PDA

View Full Version : BFG Power Supplies

superklye
12-12-06, 11:20 PM
Anyone here use one currently or have you used one in the past? If so...how did you like it and did you have any complaints about it?

Slammin
12-13-06, 11:48 PM
From what I've read, they are not too good in areas of performance. Too much voltage ripple.

Mr Bigman
12-14-06, 12:42 AM
I had one for 2 days and returned it. BestBuy really premotes these and they suck.

OWA
12-14-06, 09:47 AM
The two I have are fine. I have the 650W one and the 1kW one.

john19055
12-14-06, 11:17 AM
I did'nt like it because I could'nt find out what it put out total combined amps on the 12v rail.

vandalous
12-15-06, 04:02 AM
I've got the 1Kw one and it powers my rig fine. I've got it OC'ed with no instability at all. Plus ya gotta love the lifetime warranty.

Q
12-17-06, 10:34 PM
I've got the 1kw one in the mail due here on Monday. My Seasonic 600W seems to be folding under the pressure of the 8800GTX, 3 hard drives, and tons of 120MM fans. My positive voltages are fine, but my negative 5v is running at 3.99 and my negative 12v is only running at like 7. The Seasonic is a good PSU, but I'm spreading it too thin.

I'll let you guys know what I think of it.

Roadhog
12-17-06, 11:11 PM
I've got the 1kw one in the mail due here on Monday. My Seasonic 600W seems to be folding under the pressure of the 8800GTX, 3 hard drives, and tons of 120MM fans. My positive voltages are fine, but my negative 5v is running at 3.99 and my negative 12v is only running at like 7. The Seasonic is a good PSU, but I'm spreading it too thin.

I'll let you guys know what I think of it.

uhm.. the negative voltages don't have to be within specs. And more than 99% of the time its your motherboard reading them wrong.

Also. my 600W PSU runs my system without a sweat, and I have it powering way more stuff than yours.

Q
12-17-06, 11:36 PM
uhm.. the negative voltages don't have to be within specs. And more than 99% of the time its your motherboard reading them wrong.

Also. my 600W PSU runs my system without a sweat, and I have it powering way more stuff than yours.

Normally I would agree with you.

Actually....I do agree with you...buuuuut... ;)

My system has been doing some wonky stuff since the G80 install. I did a fresh install after a bout a week of installing the card and can't figure out exactly whats going on. Everything is just slow as hell. No random restarts or component failures, and I should probably at least get a multimeter to manually check the voltages...AND...

I didn't know that about the negative voltages. :o

Well, I can always ship the bitch back or take advantage of the numerous connectors so I can actually reach everything in my case without a million splitters.

Meh...

Roadhog
12-18-06, 12:02 AM
do a SMART check on your hard drives with speedfan.

EDIT: Also, my power supply doesn't even have any negative rails. I think they are starting to phase them out.

Q
12-18-06, 12:25 AM
I ran Everest last Thursday and noticed 2 of my WD HDs were running in around 50C. I just saw that a damn SATA cable had rubbed against the fan and caused it to stop.

That might have been my issue, but that HD tool helped bring it to my attention again. Thanks! I hope it helps the stability issues.

Roadhog
12-18-06, 12:27 AM
I ran Everest last Thursday and noticed 2 of my WD HDs were running in around 50C. I just saw that a damn SATA cable had rubbed against the fan and caused it to stop.

That might have been my issue, but that HD tool helped bring it to my attention again. Thanks! I hope it helps the stability issues.

What does your smart status come up as?

Q
12-18-06, 12:32 AM
What does your smart status come up as?

Everything is fine concerning their SMART status (I check that periodically with Sandra or Everest), but the drives were running hot as hell. One was running at 54C and another at 51C. They are continuing to drop and are at 47C and 42C now. Once they hit around 40C I'll be happy.

Roadhog
12-18-06, 12:34 AM
Everything is fine concerning their SMART status (I check that periodically with Sandra or Everest), but the drives were running hot as hell. One was running at 54C and another at 51C. They are continuing to drop and are at 47C and 42C now. Once they hit around 40C I'll be happy.

yeah thats pretty warm... Let us know if the new power supply fixes your performance issues. :D

Q
12-19-06, 03:20 PM
The PSU seemed half decent, but came with a broken 4pin mobo connector right out of the box. (The secondary mobo power connector). It was a bit louder than my Seasonic, but all the connectors were very nice. However, the cable length was less than the Seasonic. It fit the P180 Antec and Abit mobo I have, but with not as much slack as I would have liked for cable management.

Voltages held stable, although for the load I put on it I would have been disappointed if it didn't. Seemed OK, but its a Topower unit so its getting sent back to Newegg.

Edit: Seems like XP just getting worn out. Probably some software issues. I think it might be connected in some way with my 8800GTX because I didn't have any problems before installing it. (Two Wipe and Reloads just to make sure)