PDA

View Full Version : Project Gothan Racing 3, worth $430+?

Pages : [1] 2

nekrosoft13
12-11-06, 10:47 AM
Only reason why i bought X-Box was for Project Gothan Racing 2, i been considering to buy X-Box 360 just for Project Gothan Racing 3. The question is it worth it?

After i finished PGR2, i haven't played a single game on it again, later i modded the console, and now i use Xbox Media Center 2.0.1 from time to time to have a cheap media center.

Back to the topic on hand, PGR2 really got me hooked, but when i played PGR3 at friends house I wasn't hooked as fast. While its a good game, It just doesn't seem to look that great. My friend has a 720p samsung HDTV, i was sitting about 7-8 feet away from the TV, and i could notice lack or every little AA, and almost no AF. Maybe I'm spoiled by PC.

Like I said now that 360 got or supposed to get 1080p upgrade, I'm considering buying one, still not sure.

I'm 100% I will not play a single other game on the console, well maybe PGR4 if it comes out, but thats a different story.

LiquidX
12-11-06, 11:09 AM
Its a great game but if its the only game you intend of getting ever then its not worth $430. Also it does not look any different in 1080p (atleast to my eyes). You might aswell just wait for a price drop which may come by the time PG4 hits. And you can get a 360 for a lot cheaper these days, outpost deals for $330 can be had.

Nitz Walsh
12-11-06, 12:01 PM
Like I said now that 360 got or supposed to get 1080p upgrade, I'm considering buying one, still not sure.
To clarify, the 360 can now "output" 1080p to HDTV's, but it doesn't mean the games will be in 1900*1080 resolution - they'll still be 1280*720 (or below), and simply be upsampled to 1080.

A few might eventually be at a native 1080p resolution and many Live! arcade titles will, but the vast majority of tiles won't as it's just too many pixels and most users won't have a 1080p set regardless.

nekrosoft13
12-11-06, 12:26 PM
does the 360 upscale 720p to 1080p or 360 will still just output 720p

Nitz Walsh
12-11-06, 12:32 PM
does the 360 upscale 720p to 1080p or 360 will still just output 720p
Er.....right above you:

To clarify, the 360 can now "output" 1080p to HDTV's, but it doesn't mean the games will be in 1900*1080 resolution - they'll still be 1280*720 (or below), and simply be upsampled to 1080.

theultimo
12-11-06, 01:09 PM
for just PGR3, i would say no.

However, with Forza 2 coming and PGR4 in the pipeline, you might want to get one later after a price drop.

MustangSVT
12-11-06, 01:55 PM
I got the first Xbox back in november 2004 just for PGR2 "mainly". However there are MANY other games I've played on it since, such as Halo 2, Jade Empire, RalliSport 2, Conker, some other games I don't remember, and my favorite of them all (except PGR2), Forza Motorsport.

I bought the 360 cause I really wanted to play PGR3. Overall I'm quite happy with the 360, thou PGR3 is not as good as 2 was IMHO. There are some other good games (Gears of War, GRAW, Kameo), though I wouldn't say they're "great" except for maybe Gears of War. If you just want to play PGR3, it's probably not worth it at the moment. Test Drive Unlimited is also pretty good (but agian not "great" IMO). I am also patiently awaiting Forza 2. That game will breathe new life into the 360 as far as I'm concerned.

msxyz
12-11-06, 02:29 PM
For me a console is worth buying when at least there are an half dozen titles worth having (in other words, the money invested in games must be at least as much as I payed the console). It's a matter of personal taste, though. I know other people who purchased a console (not this early in its lifetime, though) just two play a couple of "must have" games.

FYI the Xbox 360 makes a fine media center extender. It may also be converted in a (almost) cheap HD-DVD player. If you decide to go for an Xbox 360 just for PGR 3, then you can save $100 and buy a core model because this title hardly benefits from having an HD.

nekrosoft13
12-11-06, 03:08 PM
thanks for all the replies

some of the other games that people mentioned

Jade Empire: in about a month will finally be on PC, where it belongs ;)
Halo 2/3: I hated the first Halo on xbox and on pc, so chance of me playing 2 or 3 are very slim.
Rallisport 2: i played at friends house, actually pretty good
Forza: was good also
no clue what conker is

Gears of War, I would never play any shooter game with a gamepad, just not gonna happen.
I just don't like GRAW, on both platforms
Kameo, not my type of RPG

Test Drive Unlimited, i been playing the beta on PC, and i'm 100% sure i'm buying the game, I just need to get either MOMO or G25 to see how she handles ;)

reason i said 430+, because i would preffer the premium, just because of wireless controller, and buying core+wireless controller, wouldn't be a good idea, because later i would have to buy a memory card, when for about 40-60 bucks more I would get the HDD, sooner or later it might have to use it.

if XBMC would have been ported to 360, i would buy 360 right away, just for the XBMC.

Zelda_fan
12-11-06, 03:14 PM
reason i said 430+, because i would preffer the premium, just because of wireless controller, and buying core+wireless controller, wouldn't be a good idea, because later i would have to buy a memory card, when for about 40-60 bucks more I would get the HDD, sooner or later it might have to use it.

I wouldn't count gears out. It's a THIRD (not first) person shooter, which controls much better with a controller rather than mouse and keyboard.

LurkerLito
12-11-06, 04:44 PM
Well IMO, it's not worth it unless you want other games. I liked PGR3 but it wasn't amazing or anything to me. I'd definitely recommend checking out Gears and Vegas, I love both and I am one of those that use to say I'd never like playing a FPS game on a console, but Vegas is really good. Gears is 3rd person and for some reason I think I wouldn't prefer it on the PC. I have GRAW but I don't really like it as much as I like Vegas I think it has to do with the controls. Vegas' controls seem to work for me but GRAW just feels off and I can't reassign the buttons (which is something that really needs to change in console games).

msxyz
12-11-06, 04:47 PM
thanks for all the replies(...)
Glad to be of assistance. :) I just wanted to point out:

Kameo isn't an RPG. It's a 3D platform. And very good, too. Possibly the best game Rare has done since the N64 days.

Jade empire is a meh title. Either on console or on a PC it's something I wish Bioware would never have wasted their talent onto.

Gear of War has been made for the gamepad in mind. The greatest difficulty is not aiming but navigating tight areas during battles. The cover system is both an innovation and sometimes a curse as in some of the more intense battles it just gets in the way instead of helping.

MustangSVT
12-11-06, 05:49 PM
Jade Empire: in about a month will finally be on PC, where it belongs
Halo 2/3: I hated the first Halo on xbox and on pc, so chance of me playing 2 or 3 are very slim.
Rallisport 2: i played at friends house, actually pretty good
Forza: was good also
no clue what conker is

Well I beat Jade Empire more than a year ago and I liked Halo (on PC) quite a bit and I found Hlao 2 to be amazing. Conker is Conker's Bad Fur Day. Anyway, like I said, if you didn't find yourself playing other games on Xbox1, then 360 might not be for you. I found myself playing Ninja Gaiden a lot on Xbox really liked it. Or for example, if I had friends over I would play Dead or Alive Ultimate a lot, and the Xbox also satisfied my soccer needs, Winning Eleven 8 and 9, both were nice to play with Xbox controller on my TV.

Euphoria
12-11-06, 06:21 PM
Yeah I would agree with the rest of the posts. If you are just getting the 360 because of one game than save your money. Being a PC gamer for years I was quite skeptical about playing any of the shooter games on a console, but once I got the 360 hooked up to my HDTV and I laid back on my couch I saw the real advantage of having a console as a gaming system. Although the precision of game pad aiming would never measure up to the mouse, you would be surprised how fast you'll get used to the game pad. I am rarely using my PC now for gaming... and I have the evga 7800gt oc SLI setup with the 4800 AMD CPU and a GIG of RAM.... go figure.. I just like chillin on the couch and playing online with my buddies. I guess I might sell my PC soon...

Lyme
12-11-06, 06:42 PM
Given that I like fps's and rts's (multiplayer at least on the pc), and mmorpgs like wow (and eve).

I bought a 360 basically for the media center abilities and to play halo2 (sad isn't it). I've also picked up pgr3 but haven't played it much, however I think I might grab the micro soft force feedback wheel and play more.

PGR3 is nice, looks like it will be better with the wheel but it isn't amazing. I preferred playing the demo of the first need for speed for the 360.

Kameo is pretty cool, two player co-op if it has been unlocked. It is not a rpg.
99 nights is cool for the graphics, but really is a button masher. More rpg-ish.
doa4 is decent as a fighting game.
lego starwars 2 the original trilogy is really fun.
GOW works really well on the 360, I strongly believe putting it on the pc would detract from the console centric gameplay.
Tombraider is a nice rpg, forget past mistakes this one is decent.
The burger king games are cool, I got all three. (hey they are cheap).
Also a bunch of the retro xbox live games are cool, but the dpad on the controller generally sucks.

As well I completely agree to the above, if your buying it for one game.. you should wait, unless you have money to burn.

Peoples-Agent
12-12-06, 02:47 AM
Not sure about the US, but a good time to buy one over here.
Good new Gears of War pack, think they are doing a Call of Duty 3 one too.

Once you start 360 gaming and put away the shoddy Forceware for a few weeks, your never go back.

evilchris
12-12-06, 03:06 AM
Not sure about the US, but a good time to buy one over here.
Good new Gears of War pack, think they are doing a Call of Duty 3 one too.

Once you start 360 gaming and put away the shoddy Forceware for a few weeks, your never go back.

Yup. Most who have both agree.

Peoples-Agent
12-12-06, 03:21 AM
I never bought mine till around 3 months ago, and i've have more fun gamingwise than I had on the PC for over 12 months prior to getting this thing.
Never known so many good games to come out in matters of weeks, rather than years.

Definately pick one of these up dude, I was a confessed to being on the 360 hate wagon until I actually decided to bite my tongue and buy one. Ate humble pie for a long while afterwards.

EDIT: Corrected typo, was months...not weeks! DOH

nekrosoft13
12-12-06, 04:12 PM

i can bet you a million bucks right now, that would never happen.

like i stated before PGR3 is the only game on 360 that intrest me, nothing else

Lyme
12-12-06, 04:47 PM
They have stated somewhere that they will do a PGR4. As you bought a xbox for PGR2 I'm thinking you don't really have a shortage of cash.. But the real questions are:
What kind of tv do you have?
What kind of stereo system?
Did you know if you get the MS Racing wheel you get the force feedback version of PGR3?

Lets face it, I bought my 360 to play halo2. No seriously. True I now play a lot of other things on it, but that was the reason. Hell I even camped outside Futureshop (think bestbuy) for five hours in almost freezing weather to get one. But I'm neither a teenager, nor poor (nor rich), but I piss away my money as I choose.

nekrosoft13
12-12-06, 04:51 PM
tv: 37 inch westinghouse 1080p
theather system: 1100w Onkyo system

i heard about the wheel comes with PGR3, once MS releases the wireless adapter for windows ( should be soon) and that wheel works, i probably will try it out.

Lyme
12-12-06, 07:29 PM
I'm pretty sure it comes with the 360 version rather than the pc version, but you knew that.

hmm.. does blockbuster or whatnot rent 360's? You could do a testdrive so to speak.

nekrosoft13
12-13-06, 12:30 AM
I'm pretty sure it comes with the 360 version rather than the pc version, but you knew that.

hmm.. does blockbuster or whatnot rent 360's? You could do a testdrive so to speak.

i was talking about his
http://www.buy.com/prod/xbox-360-wireless-gaming-receiver/q/loc/108/202927469.html?dcaid=17379

that adapter will work with wireless 360 gamepads on pc, if it also works with MS wheel, i will seriously consider buying that wheel

Lyme
12-13-06, 10:30 AM
i was talking about his
http://www.buy.com/prod/xbox-360-wireless-gaming-receiver/q/loc/108/202927469.html?dcaid=17379

that adapter will work with wireless 360 gamepads on pc, if it also works with MS wheel, i will seriously consider buying that wheel

I was still running with the "you buying a 360". Otherwise that device looks good, read the announcement months ago about it's development. One thing that wasn't announced was "Future drivers available for Windows Vista and Force Feedback for the Wireless Racing Wheel.". Now I'm running Vista RC2 and like it so it's no big deal for me to get Vista Retail later.

nekrosoft13
12-13-06, 10:46 AM
i'm still considering getting 360 just for PGR3

if XBMC would work on 360, i would buy it right this second

and if that MS wheel would work with xp/vista, that would be another strong reason to get both the wheel and 360.

I would finally have a good wheel for GTR2, GT Legends, xPand Rally and TDU(PC).