PDA

View Full Version : **Official "Look and Sound of Perfect" (HD DVD) Discussion Thread**

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

superklye
12-12-06, 12:15 AM
I figure it's high-time we have one of these to discuss more general topics under this umbrella rather than just in the Xbox 360 threads about the HD DVD addon.

So, I guess to start it off, I have to say that buying the 360 addon for my roommate's 360 is probably the best purchase I made this year. The stunning quality of movies in 1080p is just breathtaking.

What HD DVDs do you currently own?

I've got a nice little collection of 10 so far:
Batman Begins
V for Vendetta
Constantine
Swordfish
Pitch Black
We Were Soldiers
The Dukes of Hazzard
Serenity
The Breakup
King Kong

superklye
12-12-06, 01:13 AM
I just remembered that Miami Vice and World Trade Center come out tomorrow on HD DVD. I'll have to snag those as well. :D

crainger
12-12-06, 01:18 AM
I just Miami Vice!... on DVD :(. No HD DVD here for around 3-6 months I'd say. :thumbdwn:

It's odd. He had DVD here pretty quickly and they sold really well, but the only next gen format making is way over here is Blu-Ray right now.

superklye
12-12-06, 01:22 AM
That really sucks man. From everything I've seen, HD DVD imposes no region restrictions (like DVD and BR do)...couldn't you feasibly buy player and the DVDs from a site that will ship internationally?

six_storm
12-12-06, 01:34 AM
Add me to the club! I'll post my comments and observations tomorrow once I can get some time with the 360 add-on. Man I'm excited.

Titles Owned So Far:

King Kong
Chronos

superklye
12-12-06, 01:37 AM
Nice! Gratz man! Welcome to the club. :D

crainger
12-12-06, 03:10 AM
That really sucks man. From everything I've seen, HD DVD imposes no region restrictions (like DVD and BR do)...couldn't you feasibly buy player and the DVDs from a site that will ship internationally?

That could very well be a solution if there is no Region restrictions and the Aussie dollar reasonably strong.

Earlier I get in the better. That way I can get a higher price on the DVDs I sell to replace with their HD DVD counter parts.

Wonder if a US 360 Add-on would work with an AU 360. I'd have to use a converter for the power, but I assume it should just be a case of plug and play?

ENU291
12-12-06, 07:15 AM
We have a BIG problem peeps.... All mighty Dell has decided to fully back Blu-Ray as the next generation optical disc standard. This might be the killing blow to HD-DVD that Sony has been looking for.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36309

retsam
12-12-06, 07:49 AM
We Were Soldiers
holly **** this is out on hd-dvd!!!..i read the book twice and have it on dvd....hd-dvd FTMFW!!!!!

superklye
12-12-06, 09:35 AM
We have a BIG problem peeps.... All mighty Dell has decided to fully back Blu-Ray as the next generation optical disc standard. This might be the killing blow to HD-DVD that Sony has been looking for.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36309
Eh, I'm not worried. It's not an option on the M1710 yet and even if it was, that computer starts out at $2300 and I'm sure a BR drive would be at LEAST another $500.

If they were offering it as a free upgrade on their lowest of low end computers, then I'd be worried, but hell...they don't even play/read CDs, so meh.

superklye
12-12-06, 09:36 AM
That could very well be a solution if there is no Region restrictions and the Aussie dollar reasonably strong.

Earlier I get in the better. That way I can get a higher price on the DVDs I sell to replace with their HD DVD counter parts.

Wonder if a US 360 Add-on would work with an AU 360. I'd have to use a converter for the power, but I assume it should just be a case of plug and play?
Well, the HD DVD drive also has a power supply... :o

J-Mag
12-12-06, 12:52 PM
Have there been any good re-masters of 80's and 90's films on HD?

six_storm
12-12-06, 01:24 PM
Well, after watching Chronos and the T-Rex battle scene in King Kong, I can definitly say that I am throughly impressed with the HD-DVD drive. The colors are really bold, crsip details just blast through the screen and the audio is very well done. At first, I couldn't tell that big of a leap in visual quality but after putting back in my season of 24 (SD-DVD), I could tell a pretty noticeable difference.

Here are my pros and cons of the 360 add-on:

PROS:
Eject button doesn't click like the one on the 360 console.
Works better through the 360 than I thought it would.
Impressed with HD-DVD quality in general, just wow!

CONS:
The drive is a bit too big IMO. Kinda wish it was smaller.
When using the menu while watching the movie, the menu drags a little when going to and coming from the screen.

I really wanna go buy some more HD-DVDs but I'm a little strapped for cash as of the moment. I'd also like to rent V for Vendetta or Batman Begins just because I have the SD-DVD version; like to do some comparison between the two to really see the visual/audio leap.

I know that HD-DVD will win the format wars, but when? IMO, BR is going to be around a lot longer than most of us want it to be. With that said, studios will keep putting their movies out on BR exclusive, which in a way screws us HD-DVD users. Also, what about the digital downloading era that is upon us? I'm sure a lot of us knows that this era is fast upon it's way, but what does that mean for HD-DVD?

superklye
12-12-06, 01:28 PM
The places I really noticed the difference between HD and SD were in shots of grass and other landscapes where you can really see the detail instead of a vague green block.

And beards...you can see individual whiskers. It offers such amazing detail! :D

six_storm
12-12-06, 10:34 PM
So I signed up for the Netflix 2 week trial and made a list of movies I wanted. Most of them minus Miami Vice were available. So today, I get email confirmations that Lake House, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Italian Job, all of which are #5 or lower on my queue are being sent. Nice going Netflix! Looks like I won't be paying you after all . . . your service SUCKS!

Oh well, guess I'll just have to buy HD-DVDs or rent them at Hollywood Video until we get them at work. I really doubt we will get any of the new formats for another couple of months. Man would I be glad to see some HD-DVDs come to work!!!!

superklye
12-12-06, 10:53 PM
Lake House? Isn't that the stupid Sandra Bullock/Keanu Reeves movie?

RussianHAXOR
12-12-06, 11:25 PM
can i get a visual on 1080P vs 1080i?

six_storm
12-13-06, 12:29 AM
Lake House? Isn't that the stupid Sandra Bullock/Keanu Reeves movie?

Yeah, it's actually not quite bad for a chick flick. I took my girly to go see it on her bday. I told her tonight that if we can help it, we are going to watch all of our movies in HD lol.

evilchris
12-13-06, 01:51 AM
can i get a visual on 1080P vs 1080i?

What do you mean

evilchris
12-13-06, 01:52 AM
Reviews of "The Hulk" are coming in. Universal has raised the bar again. Lame movie, but reviews are saying it is *the* reference disc for HD quality. BD has been left behind as usual.

superklye
12-13-06, 09:31 AM
Ugh, I just can't bring myself to spend money on that lame duck thereby telling the studios I'm okay with crappy movies. :o

RussianHAXOR
12-13-06, 04:24 PM
What do you mean

i mean can someone give me a difference other than I and P?

WHat are the benefits of 1080 PROGRESSIVE?

superklye
12-13-06, 05:24 PM
Better PQ in theory, though unless you're sitting right in front of the TV, chances are you won't be able to tell a difference.

It's mostly for bragging rights currently.

evilchris
12-14-06, 01:46 AM
i mean can someone give me a difference other than I and P?

WHat are the benefits of 1080 PROGRESSIVE?

In HD DVD / Blu-Ray land, it's meaningless. All films are encoded at 1080p24 on the source disc. Video like concerts will generally be 1080i30. Most players will output either 1080p60 or 1080i30

A 1080p TV is a 1080p TV. If you send it 1080i30, the TV deinterlaces that signal to 1080p60. If you send it 1080p60, you get 1080p60. Visual quality = IDENTICAL.

Ideally, for film, you want 1080p24 which both formats support but few players/displays support. An HD player will read the 24 fps progressive source and do reverse 3:2 pulldown on it to 30 fps interlaced, and then deinterlace that to 60 fps progressive. Or it will skip the deinterlacing, and just output 1080i30. Then you TV will deinterlace that to 1080p60.

The main thing to remember is, all digital displays are progressive and will turn *EVERYTHING* they are sent into progressive in their native resolution. So, don't get caught up in the interlaced versus progressive nonsense when discussing HD players. If you do, you've had too much Sony kool-aid.

superklye
12-14-06, 02:00 AM
Nice description.

And Chris, I looked around at as many HD DVDs I could find, and I couldn't find a single one in 1080i as I said I thought I saw a while back. The only thing I can think of is that I was skimming the backs quickly and saw something about special features being in 480i and I just saw the 80i and automatically put 10 in front.

:o