PDA

View Full Version : Zalman's thermal paste great?

Stoneyguy
12-14-06, 12:41 PM
Tomorrow I will be getting my Zalman 9700 CPU cooler. I'll be using it on my C2D on an ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe mobo. I also bought a tube of AC5 (Arctic Silver 5) to use with it. While waiting on the cooler, I decided to read the reviews posted on Newegg about it. To my surprise, quite a few of the reviewers stated that they used the paste that came with the cooler (even when they had AC5 available). Some seem to praise the stuff. Now I'm at a delima on rather or not to use the AC5 or the Zalman paste.

What would you say is the best to use? Being it will take a week before I could really get a solid result of how the paste is performing, I was wondering if you guys could take the guess work out for me.

Thanks in advance to all helpful replies. :)

jAkUp
12-14-06, 01:18 PM
STG1 is fantastic and sometimes better than AS5.

lightman
12-14-06, 04:06 PM

Could you elaborate on "sometimes" ? :)

J-Mag
12-14-06, 04:09 PM
I wouldn't worry about it too much man. I saw some results where toothpaste worked fine. The 1-2C differential is meaningless.

lduguay
12-14-06, 04:29 PM
Hmm, toothpaste. :naughty:

mullet
12-14-06, 04:30 PM

I use it on all my stuff works like a champ.

lightman
12-14-06, 04:30 PM
Toothpaste. Yeah. Sure. I hope you were kidding ;)

Anyway, I'm gonna stick with AS5 (I have plenty ;)), but I'm still curious...

J-Mag
12-14-06, 04:35 PM
Toothpaste. Yeah. Sure. I hope you were kidding ;)

Actually I wasn't:

http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm

I never verified the test or anything, but I see no reason not to believe it. If anything the test was not supported by a manufacturer, so the results are even more firmly believable.

Stoneyguy
12-14-06, 05:01 PM
Actually I wasn't:

http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm

I never verified the test or anything, but I see no reason not to believe it. If anything the test was not supported by a manufacturer, so the results are even more firmly believable.

That was a hilarious read. It is however contrary to what I've experienced personally. I've experienced a 5 degree difference in the type of compound I've used. I've heard of people getting much more contrasting results. I do agree with the author though that the way you apply it is more important then what name brand you put on.

Anyway, thanks to all for your input so far. As it stands, I'll probably give the Zalman goo a try. Knowing me, my curiosity will get the better of me and by next week I'll move to the A"S"5 and see what the difference is. I'm just lazy and was hoping somebody had done the footwork for me already.

Blacklash
12-14-06, 05:11 PM
I'd like to see more reviews on the Zalman product.

Another option is Arctic Cooling MX-1 (Supposedly it is Shin-etsu):

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/further_prod2.php?idx=60

I've seen one review where the Zalman product was compared to Arctic silver and it was the ceramique, not AS-5:

http://www.bcchardware.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2688&Itemid=40

The thing to remember with AS-5 is it supposed to have on the order of a 200hour set time before it is fully effective. So just slapping some on and immediately comparing it to other pastes is not going to yield accurate numbers.

Amuro
12-14-06, 09:10 PM
I use the ZM STG1 because of its applicator brush. And I believe it beats the AS5 by a few degrees idle and load.

http://www.hi-techreviews.com/Joomla/content/view/170/27/1/2/

Roadhog
12-14-06, 09:37 PM
i use AS5 because its like.. 99.9% silver.. BLING BLING MUTHA****A!

Spartan 117
12-15-06, 10:04 PM
the one that came with mine worls pretty good, no issues yet :)

snowmanwithahat
12-25-06, 11:30 PM
you guys realize it'll make a 1-2 degree difference, right? not enough to help an overclock, and maybe.... just barely maybe enough to be stable if you're currently having instability problems...

Anything that fills the cracks and doesn't insulate is good, which is basically anything that is silicone or silver, hell you don't even really need it, i know people who run their cpus fine without any at all

Roadhog
12-25-06, 11:44 PM
you guys realize it'll make a 1-2 degree difference, right? not enough to help an overclock, and maybe.... just barely maybe enough to be stable if you're currently having instability problems...

Anything that fills the cracks and doesn't insulate is good, which is basically anything that is silicone or silver, hell you don't even really need it, i know people who run their cpus fine without any at all

a 1-2 degree difference is ALOT for overclockers... thats like saying my load temp before was 68c and now its 66c with AS5. Pretty decent drop I would say.

jAkUp
12-26-06, 12:13 AM
A few degrees is a few degrees, and without a doubt worth the $10 to me.

Stoneyguy
12-26-06, 05:43 AM
Well I was going to do a test on both of the paste, but being my mobo is having fluctuating voltage ratings I don't feel it would be a very accurate test. I'm now awaiting my evga 680i board and maybe I'll still be up to doing a comparison.