PDA

View Full Version : An idea

sytaylor
12-11-06, 09:13 AM
Gents,

How many amoung you find yourselves offering counselling or advice for parents buying games/consoles for their kids, especially around christmas time? It would be a whole lot easier if there were a central resource for that kind of info, in a well written, parent friendly environment. A sort of stamp of approval that parents could trust, and a no bull guide to video game content vs video game media hype. Thoughts?

Namrok
12-11-06, 09:23 AM
That would work...except the reason our families ask us in the first place is they want to put absolutely no effort into their pursuit of gift ideas. Which means no internet, no reading, not even a simple google and a click.

And as I learned the hard way, they especially like having someone to blame when the gift doesn't turn out to be the best give ever.

Lyme
12-11-06, 09:40 AM
If you have young kids, less than eight years old, buy a Wii.
If you have kids between 8 and 16 and want to get something on the cheap, get a ps2.
If your between the ages of 28 and the late fifties get a xbox 360.
If your older than late fifties a Wii is back in style.
Between the ages of 17 and 27, they should either know what they want or buy it themselves.

Why no ps3? Unless your looking on ebay, your not going to find one.
Why the Wii? Nintendo has shown while supplies are in demand, they are producing and shipping quite a lot of them.

Peoples-Agent
12-12-06, 02:04 AM
I would recommend a 360 with Gears of War for all kids under 14.

It's a good means of syphoning out the psychos in society far earlier, than waiting for them to grow older and go on a spree.

Lyme
12-12-06, 09:34 AM
I would recommend a 360 with Gears of War for all kids under 14.

It's a good means of syphoning out the psychos in society far earlier, than waiting for them to grow older and go on a spree.

Cause those chainsaw machine guns are so widely available :p

Peoples-Agent
12-12-06, 10:42 AM
Cause those chainsaw machine guns are so widely available :p

Point being the effect of violent games on youth.

I grew up watching horror movies and action flicks from aged 8.
Aliens, Kruger flicks, all the older Craven stuff, Predator, Robocop etc and not once got a hinkling to go out and copy it.

Thus the reasoning, psychos are psychos.

sytaylor
12-12-06, 01:32 PM
Point being the effect of violent games on youth.

I grew up watching horror movies and action flicks from aged 8.
Aliens, Kruger flicks, all the older Craven stuff, Predator, Robocop etc and not once got a hinkling to go out and copy it.

Thus the reasoning, psychos are psychos.

You've kinda hit on my point in a comedic roundabout way. I want to reassure parents, and represent games, from teh gamer perspective, not the media sensationalist perspective. As a kid who grew up in the 80s with violent movies, and had every type of violent video game without reserve, and as a family member and friend who helps parents with purchases. I spotted a market gap.