PDA

View Full Version : Final C2D motherboard questions - mainly PFB audio

Hambone
12-16-06, 03:25 PM
Trying to make my final MOBO selection. Never in all my life have I had this much stress over picking out a motherboard. :) The Gigabyte-DS3 seems to be the best way to go for price and value for now. It won't be as painful to spend more on a better MOBO later.

I will have:
E6600
EVGA 8800GTS
FSP Group 500W PSU
Crucial Ballistix DDR1000 2x1GB

Gigabyte-DS3
(nothing really bad I can find - will need a stick of crap ram to boot maybe since i have the 2.2v ram).

EVGA 680i
I really want to get one but there's so many bad comments about the SATA corruptions issue I'm scared (and stabiltiy questions...). And, if I ever SLI, it won't be for at least 6 month to a year down the road. Also i know it uses more power than the Intel chipset and I have a 500W FSP Group (2 Rail) PSU. I'm pretty sure this board plus a E6600 and a 8800GTS would be find though. So many seem to have no problems at all with this board, and so many seem to think it's the coolest MOBO in existance currently. :)

PFB Deluxe
With the current BIOS, the only thing negative I can really find about the PFB-D's is that a ton of people say the sound chip suck and they had to put in sound cards (because it's just so bad).

I have an original Audigy from like 6 or 7 years ago in the closet... I think those go for $25 bucks now. I'm stuck with two speakers right now (bad room setup) so surround sound isn't a major concern to me.

I don't want to blow money on an X-FI when I don't need one right now. Would I have to use that old Audigy card and if so is it good enough (no audio processing burdeon on the CPU).

john19055
12-17-06, 12:09 AM
If you are just going with a single card then get the Gigabyte-DS3 or the PFB Deluxe,the 680i are nice but they are too high IMO It has SLI and a buch of other stuff thats really useless. If you just have two speakers the on board sound would do ,and that Audigy is still a good sound card.