PDA

View Full Version : PS3 backwards compatability a joke?

Pages : [1] 2

rek075
12-13-06, 10:11 AM
Someone compared PS2 games running natively to that running on the PS3 and recorded the difference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoCD9TwLrVs

Is this what they meant by aging SD to HD? :rolleyes:

ENU291
12-13-06, 10:17 AM
OUCH! It's more like aging SD into lower res SD. Can something like this be fixed through a firmware update?

Zelda_fan
12-13-06, 10:29 AM
nO u'Re WrOnG, tHaT iS aGeD sD!!!

nekrosoft13
12-13-06, 10:38 AM
omfg that pathetic

Zelda_fan
12-13-06, 10:46 AM
I can't wait to see how the PS3 ages blu0rar HD into SD!

OWA
12-13-06, 10:56 AM
nO u'Re WrOnG, tHaT iS aGeD sD!!!
I'll be so glad when you grow out of this phase.

nemecb
12-13-06, 11:01 AM
Him and several other forum members...:rolleyes:

It'S aLl TEh rAgE!:D

evilchris
12-13-06, 11:36 AM
It's not a phase. It's how we see the stupid PS3 and BD supporter on this forum. Plain ol' dumb.

evilchris
12-13-06, 11:36 AM
I remember when X360 backwards compat was found to be limited, you had the PS3 Musketeers saying "'HEHEHEhHE SP3 Will PlaY alL ps2 gmaee heheheheheh cU zsoN yc ares!!!"

Marvel_us
12-13-06, 11:43 AM
Good thing I still have my PS2 then. I haven't tried to play any PS2 games on PS3 yet.

I will try to give it a go with God of War a little bit later on and post my thoughts.

Peoples-Agent
12-13-06, 11:44 AM
I remember when X360 backwards compat was found to be limited, you had the PS3 Musketeers saying "'HEHEHEhHE SP3 Will PlaY alL ps2 gmaee heheheheheh cU zsoN yc ares!!!"

hahahhah yeah I remember that, went on for somewhile as I recall.

six_storm
12-13-06, 11:58 AM
It's not a phase. It's how we see the stupid PS3 and BD supporter on this forum. Plain ol' dumb.

Exactly. PS2 games on the PS3 (in that video) look terrible! And I thought the PS2 graphics were bad . . . geez. I'd hate to see what a PS1 game look like lol.

Namrok
12-13-06, 12:11 PM
All the more reason to skip the PS3 entirely. Nothing justifies its existence, and I doubt anything ever will. At least not to me.

I'll just be sticking with my PS2 as all I want from Sony this generation.

Bad_Boy
12-13-06, 12:19 PM
Regardless how you spin it, ps3 BC supports way more games than 360 BC.

Anyways, its a pretty bad problem which could easily be fixed w/ a firmware update it seems. For me it has only majorly affected 480i games and not 480p games. SOTC looks pretty good on the big screen.

Exactly. PS2 games on the PS3 (in that video) look terrible! And I thought the PS2 graphics were bad . . . geez. I'd hate to see what a PS1 game look like lol.
All things considered (i mean ps1 on an hdtv... :/), PS1 games look fine, they look the exact same. Atleast for me anyways.

Namrok
12-13-06, 12:24 PM
Anyways, its a pretty bad problem which could easily be fixed w/ a firmware update it seems.

Kinda like that scaling problem with Bluray movies? How's that coming along BTW?

evilchris
12-13-06, 12:24 PM
Regardless how you spin it, ps3 BC supports way more games than 360 BC.

Going back on the bull**** you spewed last year I see...

Bad_Boy
12-13-06, 12:26 PM
Going back on the bull**** you spewed last year I see...
PS3 BC is like what...95-98%?
Kinda like that scaling problem with Bluray movies? How's that coming along BTW?
Using a 1080p tv here, no problems at all. That free Talledega nights looks like crap though. Black hawk down looks delicious.

evilchris
12-13-06, 12:30 PM
PS3 BC is like what...95-98%?

Using a 1080p tv here, no problems at all. That free Talledega nights looks like crap though. Black hawk down looks delicious.

Do you just pull numbers out of your ass?

Bad_Boy
12-13-06, 12:33 PM
Do you just pull numbers out of your ass?
If you can prove me wrong on that feel free.
Theres like aprox 8000 games possible to support, and PS3 supports about minus 200 of that IIRC.

edit: addition to that,since that 200 number, many are being fixed such as the HDD based games with the latest patch released yesterday.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/14/sony-admits-200-ps2-games-not-working-on-ps3/
Nov 14th...
Sony has confirmed reports that several -- like 200* -- PlayStation 2 games are not functioning properly on PlayStation 3.
*200 titles account for less than 2.5% of the PS2 software catalogue.

evilchris
12-13-06, 12:38 PM
If you can prove me wrong on that feel free.
Theres like aprox 8000 games possible to support, and PS3 supports about minus 200 of that IIRC.

edit: addition to that,since that 200 number, many are being fixed such as the HDD based games with the latest patch released yesterday.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/14/sony-admits-200-ps2-games-not-working-on-ps3/
Nov 14th...

So all 8000 games have been tested?

Namrok
12-13-06, 12:41 PM

So you don't have any problems, but you didn't answer my question. Is it fixed?

Thats ok, I'll answer it for you. Thats another problem Sony fanboys have claimed would take only a "simple" firmware update. And after 2 or 3 firmware updates since the system was released, the problem has still not been fixed.

But you know, I'm sure after another 3 or 4 "simple" firmware updates, they'll have nailed it, right?

Bad_Boy
12-13-06, 12:46 PM
So all 8000 games have been tested?
http://www.jp.playstation.com/ps3/status/index.cgi
might need bablefish translator though.
basically its a database from sony of all ps2/ps1 games that have issues on the ps3. pretty much where that 200 number is coming from. but of course it's a japanese site so you couldnt care less about it, correct?

So you don't have any problems, but you didn't answer my question. Is it fixed?

Thats ok, I'll answer it for you. Thats another problem Sony fanboys have claimed would take only a "simple" firmware update. And after 2 or 3 firmware updates since the system was released, the problem has still not been fixed.

But you know, I'm sure after another 3 or 4 "simple" firmware updates, they'll have nailed it, right?
Honestly I dont know what the deal is with that so I cant even say. I'm just saying I havent had any problems so it doesnt matter to me. I'm not saying it doesnt suck for the ones affected, because it does and hopefully they solve it. But as long as the stuff is working for me, I really don't care.

ENU291
12-13-06, 01:18 PM
The amazing thing is that the true blue Sony fans will put up with just about anything and always put a positive spin on whatever news (good or bad) they hear. As long as the Sony PR machine keeps barking that "this issue will be fixed with a firmware update in the future" the true fan will happily go about his or her business. You have to admire that type of dedication!

Zelda_fan
12-13-06, 01:22 PM

I'll grow out of the phase when Sony quits running their mouthes.

Lyme
12-13-06, 05:27 PM
I completely back the claim that the PS3 is 100% backward compatible with PS2/PS1 games, it damn will should be, Sony stuck a fully functioning PS2 in the PS3 case. Sony did the exact same thing with the PS3, they built a fully functioning PS1 in the PS2 case simply so you could run PS1 games with full compatibility. All the while, the 360 has not had 100% backwards compatibility with Xbox games but instead started with a very small number and has been slowly building on the list of titles.
When you look at the final score you'll see that all things being the same are not. Neither console supports the old controllers, dance pads, etc, that the previous generation did. The PS3 does not have a rumble pack in their controller making any game that uses rumble a shadow of it's former self. The PS3 does not upsample resolutions of the original games, while the 360 is happy to upsample all of the supported ones.
Which leaves us with the PS3 supporting all the games in their original graphical glory with no rumble, and the 360 supporting significantly less games at improved resolutions with rumble.