PDA

View Full Version : NCQ vs. non-NCQ

jcniest5
12-17-06, 11:37 PM
Is it any advantageous to get an NCQ HD rather than a non-NCQ? Trying to decide whether I should get a Seagate with NCQ or Western Digital with no NCQ. Give me your advice quick since there is a sale at BestBuy on the WD 500GB for just $149.99. That's a saving of $100 (from $249.99) and Newegg has it for $269.99, so you can see the importance. Thanks in advance...

Q
12-17-06, 11:41 PM
Most HD's are coming with NCQ nowadays***. You can always disable it either in the BIOS or using the HD's diagnostic tool.

Run NCQ if its for a server with extremely heavy loads. Disable it for everything else.

EDIT: And now I'm getting one of those WD drives. ;)

Edit2: *** I made that statement without any evidence. In reality, NCQ only matters in the server environment anyways.

jcniest5
12-18-06, 05:04 PM
Anyone who's interested in saving and could careless about NCQ should stop by Best Buy and get one for yourself or as a gift for someone you care for. The WD 500GB SE16 SATA2 300/MBs is just $149.99. Bought one earlier today. Only one left after I bought mine. Could run out pretty quick so you better hurry.