PDA

View Full Version : New Oblivion Full Fledged Oblivion Expansion Announced

Pages : [1] 2

Riplayne
12-14-06, 07:51 PM
http://www.destructoid.com/full-fledged-oblivion-expansion-shivering-isles-coming-soon--28602.phtml

Titled "Shivering Isles" no release date yet.

nV`andrew
12-14-06, 08:01 PM
thanks this is great news:)

CaptNKILL
12-14-06, 09:07 PM
Cool. :D

hirantha
12-14-06, 09:10 PM
Thatís too much of oblivion I can handle.. Still havenít finished oblivion.. So many dungeon and caves to explore..

LT.Schaffer
12-14-06, 09:11 PM
Awesome cant wait(nana2)

Arioch
12-14-06, 09:21 PM
Sweet - gonna order my PC tomorrow so I am ready for some more Oblivion goodness.

Bearclaw
12-14-06, 09:21 PM
Thatís too much of oblivion I can handle.. Still havenít finished oblivion.. So many dungeon and caves to explore..
Agreed. So much, so little time...

Arioch
12-14-06, 09:29 PM
I loved the two expansions for Morrowind. I liked Tribunal for the large dungeon environment and Bloodmoon for the new outdoor environment and werewolves.

hirantha
12-14-06, 09:41 PM
Agreed. So much, so little time...

You agree with me claw but I have to say i would buy it if they enable dual wielding and have glowing weapons.:D

CaptNKILL
12-14-06, 10:11 PM
Anyone want to guess as to what islands they are going to add?

http://til.gamingsource.net/maps/minibigmaproadslore31gv.jpg

I hope its Summerset Isles. Thatd be pretty huge for an expansion. :)

... just don't look at the map too closely, they screwed with the "scale" of the world so many times that the world map isn't really accurate from game to game.

J-Mag
12-14-06, 10:30 PM

... just don't look at the map too closely, they screwed with the "scale" of the world so many times that the world map isn't really accurate from game to game.

Huh I thought morrowind was just an Island... It includes some of the continent too. Did they add part of the continent in the expansions for morrowind?

crainger
12-14-06, 10:48 PM

My guess would be the Summerset Isles too. Catch a ride from Anvil to the expansion. :D

CaptNKILL
12-14-06, 11:17 PM
Huh I thought morrowind was just an Island... It includes some of the continent too. Did they add part of the continent in the expansions for morrowind?
The Tribunal expansion added the (massive) city of Mournhold on the mainland, but I don't think you could go anywhere outside it. I only played this expansion a little bit.

Bloodmoon added Solstheim, the island to the north. I played that quite a bit. Pretty freaking awesome. That engine did the winter setting surprisingly well. It really looked beautiful considering the game was from 2002. The whole expansion was oozing with atmosphere. Animals to hunt for pelts (which could be made into armor by a nord who was hiding out somewhere), a big nord-style inn\pub way out in the middle of nowhere serving as a "checkpoint" for people crossing the island.

This makes me want to bust out Morrowind again... :D

J-Mag
12-14-06, 11:37 PM
Animals to hunt for pelts (which could be made into armor by a nord who was hiding out somewhere)

Did you ever try out the hunter's mod for Oblivion? It added pelts and various other animal parts to deer, boar, etc... You can sell them but no armor manufacturing I am aware of.

Bearclaw
12-14-06, 11:53 PM
You agree with me claw but I have to say i would buy it if they enable dual wielding and have glowing weapons.:D
Haha, that would be awesome.

CaptNKILL
12-14-06, 11:57 PM
Did you ever try out the hunter's mod for Oblivion? It added pelts and various other animal parts to deer, boar, etc... You can sell them but now armor manufacturing I am aware of.
Hmm... no I havent seen that one. Sounds good though, I'll have to get it. :)

F_L_C
12-15-06, 01:32 AM
Yes! Yes! Yes!:D I never played any RPG games aside from Deus EX 2 and surely never played any fantasy-type game until this one. I hopped on the Oblivion bandwagon awhile back and am definitely hooked now.

nekrosoft13
12-15-06, 06:59 AM

how many times can you explore the same cave over and over again just in different locaton?

Becoming
12-15-06, 08:51 AM
how many times can you explore the same cave over and over again just in different locaton?

Probably as many times as you can keep beating a dead horse I'd imagine. :p

CaptNKILL
12-15-06, 09:19 AM
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

nekrosoft13
12-15-06, 10:23 AM
bla bla bla

hirantha
12-15-06, 10:28 AM

Seriously, this game got so many caves, ruins, dungeons you name it.. i mark it on the map when i visit a place so i wont visit the same place again..

nekrosoft13
12-15-06, 10:38 AM
you have not read what i wrote

all the caves look the same, all the dungeons forts look the same, with slightly different layout.

Riplayne
12-15-06, 10:55 AM
you have not read what i wrote

all the caves look the same, all the dungeons forts look the same, with slightly different layout.

Right, just like how all the levels in pretty much any game look the same, they just have different textures and layouts:captnkill:

CaptNKILL
12-15-06, 11:31 AM
Ok, rather than have this turn into a flame war...

Yes, there are "themes" for the different types of dungeons. Some are elven ruins, some are imperial ruins, some are caves... all the elven ruins look similar, all the imperial ruins look similar and all the caves look similar. The game is built with "pieces", thats how the editor works and thats how they created a game with hundreds of dungeons in the same amount of time it takes most other developers to churn out a 10 hour long game with 7 levels (which most of the time still end up looking very similar).

I put quite a bit of exploration time into the game and I still find new things in dungeons, none of them look the same. There are rooms and objects that look similar, but it couldn't have been any other way or the game would have been tiny, most likely linear and above all, not an Elder Scrolls game.

If people enjoy dungeon crawling for hours and hours in similar looking dungeons, whats the big deal? Hell, its not like Oblivion players are sinking to some new low by being happy with that. Any open ended RPG from the past 20 years has had players doing this in some form. Whether you're mashing the "A" button through 200 rooms of the same repeating brick tiles in an NES RPG from 1987 or fighting and exploring in 200 large dungeons that share some similar building pieces in Oblivion, if you're having fun, thats all that matters.