PDA

View Full Version : Driver Question with 8800GTX

Notfastenough31
12-11-06, 01:19 PM
I have a quick question? What settings do you guys use in your drivers for games?

I run 8x AA (supersampling), 16xAF HQ. The thing Im wondering is for AA. Does everyone use enchance application or override application?? I noticed drastic difference with both these settings, especially in quake 4.

jAkUp
12-11-06, 01:24 PM
I have a quick question? What settings do you guys use in your drivers for games?

I run 8x AA (supersampling), 16xAF HQ. The thing Im wondering is for AA. Does everyone use enchance application or override application?? I noticed drastic difference with both these settings, especially in quake 4.

I use override application.

hirantha
12-11-06, 02:21 PM
I decided to go ahead and use override yesterday and i have to tell you oblivion looked extra awesome with both HDR+AA.

nekrosoft13
12-11-06, 03:32 PM
correct me if i'm wrong but enchance only works if you enable AA in game.

so if you play Oblivion with HDR on, set the AA in control panel to 8X enchance aplication, you will get no AA, because Oblivion doesn't allot you to set HDR+AA.

in case of Oblivion you need to use override.

SH64
12-11-06, 04:03 PM
4xAA,16xAFHQ.

Notfastenough31
12-13-06, 09:36 AM
Im wondering cause I can only get AA in quake 4 with override setting.At 8xAA (SuperSampling), 16x HQ AF quake 4 doesnt run amazing. Thats the thing that im wondering. Because my X1800XT Crossfire ran the game at higher settings and it ran better. Another thing that i noticed I can run those settings in Prey at a higher res and it runs smoother, even when I put on 8QAA.

Does anyone know the problem or is it just drivers?? With the 96.89 driver I couldn't even get into doom3 engine games at all.

OWA
12-13-06, 09:53 AM
What are your system specs? Quake 4 ran slower than I expected until I patched it to version 1.3. Some have found it runs much better for them if you disable the multi-core support (if you have a dual-core cpu) but it's just the opposite for me. I need it on.

Notfastenough31
12-13-06, 11:44 AM
What are your system specs? Quake 4 ran slower than I expected until I patched it to version 1.3. Some have found it runs much better for them if you disable the multi-core support (if you have a dual-core cpu) but it's just the opposite for me. I need it on.

Im runing at AMD X2 4800+ @ 2.6GHz 5200+, 2GB DDR5550 Corsair 2-3-3-6 timings, BFG Geforce 8800GTX, Enermax 660watt SLi read psu, WD 8mb cache hd's.

My system specs are fine, just find its not running that great. I have the game patched to 1.3 with smp "on", but just doesnt run right. I would figure prey and fear to run worse then quake4. I run prey/fear with double the settings as quake 4 and they are like double the fps.. In my opinion something is wrong here, and think i might have wrong settings or drivers are just messed up.

OWA
12-13-06, 11:50 AM
Do you have the cpu driver and the ms hotfix installed?

Notfastenough31
12-14-06, 11:44 AM
Do you have the cpu driver and the ms hotfix installed?

Windows is updated, and IM using the AMD X2 x64 driver also.

OWA
12-14-06, 12:14 PM
The microsoft dual-core hotfix isn't part of windows update. You have to find somewhere that is hosting it (search the forums here or you can google it). I'm not sure it'll help though since it mainly helps with the affinity issue. If you upload a save point and list the settings you're using, I'll try to compare the exact same area/settings to see what kind of results I get (since we have very similiar systems).

bigjohns97
12-14-06, 01:34 PM
just install this

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html

AMD Dual-Core Optimizer - The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer can help improve some PC gaming video performance by compensating for those applications that bypass the Windows API for timing by directly using the RDTSC (Read Time Stamp Counter) instruction. Applications that rely on RDTSC do not benefit from the logic in the operating system to properly account for the affect of power management mechanisms on the rate at which a processor core's Time Stamp Counter (TSC) is incremented. The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer helps to correct the resulting video performance effects or other incorrect timing effects that these applications may experience on dual-core processor systems, by periodically adjusting the core time-stamp-counters, so that they are synchronized.

This will bypass the flawed ms counter and use an amd one, so no need to download that ms hotfix.

Notfastenough31
12-14-06, 03:20 PM
just install this

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html

AMD Dual-Core Optimizer - The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer can help improve some PC gaming video performance by compensating for those applications that bypass the Windows API for timing by directly using the RDTSC (Read Time Stamp Counter) instruction. Applications that rely on RDTSC do not benefit from the logic in the operating system to properly account for the affect of power management mechanisms on the rate at which a processor core's Time Stamp Counter (TSC) is incremented. The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer helps to correct the resulting video performance effects or other incorrect timing effects that these applications may experience on dual-core processor systems, by periodically adjusting the core time-stamp-counters, so that they are synchronized.

This will bypass the flawed ms counter and use an amd one, so no need to download that ms hotfix.

One other question. On that same page there is a AMD X2 driver also. Is it fine to have both the driver and the optimizer installed or should i take driver off?

OWA
12-14-06, 04:51 PM
Yeah, I need to know that also. I tried installing the optimizer a while back and it caused 3DMark06 to lockup. I probably had the driver and MS hotfix already installed though so maybe there was a conflict b/c of that.

bigjohns97
12-14-06, 07:16 PM
Notfastenough31: the optmiser installs it's own driver so the other one isn't needed

OWA: you must uninstall the windows update to install the amd one.

OWA
12-14-06, 07:20 PM
Notfastenough31: the optmiser installs it's own driver so the other one isn't needed

OWA: you must uninstall the windows update to install the amd one.
Thanks man.