PDA

View Full Version : Im thinking about buy an xbox 360

Pages : [1] 2

AirtelGuy
12-13-06, 06:20 AM
should I invest in the 399$ system or buy the 299$ core system?

How can I know if xbox live is supported where I live? because im planning on buying the console in the US (I live in israel).

what are the MUST have games that I should buy with the console? the games that looked most apealing to me are Gears Of Wars, PGR3 and some other racing games, Perfect Dark Zero, GRAW, Rainbow Six: Vegas, Call Of Duty 3 and a couple of more games.. if I need to choose about 2-3 games what should I get so I have AWSOME games and some good variety.

I dont know if it is alowed to talk about it here, but how can I make the 360 read burned cds? I heard it depends on the type of dvd drive I get with the 360 - are all the types hackable?

and the most important question - should I get an xbox 360? :P

the reasons I want to buy one is - first of all compared to my pc and current hardware out it has some awsome hardware and can display good graphics, alot of good games come out to the 360 and some of them that come out to the pc are crappy ports (SC:DA,R6:V etc...), and its alot of fun playing on a console because you dont have to worry about settings and stuff and its fun playing with the 360 controller and you can play with friends...

oh and another very important thing (!) - I heard the 360 fries after a couple of months - whats with that? how can I avoid it? I heard it only happens when you put it in closed space with no air flow.. I play on putting it on an open table is that ok?

and is there any reason to wait a couple of months with this buy? I really prefer not to [=

thanks alot! please anwser all my questions!

hazindu
12-13-06, 08:19 AM
Real quickly, I'd go with the premium bundle even if you don't use xbox live, it saves you from having to use memory cards, and it comes with a nice wireless controller. All the games you've mentioned are quality titles. If you're not sure about playing online, then I'd recommend Rainbow Six over Gears of War just because I've heard the single player is a bit more satisfying. I'd also like to recommend Kameo. I've been playing it alot lately, and it's fun and cheap.

six_storm
12-13-06, 08:50 AM
You are wasting your money on a core system so get the premium. As far as games, I've played about every 360 game besides the gay ones like Phantasy Star whatever, that History Channel Civil War game, and a handful of others. Gears of War is THE best game on the 360 right now, Rainbow Six Vegas is really really fun. CoD series is lame for me, it's fun but it's just another WWII game. King Kong is pointless, PDZ is around that area after a while and that LOTR RTS game is a waste of time. Hope this helps! Congrats on getting a 360!

AirtelGuy
12-13-06, 09:18 AM
thanks guys, should I get an extra wireless controller? (so I can play with friends), do the games have good support for 2 players on 1 console?

and If you would have to buy 3 games what would they be? im thinking about gow, r6:v, and pdz/pgr3 or another fun racing game with impressive visuals (please recommend)/burnout revenge/GRAW or anything else youll recommend me...

and how can I found out if I can use xbox live from where I live?

six_storm
12-13-06, 09:20 AM
Check out NewEgg.com for your extra wireless controller. I got mine for $10 cheaper than retail price.

Lyme
12-13-06, 09:25 AM
Go with the premium, simply for the hard drive. If you intend on using XBox Live all the downloadable content while it can fit on a memory card will start filling lots of them.

Reading burned cd's as in music? It does that now.
Reading a burned cd of xbox live demos and trial games? does that too.
Reading burned 360 games? You'd probably need a mod chip, and that WILL get you booted from XBL. I also don't believe there are any successful mod chips out yet.

XBL should work fine in any country, you may however have to choose a different country as your residence when registering for XBL. Has the 360 been released in Israel?

The 360 has improved quite a bit in stability. However you need to ensure you don't move it while using the unit, keep the unit well ventilated (it's like a pc), and it should be fine.

AirtelGuy
12-13-06, 09:41 AM
Go with the premium, simply for the hard drive. If you intend on using XBox Live all the downloadable content while it can fit on a memory card will start filling lots of them.

Reading burned cd's as in music? It does that now.
Reading a burned cd of xbox live demos and trial games? does that too.
Reading burned 360 games? You'd probably need a mod chip, and that WILL get you booted from XBL. I also don't believe there are any successful mod chips out yet.

XBL should work fine in any country, you may however have to choose a different country as your residence when registering for XBL. Has the 360 been released in Israel?

The 360 has improved quite a bit in stability. However you need to ensure you don't move it while using the unit, keep the unit well ventilated (it's like a pc), and it should be fine.

thanks for the good anwser.

I meant reading burned 360 games, so you say that if I install a mod chip the xbox live will detect it and ban me? or if it detects burned games? and I heard that there is ways to read burned cds without a hardware mod...

and from what I know the 360 wasnt offically released here - only a few private stores imported it and its very pricy here, thats why I want to buy it int he US.

ENU291
12-13-06, 09:58 AM
I don't think that talking about bootlegging video games is allowed around here. I suggest you guys take it offline or try to get more info through google.

AirtelGuy
12-13-06, 10:17 AM
another question - will it look good with my lg l204wt? and my screen's ratio is 16:10 and the 360 supports 16:9, will it strech or will there be black bars?

ENU291
12-13-06, 10:19 AM
another question - will it look good with my lg l204wt? and my screen's ratio is 16:10 and the 360 supports 16:9, will it strech or will there be black bars?
You get very small black bars in the top and bottom of the screen.

Gaco
12-13-06, 10:30 AM
Check out Gametrailers.com's Xbox360 Xmas Buyers Guide! ;) (http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=15618&type=wmv)

AirtelGuy
12-13-06, 12:00 PM
thank you, so from what ive seen I think my first 2 MUST HAVE games are gears of war and rainbow six: vegas, ill maybe get tony hawk's project 8 because i love skate games and played alot tony hawk 2,3,4 and I always wished they released a tony hawk game with good graphics and it finally came!

now for some old games that are pretty cheap im thinking of getting perfect dark zero, pgr3/ridge racer 6/burnout revenge (I want a good racing game - I think ill go for pgr 3 or burnout revenge, pgr3 is more of a driving simulater from what I can see and burnout revenge is more arcade style).

please help me decide [=

ViN86
12-13-06, 12:45 PM
should I invest in the 399$ system or buy the 299$ core system?

How can I know if xbox live is supported where I live? because im planning on buying the console in the US (I live in israel).

what are the MUST have games that I should buy with the console? the games that looked most apealing to me are Gears Of Wars, PGR3 and some other racing games, Perfect Dark Zero, GRAW, Rainbow Six: Vegas, Call Of Duty 3 and a couple of more games.. if I need to choose about 2-3 games what should I get so I have AWSOME games and some good variety.

I dont know if it is alowed to talk about it here, but how can I make the 360 read burned cds? I heard it depends on the type of dvd drive I get with the 360 - are all the types hackable?

and the most important question - should I get an xbox 360? :P

the reasons I want to buy one is - first of all compared to my pc and current hardware out it has some awsome hardware and can display good graphics, alot of good games come out to the 360 and some of them that come out to the pc are crappy ports (SC:DA,R6:V etc...), and its alot of fun playing on a console because you dont have to worry about settings and stuff and its fun playing with the 360 controller and you can play with friends...

oh and another very important thing (!) - I heard the 360 fries after a couple of months - whats with that? how can I avoid it? I heard it only happens when you put it in closed space with no air flow.. I play on putting it on an open table is that ok?

and is there any reason to wait a couple of months with this buy? I really prefer not to [=

thanks alot! please anwser all my questions!
DO NOT GET THE CORE SYSTEM. its such a ripoff.

first, the core system does not come with a HDTV cable, so you have to buy that. then theres no harddrive, forcing you to buy a memory card which are bulky and annoying. theres no wireless controller (i never realized how cool it is until i actually used one and could move around without the wires).

seriously if you add up the costs, the premium system is a deal. also, best buy is selling the system with NFS: most wanted (bundled). its a steal. (just got one this week :headbang:)

i got COD3, its a pretty good game. wait for halo3 to come out.

EDIT: good choice with the premium :D

Connaught
12-13-06, 01:12 PM
To answer you most recent question:

Hold off a little longer when buying your racing game Froza 2 is coming and will be worth the wait (what I am doing)

if you cannot wait...then get burnout - fun, entertaining, great graphics, great party game.
I am recommending burnout over pgr3 because when Froza 2 comes out pgr3 will be put in the dark...where as burnout is such different game play you may just whip it out every once and a while to do some road raging.

Go premium - XBL Arcade is a blast - Small Arms (party game and XBL Game)
Get the 2nd Wireless - when you have a friend over and playing GOW you will be happy with the purchace
3 Games to buy (different game play): GOW, Kameo, and get your Tony Hawk

Games to think about:
RB6 Vegas, Ninety Nine Nights (try the demo [market place] if you sorta like buy the game [off ebay <$30 great buy] GRAW, COD 3

stncttr908
12-13-06, 02:37 PM
Check out NewEgg.com for your extra wireless controller. I got mine for $10 cheaper than retail price.
Buy.com still has the $20 off Google Checkout option, bringing the wireless down to $30 + shipping. There's no limit to the number of orders you can make either.

sytaylor
12-13-06, 02:50 PM
Anyone have numbers on the core system vs premium? The whole 2 sku's thing pisses me off vastly. I'd like to see real evidence that it helps sales because Im not convinced at all. One baseline product limits batch and shipping complexity, as well as allowing single unit costs to come down over time. Now if the premium had HD-DVD out of the box, and the core was the current premium system, that would be a different monkey all together.

LiquidX
12-13-06, 03:44 PM
Anyone have numbers on the core system vs premium? The whole 2 sku's thing pisses me off vastly. I'd like to see real evidence that it helps sales because Im not convinced at all. One baseline product limits batch and shipping complexity, as well as allowing single unit costs to come down over time. Now if the premium had HD-DVD out of the box, and the core was the current premium system, that would be a different monkey all together.

I not sure it has helped sales but its great marketing that I think will show its genius in 2007. MS can drop the cores price to $249 to compete directly with the less powerfull Wii and brag about it while using the Premium to further under cut Sony by either dropping the price to say $349 or leaving it at $399 while having more bundle options to draw in buyers. Also the core Blue Dragon bundle in Japan is selling very well.

Gaco
12-13-06, 04:04 PM
Numbers? Numbers of what? :confused:

Comparison of content can be seen here: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/xbox360/xbox360customize.htm

Peoples-Agent
12-13-06, 05:09 PM

Premium you get the hard drive, ethernet cable, headset and a wireless controller and a HD AV lead.

The Core you get the console, a wired gamepad and a crap lead. Pretty much sums it up.... strangely enough with my brother's discount where he works , it was better for me to get the Core and buy the other bits seperate. Rarely works out that well though.

Good time to buy one if you ask me. Bioshock just around the corner!

Lyme
12-13-06, 05:12 PM
thanks for the good anwser.

I meant reading burned 360 games, so you say that if I install a mod chip the xbox live will detect it and ban me? or if it detects burned games? and I heard that there is ways to read burned cds without a hardware mod...

and from what I know the 360 wasnt offically released here - only a few private stores imported it and its very pricey here, thats why I want to buy it int he US.

To date the only way to play burned games is with a modchip, playing on XBL with a modchip in your system will get you banned if MS finds out.

True, I do not have a modded system. True, I don't intend on doing that. True, I haven't looked for one. But if buying non-bootleg games is too pricey for you, you may want to consider not buying a 360 and putting your money to better use. Plus XBL basicly has playable demo's of most games, so you can somewhat tell if you'll like it before you play.

Peoples-Agent
12-13-06, 07:50 PM
To date the only way to play burned games is with a modchip, playing on XBL with a modchip in your system will get you banned if MS finds out.

True, I do not have a modded system. True, I don't intend on doing that. True, I haven't looked for one. But if buying non-bootleg games is too pricey for you, you may want to consider not buying a 360 and putting your money to better use. Plus XBL basicly has playable demo's of most games, so you can somewhat tell if you'll like it before you play.

Not true!

For the 360 it's just a case of flashing the firmware of the DVD drive, there are even kits available now where you don't even have to open the case, not quite sure how these work though.

No Mod chips required and currently no way of picking it up.

If I was a bit bolder to invalidate the warranty on mine, i'd probably give it a whirl just to have a play out of curiousity... but as well know, curiousity killed the 360.

AirtelGuy
12-14-06, 05:51 AM

Its not that its too pricy for me to buy games, good games that are really worth buying im ok with buying and it but there is games that arent so good but I just wanna play them a little.. like fight night 3 has awsome graphics but the game itself isnt that interesting so ill want to have it and play it once in a while...

Lyme
12-14-06, 08:45 AM
Its not that its too pricy for me to buy games, good games that are really worth buying im ok with buying and it but there is games that arent so good but I just wanna play them a little.. like fight night 3 has awsome graphics but the game itself isnt that interesting so ill want to have it and play it once in a while...

I use the XBL playable demo's for that, they do quite well for the try before you buy.

saturnotaku
12-14-06, 11:06 AM

Wait for the price to drop, or buy a used copy. There's no excuse for piracy.

AirtelGuy
12-14-06, 11:49 AM
Wait for the price to drop, or buy a used copy. There's no excuse for piracy.

when do you expect price drops for current 55$ games? when will they cost like the old games that are 30$ or less..

because some games like call of duty 3 are good games but nothing special and not worth buying for 55$ when you have games like gears of war or rainbow six: vegas...