existing patent. It more seams like Nintendo knew this and just carried on with the design.

I have seen designs simular to this before, but I guess, (like someone here said) now that someone actually makes money of it, it's court time.

Namrok
12-11-06, 06:07 AM
The problem is there are just things that patents should not get issued for, but because these people don't understand technology, they do it anyways.

I mean listen to this patent

The patent describes the advice as a "trigger operated device in the nature of a pointing device for use with an electronic system such as a computer."

The device does not have motion sensors, it does not triangulate positions, it can't even be used as a true pointer since it has a joystick on top which actually moves the cursor! What Nintendo is getting sued over is putting buttons on the thing. BUTTONS! It's retarded. ****, maybe Nintendo should counter sue for the joystick that they use on their device.

It's retarded, plain and simple. Read their patent. They made a POS that nobody would want to use, claimed it's a "pointer" even though you have to use a D-pad/joystick type thing on the top of the device to move your cursor, and are suing Nintendo because they succeeded in engineering something they only wish they came up with.

nemecb
12-12-06, 11:54 AM
I wish I could remember where I saw it, but somewhere I read a post that basically ripped this lawsuit to shreds. It went something along the lines of the wiimote doesn't actually transmit IR (and apparently this one does, although I don't know for sure), this thing doesn't have the gyroscopic capabilities, and apparently part of their suit is about the trigger, which is moronic because triggers have been around practically forever. Oh, and apparently you don't actually move the cursor by moving the device, you have to use a little joystick type thing on top, so it's really no different from any game controller made in the past 25 years.

I also have to wonder if Nintendo doesn't have prior art, since this patent was only filed in Feb. 2005, and they announced this only about 6 months later, so I'm guessing they had been working on it for more than 6 months.

If this does go through it's a load of (bs2)