PDA

View Full Version : Laptops and Directx 10

nV`andrew
12-10-06, 05:43 PM
Hi,

I'm shopping for a laptop for my brother, and i was just making sure that u still need an 8800 Go (whenever they come out...) for future vista games requiring directx 10. Cuz i was thinking maybe i can just get one with an X1400 now and would i be able to upgrade to an 8800 series card later? Thank you

stncttr908
12-10-06, 05:46 PM
The number of laptops with upgradeable graphics chipsets is very small, and even if you did have one, finding the part would be next to impossible and very expensive. A budget laptop with a low power chipset just isn't engineered for an 8800 to be dropped in.

Either get him something cheap for now and then buy a new machine later, or wait.

nV`andrew
12-10-06, 06:29 PM
The number of laptops with upgradeable graphics chipsets is very small, and even if you did have one, finding the part would be next to impossible and very expensive. A budget laptop with a low power chipset just isn't engineered for an 8800 to be dropped in.

Either get him something cheap for now and then buy a new machine later, or wait.

yeah i figured that. thanks a lot. he wants to use it for gaming so i suppose we will wait =/ because a 7900gs would be a waste if he can only use for a few months and may face the problem of not being able to upgrade it at all