PDA

View Full Version : 7900GTO

glennalan
12-10-06, 04:34 PM
Any viewers here with the GTO card? Curious to if you are happy with its performance. I had a ati x800xl that was decent at the time it played most of the games I had very well...FARCRY,COD2, etc. the GTO performs well i wish I had a gto sli setup though now everyone is talking about the 8800gtx.
Wouldn't a $250.00 8800gto be nice? I doubt that will happen...

stevemedes
12-10-06, 04:37 PM
Any viewers here with the GTO card? Curious to if you are happy with its performance. I had a ati x800xl that was decent at the time it played most of the games I had very well...FARCRY,COD2, etc. the GTO performs well i wish I had a gto sli setup though now everyone is talking about the 8800gtx.
Wouldn't a $250.00 8800gto be nice? I doubt that will happen...

I have the GTO and I love it! Runs all my games at high detail with antialiasing and anisotropic. Then again I only have a 1280x1024 monitor. If you have a bigger monitor you might want something more powerful.

InSuboRdiNaTioN
12-10-06, 04:43 PM
Absolutely love my GTO. Definitely the best money I've spent on a card.

glennalan
12-10-06, 05:03 PM
I run mostly maxed settings too though I only have a 2.2ghz 3700+.
I can run GRAW maxed out with 8xsAA and 16AF with a lttle lag here and there but nothing too annoying mostly on cutin scenes the fps drop then pick up to normal.
It runs Quake 4 excellently at settings maxed though at ultra high settings I get some lag but I don't prefer the ultra settings anyhow. Runs FEAR maxed very smoothly to.

glennalan
12-10-06, 05:10 PM
Oh I forgot to mention thats only 1280 x 1024 resolutions to. I remember playing the Quake 4 demo with my 800xl and it was nothing but lag...the thing is when I first downloaded Quake 4 with my 7900GTO the game was running the same way as with my 800xl terrible (non-playable) I don't reallly don't know what changed that it ended up running fine maxed at 60 fps like vsync is on.

glennalan
12-10-06, 05:19 PM
I've thought of getting a 1600 or 1680 resolution monitor though with this 2.2ghz 3700+ I think my system will be too challenged and lag at that especially with the future games.
I was really considering the ati 1900 xt I think it was and there was alot written about these cards in comparison but I never actually found anyplace selling the 1900xt 256mb. I'm glad I bought this gto though begore they all sold out seeing how I really never had a choice between it or the 1900xt.

K-1
12-10-06, 05:28 PM
I run mostly maxed settings too though I only have a 2.2ghz 3700+.
I can run GRAW maxed out with 8xsAA and 16AF with a lttle lag here and there but nothing too annoying mostly on cutin scenes the fps drop then pick up to normal.
It runs Quake 4 excellently at settings maxed though at ultra high settings I get some lag but I don't prefer the ultra settings anyhow. Runs FEAR maxed very smoothly to.

Just FYI, AA doesn't actually work in GRAW, so even if you force it in the CP, it's not actually on. Has to do with the deferred lighting method the game uses.

glennalan
12-10-06, 08:19 PM
Are you sure about that AA? It sure seems to me that the AA is being forced
in through the control panel because I usually have some tight telephone lines
and the AA was nealrly untolerable. Nearly every straight ling in GRAW had the jaggies before I configured the control panel succesfully.

glennalan
12-10-06, 09:11 PM
I started out playing GRAW on my brothers 32" LCD and I really couldn't stand the unbelievable amount of jaggies on everything. On my 17" monitor I don't notice any jaggies.
Band of Brothers Road to Hill 30 has no AA either, but with the AA forced in through the control panel I usally have got solid crisp telephone lines reguardless of what YOU THINK!

stevemedes
12-10-06, 09:40 PM
my tephleone wries are crispar!

HeavyH20
12-10-06, 10:24 PM
The GTO is the best bang for the buck card, this year. If you can get one, I highly recommend these cards.

glennalan
12-11-06, 12:54 AM
As far as I know the gto has been sold out for a while now...When I bought my X800xl it was the best bang for the buck card at the time in the magazine reviews.

glennalan
12-12-06, 05:31 AM
I remember the AA in Band of Brothers was terrible to and I went to the internet and what I found was try to force it in through the control panel I didn't think it worked at first either. The telephone lines still aren't perfectly solid though the distant ones are still dashed but the nearer ones are solid.