PDA

View Full Version : Zelda... Gamecube vs Wii

Pages : [1] 2 3

|MaguS|
12-17-06, 04:29 PM
So I own both of them... I have completed the Wii version but not at 100% so I am replaying the game on the Gamecube and I easily like it better then the Wii version. I feel more comfortable with the controls, but that can be because I really never "liked" the Wii's control. I think the only game I like better using it then the normal controller is Raving Rabbids.

One thing is certain, when they ported the game they did not change the graphics at all... minus adding 16:9 support. Other then that they both support Progressive Scan and look good... My friend has the Gaemcube version aswell and claims he has experianced slow down, I on the other hand haven't at all. Game is running smooth and steady for me, both versions.

Now the biggest difference... the Gamecube version is the technically/historically the "real version" (waits for Zelda_fan to come in here and daming my words) but if your a REAL and TRUE fan of the Series then you would want the game to be as accurate as possible and well the Wii version has made a large change that I did not notice untill I got the GC version. On the Wii Link is Right Handed... on the Gamecube he is Left Handed, just like every other Zelda game to ever release...

Anyway... Just wanted to post my experiance between the two versions...

LiquidX
12-17-06, 05:00 PM
I've been waiting for the comparisons to come in and a few people have said they prefer the GC version and your another one so thats the version I will be getting. Plus it will look good next to my four other Zelda's for the Gamecube.

six_storm
12-17-06, 05:03 PM
Have you tried the Wii version with the "Original Controller" or whatever it's called? Just wondering.

I think just the 16:9 support would sell me on the Wii version alone.

|MaguS|
12-17-06, 05:05 PM
Have you tried the Wii version with the "Original Controller" or whatever it's called? Just wondering.

I think just the 16:9 support would sell me on the Wii version alone.

Doesn't work, the Wii version is designed with the Wii Controller in mind. The UI is different as is the entire game. They litterally flipped the game so that Link is right handed rather then remodeling him...

Lfctony
12-17-06, 05:26 PM
Well, I went a got myself a Wii yesterday. I don't like the controller at all. I prefer a normal gamepad, but unfortunately Wii games will not run with the classic controller... I'll just get a Classic controller for it and get a few gamecube games to play... :( And I'll be staying away from FPSs on the Wii, I'm terrible with the controller at aiming. :p

Am_I_Evil
12-17-06, 05:30 PM
I'll just get a Classic controller for it and get a few gamecube games to play... :(

i could be wrong...but i'm fairly sure the classic controller doesn't work with GC games...

Lfctony
12-17-06, 05:37 PM
i could be wrong...but i'm fairly sure the classic controller doesn't work with GC games...

Well, it should play them. Because the Wii plays Gamecube games, I don't think it will run them with the Wiimote. Is there another controller specifically for Gamecube games? I thought the CC was for that...

Am_I_Evil
12-17-06, 05:52 PM
Is there another controller specifically for Gamecube games?

the Gamecube controller

saturnotaku
12-17-06, 05:53 PM
Well, it should play them. Because the Wii plays Gamecube games, I don't think it will run them with the Wiimote. Is there another controller specifically for Gamecube games? I thought the CC was for that...

There are 4 GC controller ports on top of the Wii. I have one for GC and VC games.

Lfctony
12-17-06, 05:54 PM
the Gamecube controller

Can you connect a normal Gamecube controller on the Wii though? That's what I'm asking... :)

Edit: NM, just found out that you can... :p Thanks Sat.

Gaco
12-17-06, 06:03 PM
lol *awaiting zeldafan's reaktion* :D

rek075
12-17-06, 06:49 PM
I've heard a lot of pros and cons for both. The controller thing is something you like or don't. Aiming is supposedly easier on the Wii version though.

kev13dd
12-17-06, 07:50 PM
The GC got a higher rating than the "horrible" 88% that the Wii version got. the review made it sound like they prefered the Wii version, but the GC had better sound

K

Zelda_fan
12-17-06, 07:56 PM
So I own both of them... I have completed the Wii version but not at 100% so I am replaying the game on the Gamecube and I easily like it better then the Wii version. I feel more comfortable with the controls, but that can be because I really never "liked" the Wii's control. I think the only game I like better using it then the normal controller is Raving Rabbids.

One thing is certain, when they ported the game they did not change the graphics at all... minus adding 16:9 support. Other then that they both support Progressive Scan and look good... My friend has the Gaemcube version aswell and claims he has experianced slow down, I on the other hand haven't at all. Game is running smooth and steady for me, both versions.

Now the biggest difference... the Gamecube version is the technically/historically the "real version" (waits for Zelda_fan to come in here and daming my words) but if your a REAL and TRUE fan of the Series then you would want the game to be as accurate as possible and well the Wii version has made a large change that I did not notice untill I got the GC version. On the Wii Link is Right Handed... on the Gamecube he is Left Handed, just like every other Zelda game to ever release...

Anyway... Just wanted to post my experiance between the two versions...

As far as your control preferences go, you are entitled to your opinion, and there is really nothing that I can argue against it. However, I strongly disagree, and I hope future Zeldas not only stick to the Wiimote controls but go a step further with true 1:1 sword:wiimote mapping. The Wii controls are brilliant and (in my opinion) are superior to the classic controller in every way.

As far as the lore is concerned, I completely disagree, and I *can* argue that. If you connect the dots between all the games, you will find that Link is not one single hero, but several different heroes who happen to fulfill a prophecy that states "every time a cloud of evil fills Hyrule, the legendary hero will arrive once every 100 years to cleanse the land." So there are several different "versions" of Link, and one could argue that the Twilight version is actually right handed. The Wii version was released first and is the most popular, so that is the one I go by as far as lore is concerned.

Not that is really makes a difference, a top notch game is still a top notch game.

As far as graphics go, I really didn't expect the Wii version to be that much better other than the widescreen support. Which is good news. This means that there is a lot of juice in the Wii that is left untapped. So the next gen Zelda (which has been confirmed by Nintendo to be in development for the Wii) is going to kick even more ass.

|MaguS|
12-17-06, 08:48 PM
I hope future Zeldas not only stick to the Wiimote controls but go a step further with true 1:1 sword:wiimote mapping.

1:1 mapping will never happen... they would have to create an animation for every possible action that a person could do... and well thats not going to happen. I mean Link would need to know how to write my name in a sword swing if I did that motion while playing...

one could argue that the Twilight version is actually right handed. The Wii version was released first and is the most popular, so that is the one I go by as far as lore is concerned.

Sorry to burst your bubble but while the Wii version released first it was in development far longer on the GC then the Wii aswell they wouldn't have a reason to make Link left handed in the GC version if the Wii version was the "Correct" one. Why flip the game if it was always intended to be right handed? yeah... good try though...

Namrok
12-17-06, 09:10 PM
1:1 mapping will never happen... they would have to create an animation for every possible action that a person could do... and well thats not going to happen. I mean Link would need to know how to write my name in a sword swing if I did that motion while playing...

Lies, all lies. With procedural animation this would be not only possible, but easy compared to recorded animation. You're just ignoring things now to bash the Wii.

toxikneedle
12-17-06, 09:12 PM
Lies, all lies. With procedural animation this would be not only possible, but easy compared to recorded animation. You're just ignoring things now to bash the Wii.
They'll just need to make it look good, because Red Steel for example looks retarded because of procedual animation.

|MaguS|
12-17-06, 09:19 PM
They'll just need to make it look good, because Red Steel for example looks retarded because of procedual animation.

But Red Steel isn't fully procedural , only when hes holding a gun (even then it only maps how he tilts the gun, the aiming is procedural). When it comes down to sword fighting its all preloaded animation. It is going to take a long time till we see perfect procedural animation... the Indiana Jones game is one of the first to truly take advantage of it but its all dependent on what happens within the game, not according to how the player controls the character.

We first need to get procedural animation working good and fluid on its own before we start mapping it to our own movements while controlling the character. Untill a videogame character responds naturally in a game thanks to procedural animation, it wont be used for 1:1 mapping.

Mathesar
12-18-06, 09:43 AM
I have a widescreen hdtv so the choice is clear for me .. plus im used to the wii's control now after 41 hours of game time, I still have a ways to go it looks like I might be in the 70hr's range before im done ,which is fine with me :)

Zelda_fan
12-18-06, 01:21 PM
But Red Steel isn't fully procedural , only when hes holding a gun (even then it only maps how he tilts the gun, the aiming is procedural). When it comes down to sword fighting its all preloaded animation. It is going to take a long time till we see perfect procedural animation... the Indiana Jones game is one of the first to truly take advantage of it but its all dependent on what happens within the game, not according to how the player controls the character.

We first need to get procedural animation working good and fluid on its own before we start mapping it to our own movements while controlling the character. Untill a videogame character responds naturally in a game thanks to procedural animation, it wont be used for 1:1 mapping.

O ye of little faith. The in house dev team at Nintendo is quite a bit more competent than the Red Steel team at Ubisoft.

Maybe Nintendo can't get true 1:1 mapping going, but I'm positive they could get something very close that worked just as well.

Zelda_fan
12-18-06, 02:15 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble but while the Wii version released first it was in development far longer on the GC then the Wii aswell they wouldn't have a reason to make Link left handed in the GC version if the Wii version was the "Correct" one. Why flip the game if it was always intended to be right handed? yeah... good try though...

lol @ MaguS who thinks he knows more about Zelda than I do

|MaguS|
12-18-06, 03:39 PM
lol @ MaguS who thinks he knows more about Zelda than I do

Considering you said you had trouble with the final battle, I can say im also a better player then you... The entire game was easier then OOT.

ViN86
12-18-06, 03:40 PM
Considering you said you had trouble with the final battle, I can say im also a better player then you... The entire game was easier then OOT.
OH SNAP!!111111111111one

(popcorn)

evilchris
12-18-06, 03:42 PM

HAVE AT YOu!

http://videogameslive.com/files/images/zelda.jpg

ViN86
12-18-06, 03:46 PM
HAVE AT YOu!

http://videogameslive.com/files/images/zelda.jpg
:rofl

omg plz tell me thats you. if thats you that will be my new avatar hahahaha