PDA

View Full Version : New "Aliens" games coming in 2008\2009?

Pages : [1] 2

CaptNKILL
12-11-06, 11:34 AM
http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=73610

Sega will hatch 'Alien' games on the Hollywood Reporter (thanks Dark Horizons and Ant) reveals plans for new PC and Console games based on the series of Alien movies, making specific mention of an RPG and an FPS, with the first game to be released in 2008. It is specified that this deal is separate from the new Aliens versus Predator movies, but the fan of the third and fourth Alien flicks will be disappointed to know that these games will not follow the specific plot of any of the movies, though conversations are underway to secure the participation of principal actors like Sigourney Weaver and Lance Henriksen. Sega says "We're taking licensing to the next level with this franchise," and the article also makes mention of other Fox properties with the potential for similar treatment in the future: Big Trouble in Little China, The Fly, and Fantastic Voyage. SEGA and Twentieth Century Fox Licensing & Merchandising to Bring Alien Franchise to Next-Gen Systems is the subsequent official announcement of this news that offers a slight variant on these details, saying 2009 is actually when to expect the first game, and making liberal use of the term "next-generation," which is of course codeword for consoles, with no mention of the PC or any specific platform. Here's a bit from the Hollywood Reporter:

Mike Gallo, senior producer of the "Alien" games at Sega, said the new games will not follow the strict story lines of any of the four films in the series but instead will provide a new experience by drawing from the history and lore that is the foundation of the films.

"We'll go out of our way to tie the games into the films in unique ways," he said. "We're also looking at all 'Alien' source material for inspiration, in addition to the films. We may incorporate some characters that fans know and love, and we may let gamers find answers to questions that were left unanswered in the movies."

Sweet. An RPG based on the Alien movies could be pretty interesting. :)

superklye
12-11-06, 11:38 AM
HIOASNGASP"Nsagas'nkasnlg~!!!!!1

YES! YEEEEEEEEEES!

Aliens is my all-time favorite franchise! A DX9 (or 10) follow up to AvP2 would be amazing and an Aliens RPG is just, like, the greatest thing ever. If it was like SS2...oh man!

I'm going to go run a lap around the office, I'm so excited! :D :D

Mr. Hunt
12-11-06, 11:40 AM
I'm so excited! :D :D

And you just can't hide it!

superklye
12-11-06, 11:41 AM
I wish I knew more lyrics to that song. :o

CaptNKILL
12-11-06, 11:45 AM
I know you don't need any more reason to be excited but, imagine the kind of graphics we'll be seeing 2-3 years from now. :drooling:

... damn thats probably like 5 graphics cards away... :p

Lazaredz
12-11-06, 11:59 AM
I believe an old fashioned "WOOT!" is in order.

superklye
12-11-06, 12:04 PM
I know you don't need any more reason to be excited but, imagine the kind of graphics we'll be seeing 2-3 years from now. :drooling:

... damn thats probably like 5 graphics cards away... :p
mmmm...Aliens in the Crysis 2.0 engine...

:drooling:

HarpooN
12-11-06, 12:10 PM

:clap: :drooling: :clap:

"Look there's something moving in here and it ain't us!" :D

superklye
12-11-06, 12:28 PM
My favorite lines from Aliens:

Hudson: "Hey Vasquez...you ever been Mistaken for a man?"
Vasquez: "No. Have you?"

CaptNKILL
12-11-06, 12:29 PM
I still think the part of Aliens (second movie) where they look up into the ceiling panel and see the aliens crawling around is one of the creepiest things I've seen in a movie.

I haven't seen the original Alien in a long time. I want to pick up the DVD set eventually.

superklye
12-11-06, 12:38 PM
I still think the part of Aliens (second movie) where they look up into the ceiling panel and see the aliens crawling around is one of the creepiest things I've seen in a movie.

I haven't seen the original Alien in a long time. I want to pick up the DVD set eventually.
Yes! It's incredibly creepy!

And DeepDiscountDVD is having a huge sale on Fox DVD sets...buy one get one, and the Quadrilogy is part of the sale. I HIGHLY recommend picking it up. I think this sale ends on 12/15.

J-Mag
12-11-06, 01:22 PM
Yeah AvP2 rocked. I really like the variances between gameplay styles the three factions have.

Did you guys ever watch the 2nd version of Aliens where you actually see Newt's family driving around the planet in a weird rover of sorts? That scen was lame. Although, It also had these automatic turrets which is what forced the aliens up into the ceilings in the first place, which was cool.

superklye
12-11-06, 01:29 PM
Yeah AvP2 rocked. I really like the variances between gameplay styles the three factions have.

Did you guys ever watch the 2nd version of Aliens where you actually see Newt's family driving around the planet in a weird rover of sorts? That scen was lame. Although, It also had these automatic turrets which is what forced the aliens up into the ceilings in the first place, which was cool.
Yeah, the Director's Cut of Aliens is far superior to the theatrical release, IMO.

And I actually liked that scene with Newt's family. It offered more background into their story (material I was already familiar with because I collected all of the Aliens comics and anything at all related to Aliens) and gave better insight into what happened on LV-426.

Now...you want to talk about crapp Director's Cuts...how about the extended Alien 3? Gah...I didn't think they could make that movie any worse, but I was proven terribly wrong.

All this talk of Aliens is making me want to go and reinstall AvP2. Oh! I just remembered that I have that AvP RTS for Xbox! I should see if it'll work in the 360...

CaptNKILL
12-11-06, 01:34 PM
Yes! It's incredibly creepy!

And DeepDiscountDVD is having a huge sale on Fox DVD sets...buy one get one, and the Quadrilogy is part of the sale. I HIGHLY recommend picking it up. I think this sale ends on 12/15.
Its a lot cheaper on Amazon.com, especially through the marketplace. If I pick it up, it'll be through them. :)
http://www.amazon.com/Alien-Quadrilogy-Tom-Skerritt/dp/B0000VCZK2/sr=8-1/qid=1165865473/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-2665849-0964160?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

superklye
12-11-06, 01:39 PM
Its a lot cheaper on Amazon.com, especially through the marketplace. If I pick it up, it'll be through them. :)
http://www.amazon.com/Alien-Quadrilogy-Tom-Skerritt/dp/B0000VCZK2/sr=8-1/qid=1165865473/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-2665849-0964160?ie=UTF8&s=dvd
Yeah, but if you get it from DDD, you get another box set of equal or lesser value free.

EDIT:
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/promotion/buyAndGetFree_form.cfm?promoName=foxb1g1_1206

CaptNKILL
12-11-06, 01:49 PM
Yeah, but if you get it from DDD, you get another box set of equal or lesser value free.

EDIT:
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/promotion/buyAndGetFree_form.cfm?promoName=foxb1g1_1206
Ah I see. I wonder if they have anything else I like... :p

EDIT: I think the only other sets on there I'd like are the x-files sets. I don't watch much TV.

J-Mag
12-11-06, 03:30 PM
And I actually liked that scene with Newt's family. It offered more background into their story (material I was already familiar with because I collected all of the Aliens comics and anything at all related to Aliens) and gave better insight into what happened on LV-426.

I think the missing scene and loss of background added to the "unknown" factor, which is part of why alien was cool.

Now...you want to talk about crapp Director's Cuts...how about the extended Alien 3? Gah...I didn't think they could make that movie any worse, but I was proven terribly wrong.

I only remember seeing alien3 once, what was the difference between the two?

grey_1
12-11-06, 03:57 PM
My favorite lines from Aliens:

Hudson: "Hey Vasquez...you ever been Mistaken for a man?"
Vasquez: "No. Have you?"
One of the best movie quotes ever!

I thought word was released on an AVP3 a year or so ago? Maybe just a rumor, but my plastic is ready for the pre-order.

Oh yeah, Jupiter engine FTW!

BioHazZarD
12-11-06, 04:43 PM
damn that will be a long wait :(

superklye
12-11-06, 04:46 PM
I only remember seeing alien3 once, what was the difference between the two?
About 50 more minutes of boring, swear-filled dialogue and numerous stupid changes to the plot. It was a waste of time and just succeded in making me hate that movie even more.

J-Mag
12-11-06, 05:04 PM
About 50 more minutes of boring, swear-filled dialogue and numerous stupid changes to the plot. It was a waste of time and just succeded in making me hate that movie even more.

Yeah I was disappointed with it, but the cinematography was good.

SH64
12-11-06, 05:06 PM

You mean Crytek Engine 2.

:p

superklye
12-11-06, 05:40 PM
You mean Crytek Engine 2.

:p
No, I meant the second version of the Crysis Engine...so I guess that would be Crytek Engine 3. :p

superklye
12-11-06, 05:43 PM
Yeah I was disappointed with it, but the cinematography was good.
Like, some of the changes made absolutely no sense at all...for instance, they changed it so the Alien came from a bull instead of the dog. Why? Hell if I know.

crainger
12-11-06, 05:51 PM
Like, some of the changes made absolutely no sense at all...for instance, they changed it so the Alien came from a bull instead of the dog. Why? Hell if I know.

Thats how they originally wanted it done, but they couldn't get it to look right they had to switch to something easier. They put it back in for the Director's Editions for the fans and to piss SuperKlye off.