PDA

View Full Version : Horror Story - Help me!

Cujo91
12-15-06, 10:12 PM
Hi I really need help I dont know what to do. I bought a evga 8800GTX and had a computer parts store build a reasonable system for it. I installed steam and downloaded DOD Source from my account. When I clicked on find servers, it showed the outline of that particular menu, but not showing servers, and repeated the last part of the music before it froze over and over again. I tried this several times, same thing. I uninstalled the drivers, planning on re-installing them from nvidia's website, but when I did this, it rebooted and the mouse and keyboard would not work. The parts store didn't know what was going on, and they reinstalled windows. I tried the same thing with source, same thing. Then I downloaded the free version of 3dMark06, and two seconds into installing it a box popped up and said something to the effect of catostrphic failure and the installation died. Then I tried to run dod again and it'll show that guy right before the main menu, then go into the main menu for a second then the game will close and a box will pop up saying Engine Failure: No permissions to run 'dod'. After I'm forced to hit ok, another box pops up and says something about memory terminated, could not read. I know I have the right GPU drivers, I'm not sure how to check what nforce drivers I have but the parts store said they updated everything. I have a 550watt psu, I do have a LCD monitor VGA hooked into a DVI adapter that came with the motherboard. Could that have anything to do with it? I have no idea in hell what to do, help me please!

SLippe
12-15-06, 10:23 PM
Doesn't quite sound like a driver issue, but more like a hardware issue. I'm leaning towards bad memory, but could be a couple of things. Without really diagnosing it in person it's hard to say.

If you are able, check all connections inside the computer, especially the power connectors, make sure they are all seated well. What kind of PSU is in your system? Not wattage, but name.

Could be several things, bad hard drive(s), memory, cpu, gpu, psu, etc. Keep us updated.

firehawk
12-15-06, 10:24 PM
if this all started after they got there hands on it i would take it back to the shop and get them to fix it.

SLippe
12-15-06, 10:26 PM
Oh, another thing, after it all starts working, I highly suggest you get at least 1 more gig of RAM.

SlieTheSecond
12-15-06, 10:45 PM
What psu? More info than just "550 watt"

Cujo91
12-15-06, 10:52 PM
The PSU is the Antec Power Trio TP3-550 ATX12V 550W. The connections look good, nothing lose. On Nvidia control panel, it has nothing for the motherboard information, all not reported. Also says no Nforce audio. I ran aquamark3, which actually ran, got 115,059. It played the sound effects on the menu, but when it was testing game footage there were no sounds. Maybe there isn't, but I'm just looking for connections.

Cujo91
12-15-06, 11:21 PM
I can run that adrianne showcase thing. Is that good or bad.

SLippe
12-16-06, 01:25 AM
I'd try installing the newest NForce drivers for your board.

Cujo91
12-16-06, 03:31 AM
I downloaded the newest 590 drivers, networking was added to the nvidia control panel so I think i had old ones. Loaded up Counter Strike source, clicked find servers, same thing happened. Also zone alarm wont work now. AHh!!!

Cujo91
12-16-06, 04:36 PM
I guess zone alarm works now, but it takes around 5 minutes for all the buttons to show up, just shows the outline for awhile. I can play game demos, also the video stress test for cs source. I was going to see if I could just make a single player map for cs source, and it started loading but crashed and said it was missing some files.

camwilson04
12-16-06, 05:16 PM
I guess zone alarm works now, but it takes around 5 minutes for all the buttons to show up, just shows the outline for awhile. I can play game demos, also the video stress test for cs source. I was going to see if I could just make a single player map for cs source, and it started loading but crashed and said it was missing some files.
How are you installing source? could be a scratch on cd or corrupt GCF?

Cujo91
12-17-06, 11:43 AM
I downloaded it from steam's website, and logged on with my name that I created when I had half life 2 on my old computer.