PDA

View Full Version : What you all think of MOO3?

Greg
03-03-03, 08:41 PM
I've read a few reviews that suggest it is a lot of fun, but has some flaws. But what do you players think? By the way, I own Moo1 and Moo2 and still play Moo1 since I like it better.

DaveW
03-04-03, 07:26 PM
Greg,

I have it and its terrible :cry:

I've been waiting 3 years for this game and it just sucks. You can actually win the game by doing NOTHING but clicking the "next turn" button 200 times.

All the things I loved about MOO2 have been ruined in MOO3...

Research:

I enjoyed picking a tech to research, then seeing a cool animation of it when its done with a techno-babble description of it. True, all that is really relevant is its size and damage, but I liked the weapons I research to look cool and sound nasty. In MOO3 researching a major new tech is a non-event. Just one line of text in your log "research on phasor rifles has been complete".

Ship Design:

I then liked to spend a while designing ships to use the new techs I invented. It was neat to name your ship "Battletwat" or something and then load it up with the latest kit that made it twice as deadly as its previous generation. In MOO3 the ship design is overly complicated and it feels like a waste of time in the end for the following reason...

Combat:

Where your time in ship design really payed off in MOO2 was in seeing how they do in combat. It was quiet an experience to see your lone little Battletwat cruiser defend your planet against a fleet of 6 enemy ships because your cruiser was refitted with the very latest tech you researched, while your technically inferior enemys got crushed despite their superior numbers. In MOO3 your pet ship is just a small blob among 150 others and good luck finding which one it is. You have no way of knowing if the design change you made to a particular ship is good or bad, since everything is fleet based. You just don't feel like part of the combat.

Basically you feel detached from the whole game. It has no personality. Its plays like an automated spreadsheet, except a spreadsheet is more fun.

Greg
03-04-03, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the comments Dave, if you keep playing the game and change your mind about it, let us know, it may take some getting used to?

In the mean time, I might avoid the game and keep playing MOO1 until something comes to take its place. I may even give MOO2 another go, but I think it was stolen from my house a while back along with most of my old game CDs (the mongrels! now I only have a shelf full of manuals).

Nephilim
03-04-03, 10:13 PM
I hated it at first too. I was a big MoO2 fan and MoO3 just killed everything. That is, until I looked at it another way (and this DOES take some getting used to).....

Macromanagement, not micromanagement.

Yes. MoO3 succeeds in virtually eliminating micromanagement.

This was posted on another site, and it pretty much sums up how I feel about it:

I think that the point I went from hating this game to liking it is the point when I stopped trying to manage my colonies...at least not more than a couple...and that was just to modify the military build queue.

Stop trying to micro.....this game was not meant for it.
Let the AI handle your stuff, let the turns go by faster.....you'll get a better feel for the pace this game should be played at, and the excitement of it.

Make some dev plans and lay off the management. The AI wont to just what you want at first, since you are inexperienced. Learn, and modify your dev plans.

Try to get your head around macromanagement......I know its very hard. It is so different from what we are used to in all the other TBS games.

But its how moo3 works......this game is very different from thsoe that have come before.....revolutionary even.

Its not about controlling all your planets. Its about controlling the algorithm by which the AI chooses what it will build on your planets.....

Its about playing through turns fairly quickly, without having to deal with every planet you ownalways popping up and asking for new build orders.....its about a more fast paced game, more exciting....

Stop microing, and you may start to like this game a lot more, and your criticisms vanish.

The Baron
03-04-03, 11:18 PM
Nephilim, I hate you.

Now I actually have to think and decide between Freelancer and MOO3... *sob* ;)

DaveW
03-05-03, 09:03 AM
Freelancer is immediately fun and has gotten more runtime on my machine than MOO3. If I ever have a weekend to myself maybe I will give MOO3 another long try and perhaps I will like it. I don't know. Sushi is an acquired taste, but I still don't feel the urge to puke a bunch of times just to add one more food group to my menu.

Nephilim
03-05-03, 01:18 PM
Well, as the saying goes, "Different strokes for different folks."

I'm not saying that anyone HAS to like MoO3. Just giving a different perspective. :)