PDA

View Full Version : my DELL 3007WFP doesn't work on 8800GTX card

Vernius
12-17-06, 04:20 AM
I have two XFX 8800GTX cards in SLI and my new 30" Dell doesnt work on them. At all.

It would turn on, show some scrambled lines and go blank again.
It doesnt work on another system with a 6800 Ultra AGP card - but at least it works during the boot (then goes blank)

I tried hooking it up to a Sony Vaio notebook with a Radeon 9700 and it works fine. So it looks liek an nVidia problem?

I have tried everything. All the latest drivers, using only 1 card, etc.. nothing works.

WTF? :(

Toss3
12-17-06, 08:35 AM
I have two XFX 8800GTX cards in SLI and my new 30" Dell doesnt work on them. At all.

It would turn on, show some scrambled lines and go blank again.
It doesnt work on another system with a 6800 Ultra AGP card - but at least it works during the boot (then goes blank)

I tried hooking it up to a Sony Vaio notebook with a Radeon 9700 and it works fine. So it looks liek an nVidia problem?

I have tried everything. All the latest drivers, using only 1 card, etc.. nothing works.

WTF? :(
I've seen people use dell 3007wpfss with 8800gtxs without any problems so it might just be that you got defective hardware. :-/ Have you tried hooking the display up to both cards? I'm not really sure how that dual link stuff works, but I guess there are many here that can help you... :o

Vernius
12-17-06, 08:47 AM
I've seen people use dell 3007wpfss with 8800gtxs without any problems so it might just be that you got defective hardware. :-/ Have you tried hooking the display up to both cards? I'm not really sure how that dual link stuff works, but I guess there are many here that can help you... :o

What hardware is defective? The monitor itself or the video cards?

My 20" Samsung works fine with my SLI setup (DVI)

Dell 3007 doesnt work on wither cards (neither 8800GTX nor 6800 Ultra)

HeavyH20
12-17-06, 08:59 AM
Using the included cable, right? Sounds like a dual scan issue. And, I doubt you have two bad cards, so it may be simply the cable since that is the item that is not tested when they make the monitors. The monitors temselves, however, are QA tested. Call Dell, explain the issue, and they will send you a new cable. There may be a bad pin.

Vernius
12-17-06, 10:33 AM
Using the included cable, right? Sounds like a dual scan issue. And, I doublt you have two bad cards, so it may be simply the cable since that is the item that is not tested when they make the monitors. The monitors temselves, however, are QA tested. Call Dell, explain the issue, and they will send you a new cable. There may be a bad pin.

i have tried 2 different DVI cables

(the other one is from my Samsung monitor)

HeavyH20
12-17-06, 10:43 AM
Has to be dual link DVI, not a regular DVI. Otherwise, you get the scan errors.

OWA
12-17-06, 10:48 AM
Heh, I was going to say that but I needed to look it up to be sure first. :p

TonyM16
12-17-06, 11:07 AM
My dell 3007wfp came with a dvi cable and that is the only one I use, as it's dual link. This sounds like he's has misplaced the cable that came with his monitor. Also does both dvi sockets on the 8800gtx have dual link? 7 series only had one.

Topic creator all these cables have faint white writing on them. Look for that. It i show you can identify the Dell 3007 one. It will say if it's single or dual link. My guess is the problem occurs as the gpus driver is forcing the monitor to display it's native resolution as it does, and the monitor can't do that as it's single link max resolution is only 1200x800. The sony vaio's gpu driver probably doesn't force the monitor to display native resolution.

HeavyH20
12-17-06, 11:13 AM
The 8800 cards support dual, dual link. So, both ports work.

Vernius
12-17-06, 01:07 PM
Guys, i just took a look at my cable, that came with the monitor, and it says Single Link DVI cable. It looks like this:

http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000095ISL.01-A9B09ZK9BZJQ6._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Maybe I need a Dual Link DVI cable that looks like this:

http://electronicsoutfitter.com/images/items/141796-bknav5140016.jpg

???

Cyant
12-17-06, 03:19 PM
Hahaha Dell gave you a single link DVI cable with your 30" monitor?

hirantha
12-17-06, 03:36 PM
Hahaha Dell gave you a single link DVI cable with your 30" monitor?

i dont think Dell is that stupid to miss something like that.. i say call Dell and find out.

Vernius
12-17-06, 06:02 PM
i dont think Dell is that stupid to miss something like that.. i say call Dell and find out.

Yeah they did. Where else would I get it from? It couldn't have just appeared out of thin air in my appartment.

Gonna run to a store tommorow and grab a dual link cord.

Hope it solves the problem.

einstein_314
12-17-06, 07:21 PM
Wow, I can't believe Dell would screw that up....But yeah, you definately need one like the second pic you posted. The first pic is the same as the cable I got with my Dell 2407WFP. It's definately a single link one...weird. Hope a new cable solves your problem!

LBJM
12-17-06, 10:25 PM
Guys, i just took a look at my cable, that came with the monitor, and it says Single Link DVI cable. It looks like this:

http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000095ISL.01-A9B09ZK9BZJQ6._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Maybe I need a Dual Link DVI cable that looks like this:

http://electronicsoutfitter.com/images/items/141796-bknav5140016.jpg

???

My cable is white like the first but it has all the pins in it like the second, make sure you look at the cable again because dell sent me a dual link cable I and I bought mine nov 17th. you should have a dual-link dvi cable from dell, if you don't call them up and get one. they're not cheap in stores. I got a 15' dual link cable online and it was under $20 stores want $50-$100. here is a DVI pin guide (http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html) for those that need it.

harshw
12-18-06, 06:55 AM
I agree. Dell should give you a Dual - Link cable and trust me, they are NOT cheap when you buy from retail stores. Online is better. But call up Dell first and tell them that they have sent you the wrong cable. They are known to do that sometimes. But usually they are quick to correct it

Digital_Trans
12-18-06, 07:27 AM
My cable is white like the first but it has all the pins in it like the second, make sure you look at the cable again because dell sent me a dual link cable I and I bought mine nov 17th. you should have a dual-link dvi cable from dell, if you don't call them up and get one. they're not cheap in stores. I got a 15' dual link cable online and it was under $20 stores want $50-$100. here is a DVI pin guide (http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html) for those that need it.

I have the Belkin Dual Link DVI-Cable Silver Series 8FT. It's a damn good cable and it's my choice of all brands since Monster Cable doesn't make a Dual Link DVI-Cable only Single. And I to had that same problem when I got the Dell 3007WFP. I was using a single link DVI-Cable with no display or video detection.
I do suggest you go on ebay and buy this cable for two reasons. 1.) It's cheaper for an 8ft cable and you can get the Belkin Silver Series 2.) You'll get more for your money vs. buying another lesser quality cable for more in one of those retail stores. I've done my research so let me save you sometime. Okay, good luck! :D

XFX Support
12-18-06, 03:52 PM
Please keep us posted, I hope the new cable works, especially as stated before, they are far from cheap.

XFX Support

epithumia
12-18-06, 07:29 PM
I picked up a three meter Startech KVM cable that turned out to be dual-link DVI-I for $25. Unfortunately the plug on the back of my 3007WFP is dual-link DVI-D only, so I had to break off the four analog pins and cut down the paddle a bit. It works just fine and has a conveniently attached USB cable to boot.

LBJM
12-19-06, 04:31 AM
I do suggest you go on ebay and buy this cable for two reasons. 1.) It's cheaper for an 8ft cable and you can get the Belkin Silver Series 2.) You'll get more for your money vs. buying another lesser quality cable for more in one of those retail stores. I've done my research so let me save you sometime. Okay, good luck! :D

and how much did you pay for your cable? i paid $13 shipped for a high quality 15Ft. from the egg. I doubt ebay is much cheaper.

tmack
12-23-06, 10:21 PM
I have a Dell 3007WFP and a 8800GTX... and it doesn't work. I get a blank screen/freeze up.

I definately have the right cable. It came with the monitor, has a yellow sticker that says "Dual Link DVI" and it looks like the second picture.

It also works fine with my GX2, but with the 8800GTX nothing.

I've had this card sitting in a box for two months now.

Ancient
12-23-06, 10:35 PM
Have you tried your GTX with a smaller monitor to see if it's a problem with the card?

tmack
12-23-06, 10:49 PM
Yes, it works fine on a 19" dell flat panel.

And my GX2 works fine on the 30" monitor (what I'm using right now).

TonyM16
12-24-06, 09:50 AM
I have a Dell 3007WFP and a 8800GTX... and it doesn't work. I get a blank screen/freeze up.

I definately have the right cable. It came with the monitor, has a yellow sticker that says "Dual Link DVI" and it looks like the second picture.

It also works fine with my GX2, but with the 8800GTX nothing.

I've had this card sitting in a box for two months now.

lol. What you need to do is install the 8800gtx drivers, using the other monitor. You can now boots up in to windows with the 3007wfp as the driver will auto select the correct resolution. I can't believe you have been sitting on the card for two months. Trust me when I say this the 8800gtx is fully compatible with the 8800gtx. If it doesn't wrok at first it is probably just something simple that need doing.

Ps. If you have already got the 97.02/97.44/97.28 driver installed on the PC and it still doesn't work, then do this. Boot up using your 19inch monitor, and set the resolution at 1200x800. If it's not there , make it. . Now switch of the PC, and reconnect the Dell 3007wfp , remembering to use the dual link cable. It should work now.

mukkyman
12-24-06, 07:14 PM
Do you see the boot up screen? If you dont, its not going to be a problem with drivers. Also try plugging in your other dell monitor and see if you can use your big dell in the other dvi port, line a dual screen setup.

Hope that help.