PDA

View Full Version : my takes on next-gen

Pages : [1] 2 3

Imbroglio
12-11-06, 03:16 PM
i got thinking and i realized that it wasn't that i want the ps3 to fail miserably, i want sony to realize that they can't come into a market and push all of their proprietary formats on everyone and be the best every single time. I hated UMD for psp and i'm not a fan of BD at all. i love the idea of a *nix partition, but i want BD to fail, and i want the graphics of the ps3 to be similar to the 360, just so sony learns a lesson. I also don't want the 360 owning the next-gen lead, i'd like to see nintendo there.

sony's web-browser is slow, and the 360 needs an internal redesign, but that's what we get from power houses. sony needs to accept universal formats and microsoft shouldn't push out products before they are ready. they both need to look at what each other are doing and learn from it. i'd like to see the 360 get many of the ps3 "exclusives" like mgs and ff13 (which are both rumored to be cross-platform). either way, i'd like to see both companies learn and stop forcing unwanted things upon consumers. /rant

S.I.N
12-11-06, 03:29 PM
Yes you want no change basically. Lets use DVD for 10 more years. Hell lets go back to floppy. Why not pull out your Atari and play that?

Imbroglio
12-11-06, 03:32 PM
and no... misinterpretation ftmfw

Zelda_fan
12-11-06, 03:54 PM
Yes you want no change basically. Lets use DVD for 10 more years. Hell lets go back to floppy. Why not pull out your Atari and play that?

maybe you are unaware, but there is a product called HD-DVD

Zelda_fan
12-11-06, 03:57 PM
btw, I don't think Nintendo will "own" next gen. I think they will have the largest market share, followed by the 360 in a somewhat distant second.

PS3 I doubt will break 6 million units.

evilchris
12-11-06, 03:58 PM
btw, I don't think Nintendo will "own" next gen. I think they will have the largest market share, followed by the 360 in a somewhat distant second.

There *at least* 6 mil fanboys and proud Japanese which will buy it. PS3 is like Britney Spears...****ty product but people buy it anyways.

S.I.N
12-11-06, 04:31 PM
maybe you are unaware, but there is a product called HD-DVD

But only Sony decided to use another and better format besides DVD in there console. The 360 has HD-DVD option but no games will be released on it while the PS3 will benefit from havening a better format for games. Its all about the games right?

Gaco
12-11-06, 04:42 PM
But only Sony decided to use another and better format besides DVD in there console. The 360 has HD-DVD option but no games will be released on it while the PS3 will benefit from havening a better format for games. Its all about the games right?
No it's not ALL about games. HD-DVD is currently winning the format war (who knows if it'll change, but for now it like this). I think Gears of War has proven that the current capacity of the DVD is adequate for the power of the hardware that powers the games. I am so NOT impressed by the PS3 blueray-games titles so far...

That is VERY optimistic. Wii will be the best selling console in the next year or so then the generel excitement will wear a bit off while more fantastic 2nd and 3rd generation Xbox360 games are being released and Sony really gets the PS3 rolling. The Wii may just exceed the number of sold X360 units at some point, but it will definently not retain this advantage forever. It's hard to predict the future, but I'll say that it'll probably be something like 40/30/30 - X360/Wii/PS3. Depends on a lot of still uncertain things though..

toxikneedle
12-11-06, 04:43 PM
lol! yeah, truly the reason Sony decided to include Blu Ray in the PS3 was for games...

Zelda_fan
12-11-06, 04:45 PM

no. It's all about the movies as far as blu-ray and HD-DVD is concerned.

zoomy942
12-11-06, 04:46 PM
There *at least* 6 mil fanboys and proud Japanese which will buy it. PS3 is like Britney Spears...****ty product but people buy it anyways.

chris, i wish my sig was large enough to hold all of your posts

Zelda_fan
12-11-06, 04:46 PM
No it's not ALL about games. HD-DVD is currently winning the format war (who knows if it'll change, but for now it like this). I think Gears of War has proven that the current capacity of the DVD is adequate for the power of the hardware that powers the games. I am so NOT impressed by the PS3 blueray-games titles so far...

That is VERY optimistic. Wii will be the best selling console in the next year or so then the generel excitement will wear a bit off while more fantastic 2nd and 3rd generation Xbox360 games are being released and Sony really gets the PS3 rolling. The Wii may just exceed the number of sold X360 units at some point, but it will definently not retain this advantage forever. It's hard to predict the future, but I'll say that it'll probably be something like 40/30/30 - X360/Wii/PS3. Depends on a lot of still uncertain things though..

Seeing as though your early predictions regarding blu-ray and the PS3 are totally wrong, I have a feeling your predictions about the Wii will be wrong as well.

NaitoSan
12-11-06, 05:01 PM
there's some rumors about wii getting hd-dvd upgrade...

i'm not sure but that might will give hd-dvd other win in format war.

Marvel_us
12-11-06, 05:09 PM
there's some rumors about wii getting hd-dvd upgrade...

i'm not sure but that might will give hd-dvd other win in format war.

Heh, upgrade? I'd like to see them pull that one off.

Imbroglio
12-11-06, 05:32 PM
and once again.. more data does NOT equal better graphics/games. just for more storage, and in the case of Resistance, more data padding to fill up the disc. high def games can be put onto regular dvds, so please tell me how BD is so far ahead of all other media. i mean their low res menus are awsome, right? nothing like having HD images with low res menus <3

anyways... all i was saying is that i hope sony takes a serious hit this time, they seem to be pumping more and more proprietary B$ down our throats and it is starting to get out of hand. i feel if they somehow manage to even break even this gen, next-gen will be even worse (don't even want to think about that). i just hate how the ps3 is being represented, "our media may not be the standard, but we'll pay out to make it such" (not refering to BD, more to sony specific memory cards/UMDs/etc)

Marvel_us
12-11-06, 05:36 PM
Doesn't Blue Dragon ship on 3 discs? More space would be useful there but that means nothing. Everyone should know games weren't the primary reason for Blu-Ray in PS3.

PS3 doesn't force you to use only Sony branded memory sticks btw.

evilchris
12-11-06, 05:36 PM
and once again.. more data does NOT equal better graphics/games. just for more storage, and in the case of Resistance, more data padding to fill up the disc. high def games can be put onto regular dvds, so please tell me how BD is so far ahead of all other media. i mean their low res menus are awsome, right? nothing like having HD images with low res menus <3

Agree on BD Java. It's a freaking joke. iHD ( XML ) is lightyears ahead. I also love it when an HD DVD version of movie has better PQ, better AQ, and more content. I thought the 50GB BD was able to hold more? Nope.

Marvel_us
12-11-06, 05:37 PM
Agree on BD Java. It's a freaking joke. iHD ( XML ) is lightyears ahead. I also love it when an HD DVD version of movie has better PQ, better AQ, and more content. I thought the 50GB BD was able to hold more? Nope.

Hold more useless crap maybe?:p

evilchris
12-11-06, 05:38 PM
chris, i wish my sig was large enough to hold all of your posts

same here, I love making PS3 fanboy's blood boil =)

Lyme
12-11-06, 07:24 PM
The only real reason hd-dvd uses a xml markup language for extras instead of Java is because Microsoft has been trying to kill java for years.

As for BD giving more space for games.. sure it does.. but look at the Wii, it's disc's are comparable to the 360.

Otherwise my "reasonable" 360 improvement list is:
-A trayless dvd drive.
-It being alot quieter.
-A much better dpad on the controllers.
-Not having to sign into xbl to use it as a media extender.
-Upsampling of stereo music to play in 5.1 or whatnot.
-The ability to turn off the movement for the picture slideshow (the zooming gets annoying).

and that is about it, it is a decent console otherwise.

toxikneedle
12-11-06, 07:29 PM
The only real reason hd-dvd uses a xml markup language for extras instead of Java is because Microsoft has been trying to kill java for years.

As for BD giving more space for games.. sure it does.. but look at the Wii, it's disc's are comparable to the 360.

Otherwise my "reasonable" 360 improvement list is:
-A trayless dvd drive.
-It being alot quieter.
-A much better dpad on the controllers.
-Not having to sign into xbl to use it as a media extender.
-Upsampling of stereo music to play in 5.1 or whatnot.
-The ability to turn off the movement for the picture slideshow (the zooming gets annoying).
and that is about it, it is a decent console otherwise.
how is a trayless dvd drive better?

evilchris
12-11-06, 07:34 PM

Uh, Microsoft had nothing to do with it. Microsoft is a supporter of HD DVD, not a developer.

Lyme
12-11-06, 08:16 PM
how is a trayless dvd drive better?

coolness factor.

toxikneedle
12-11-06, 08:18 PM
coolness factor.
meh. i dont wanna send my whole console in for repairs, just because a disk got stick inside.

Lyme
12-11-06, 08:26 PM
Uh, Microsoft had nothing to do with it. Microsoft is a supporter of HD DVD, not a developer.

I personally wouldn't believe that Microsoft is so benign in their decisions, especially on this scale.

If you were Toshiba and Microsoft said: If you use xxx instead of java we will support HD DVD, would you say no?