PDA

View Full Version : Core 2 duo Temp Question

ReDxKiNG
12-15-06, 12:41 PM
I am new to the dual core world but i am (or at least try to be) resourceful so after doing some research i found a nice little app called "Core Temp Beta" which reads the temps straight off the cpu and not the middleman(motherboard) anyway upon using this little app I noticed that at idle the temp of "Core 0" is 50c and the temp of "Core 1" is 44c and my question is, is this normal?? Im not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to dual cores in general but shouldnt they have the SAME or at least similar temps and if not then is it normal for Core 0 to be 6 degrees higher than Core 1 at idle?? :confused:

Roadhog
12-15-06, 12:53 PM
seems normal, what are your load temps?

ReDxKiNG
12-15-06, 01:22 PM
Well, I maxed out both cores to 100% usage using TAT(Intel Thermal Analysis) and core 0 was at 65 and core 1 was at 60 ,Do you think that this is normal? Im beginning to think it is but i was just a little worried about it being that im new to dual core tech and whatnot and was scared that it wasnt normal and not to mention that a friend of mine has a E6400(I have an E6300) and both his cores are usually the same and sometimes are 1-3 degrees apart whereas mine are 6 degrees apart

Roadhog
12-15-06, 01:31 PM
Well, I maxed out both cores to 100% usage using TAT(Intel Thermal Analysis) and core 0 was at 65 and core 1 was at 60 ,Do you think that this is normal? Im beginning to think it is but i was just a little worried about it being that im new to dual core tech and whatnot and was scared that it wasnt normal and not to mention that a friend of mine has a E6400(I have an E6300) and both his cores are usually the same and sometimes are 1-3 degrees apart whereas mine are 6 degrees apart

are you using the stock cooler? Thoes temps don't actually seem that bad for the stock cooler.

ReDxKiNG
12-15-06, 01:34 PM
are you using the stock cooler? Thoes temps don't actually seem that bad for the stock cooler.

Yes this is with the stock cooler and some Artic Silver Ceramique

Edit: On another note,I have a question,Do you know what the maximum rated temp for core2duo is?

Roadhog
12-15-06, 01:39 PM
Yes this is with the stock cooler and some Artic Silver Ceramique

Edit: On another note,I have a question,Do you know what the maximum rated temp for core2duo is?

Intel says the thermal spec or whatever is supposed to be 60.1c. But I see tons of people running them well over 60c without a problem. Just leave it how it is. If it dies, then you have your warranty.

ReDxKiNG
12-15-06, 01:51 PM
Intel says the thermal spec or whatever is supposed to be 60.1c. But I see tons of people running them well over 60c without a problem. Just leave it how it is. If it dies, then you have your warranty.

:( 60.1c is not good,i go over that on a daily basis with processor intensive tasks so that worries me but on the other hand i have also heard of and see people running them over 60c with no probs but that doesnt neccesarily mean that nothing will happen to their cpus in the long run just because it hasnt happened yet,but the bright side is, like you said,I still have my warranty so i guess i should just look at it from that perspective as well as looking into some 3rd party cooling in the future,thanks for the help roadhog

Roadhog
12-15-06, 01:54 PM
If you want a decent heatsink go with the Freezer 7 Pro.

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/cpu2.php?idx=79&disc=

But if you have a little more money, go with the Zalman 9700.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118019

ReDxKiNG
12-15-06, 02:04 PM
If you want a decent heatsink go with the Freezer 7 Pro.

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/cpu2.php?idx=79&disc=

But if you have a little more money, go with the Zalman 9700.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118019

Thanks, I will DEFINATELY be looking into those

MAGUS_DOC
12-16-06, 07:48 AM
I finally had a chance to set up my system few weeks ago, I got a 6400 c2 on a gigabite DS3. I installed my old CoolerMaster Hyper 48 with antic 5, which I had running on p4 Prescott and temps according to mobo is around 27 idle, but after reading this thread I installed the core temp beta, it reads temps as 37. The first couple of day after setup the temps were 23 -24, man I was thinking lot of room for OC.:o Not sure if 37 is accurate as my Prescott use to hang around those temps.