PDA

View Full Version : 680i sound issue

TonyM16
12-15-06, 08:37 AM
I know that the evga 680 had an issue with sli and sound that has now been fixed with a new bios. However does this sli sound issue appear on the Asus striker 680 asell. Has it been confirmed yet or not? Is the same problem if it has been confirmed? If there is a problem is there any news on when it might be fixed?

I really want a new system and I wanted to base it on a 680i Asus Striker, but not if it will have lots of issues. Thank you.

OWA
12-15-06, 09:49 AM
I think I saw someone mention having the issue with their Striker. I'll see if I can find the post.

Edit: Here is the post. BTW, I believe the sound issues are only if you're using SLI.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1099206&postcount=11

lduguay
12-15-06, 10:32 AM
A new non official beta bios 0505 fixes this problem
it can be found here :
http://www.lejabeach.com/ASUS/Striker/

I flashed it, and so far it seems to fix the sound issue with SLI.
Some says that O/C is a bit better and stable

Warning: This is NOT AN OFFICIAL BETA BIOS

TonyM16
12-15-06, 11:14 AM
Thanks guys. So I could still be on for the striker then.

Iduaguay do you mind posting back after you have spent some time with the new bios to confirm 100% if it is a real fix or a partial fix. It seem not may people have the 0505 as it isn't on the Asus site (in fact they only have 0302) and so the general consesus on the Asus forum is that the issue is still open. It would be great to put their minds at ease aswell as my own. Cheers.

lduguay
12-15-06, 12:12 PM
I did test FEAR Extraction Point for a few minutes, was ok. I will play with it for a while and report back

lduguay
12-15-06, 01:40 PM
I thought it was fixed, but after 30 minutes of F.E.A.R, i found out that the sound issue is still there with Bios 0505. :thumbdwn:
Also, it still freeze on reboot (have to power down and restart). Cant set my 8500C5D to the rated 1066 Mhz for more that 10 minutes, it only works at 800Mhz... I do have the DDR2 voltage set to 2.2V as recommended by Corsair.

TonyM16
12-16-06, 08:58 AM
I thought it was fixed, but after 30 minutes of F.E.A.R, i found out that the sound issue is still there with Bios 0505. :thumbdwn:
Also, it still freeze on reboot (have to power down and restart). Cant set my 8500C5D to the rated 1066 Mhz for more that 10 minutes, it only works at 800Mhz... I do have the DDR2 voltage set to 2.2V as recommended by Corsair.

Thank you for testing for me and for replying, I appreciate it :) and I truly I feel for you :thumbdwn:, and am also very disappointed with the platform. :thumbdwn:

In fact I may have some more bad news, if the Asus forum is any indication. They were saying on the forum that after speaking to the Asus tech support that they claimed to have not even heard of the sound issue and so no fix was even in the pipeline.This is going to be an incredibly difficult decision for me.

I wonder if people are starting to regret buying the 680i and 8800gtx early, what with all these issues. I really hope that the problems get fixed quickly for both our sakes. Good luck.

PS. Having 1066 speed memory stuck at 800mhz c5 also sounds like a terrible issue. Is this a common problem aswell? Would you know if that is Asus specific or on all 680i boards? As of course if I bought the Stiker i would want some fast memory, so that I could overclock.

lduguay
12-18-06, 02:46 PM
Thank you for testing for me and for replying, I appreciate it :) and I truly I feel for you :thumbdwn:, and am also very disappointed with the platform. :thumbdwn:

In fact I may have some more bad news, if the Asus forum is any indication. They were saying on the forum that after speaking to the Asus tech support that they claimed to have not even heard of the sound issue and so no fix was even in the pipeline.This is going to be an incredibly difficult decision for me.

I wonder if people are starting to regret buying the 680i and 8800gtx early, what with all these issues. I really hope that the problems get fixed quickly for both our sakes. Good luck.

PS. Having 1066 speed memory stuck at 800mhz c5 also sounds like a terrible issue. Is this a common problem aswell? Would you know if that is Asus specific or on all 680i boards? As of course if I bought the Stiker i would want some fast memory, so that I could overclock.

Yeah, it sux dirt, sound, memory and reboot issues. I just RMA'd my EVGA board because of SATA issues. Now with the new EVGA BIOS fix, i might just RMA my Striker and get another EVGA. :o
Hopefully, i deal with NCIX, and they have a "no question asked attitude". Really a great place to order. The only problem is that they are located in Vancouver with 5-6 days ground delivery for east coast.