PDA

View Full Version : Please help-8800GTX and Battle for Middle Earth 2

JamesP1701
12-11-06, 05:48 PM
Hi all,

I really hope youy can stop me from going mad here!

I have just purchased a stonking new machine with the new 8800 GTX. Unforutnately, on Middle Earth 1, 2 and Rise of the Witch King, after I click play I always get a 'game.dat' error. I have found no way to bypass this, and have got all patches installed. Can anyone help me please?

roverXE
12-11-06, 07:23 PM
down clock mem and processor until you get it start then put them back - I had same problem with this game

JamesP1701
12-12-06, 02:49 AM
Will I then be able to put the settings back?

JamesP1701
12-12-06, 02:52 AM
Also, as I've never done this before, do I need to do this in the BIOS screen (is the voltage?)

spajdrik
12-12-06, 09:44 AM
James, what antivirus you got installed?

JamesP1701
12-12-06, 10:14 AM
I have AVG but i always make sure its not runnijg in the background before trying to run it.

fatal1ty
12-12-06, 10:51 AM
Seems to be a common problem -
http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0geup_p3H5FY4AA9kxXNyoA?p=Rise+of+the +Witch+King+game.dat+error&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-501&x=wrt

Contact support for the game.

spajdrik
12-12-06, 11:55 AM
I have AVG but i always make sure its not runnijg in the background before trying to run it.

I got problem with it due to Avast Antivirus, and disabling it didnt help, i must uninstall it completely, you tried that?

JamesP1701
12-13-06, 12:45 AM
Yes, tried both these things still the same problem. EA are useless-their phone support people simply read off a screen and clearly have no idea about computers, and if you e-mail them, you never get a response!

roverXE
12-13-06, 06:39 AM
Yes, tried both these things still the same problem. EA are useless-their phone support people simply read off a screen and clearly have no idea about computers, and if you e-mail them, you never get a response!

You tried underclocking your system? Yes, this is done in BIOS typically

JamesP1701
12-13-06, 07:32 AM
Yes, I tried underclocking it but to no avail. Perhaps I should try again-am I just altering the CPU, or memory as well, and how much by?

roverXE
12-13-06, 07:23 PM
I only had to remove my overclock on the CPU and set memory to the speed settings. That means the memory is set to "Auto". If you have DDR2 800Mhz memory for example make sure its running at 800 and not overclocked. You can also loosen the timings Cas, Tr etc if the game still crashes when starting. Try slower speeds if required.

I have seen this problem on two machines with diff hardware and loosening the clock speeds allowed me get it started. I could then set my overclocks back to max once the game started once (It probably does shaders or textures the first time it runs).

Voltage shouldn't make any difference. Hope this works, it did for me. Otherwise try diff computer, drives etc... sorry man

Redeemed
12-13-06, 07:46 PM
Hm... I have two 8800GTSs and haven't had this problem. Though I've only tried BFME, not the second yet. Oh, and I'm not using any of the patches for BFME. Like I said, it works okay. Haven't tried BFMEII yet with these new video cards. Maybe tomorrow morning when I get in from work.

And I'm using the latest forceware drivers with the cpu slightly oc'd, both cards are at stock speeds.

JamesP1701
12-14-06, 06:45 AM
I've tried the underclocking again but to no avail. Im going mad!!

Redeemed
12-14-06, 07:05 AM
I've tried the underclocking again but to no avail. Im going mad!!

Have you tried running the games without any of the patches? It'll make the multiplayer gaming impossible- but atleast you could do multiplayer over you LAN (if you have one) and you could still do the single player campaigns.

To run the game without the patches, you'll have to uninstall both games and then reinstall them- and do not download and install any patches.

See if that works.

JamesP1701
12-14-06, 08:39 AM
Nope, no good either! I appreciate your help though.

naxos
02-10-07, 04:14 AM
Hello there...

I have quite similar problem with BFME 1 and 8800gtx...

i can start the game, even i can start playing it... but after some few minutes, i get a crash, fullscreen of coloured pixels and looping sound sample...

i got same with NFS carbon demo, and splinter cell DA even not starts...

HalfLife2 works perfectly, so do 3dmark06...

wany idea ?

my system is not overclocked, my 8800gtx is a XFX one, my CPU is a QX6700 quad one and my ram is some fast 800 ones...