PDA

View Full Version : Comparison of AVIVO v/s PureVideo

harshw
12-18-06, 09:12 AM
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/2006/12/18/ati-avivo-and-nvidia-purevideo-dissected-uk/

I thought the new PureVideo drivers ( not the PureVideo decoder ) had edge enhancement AND noise reduction. I also thought that the latest drivers detect all cadences

So how come this result ?

Here is hardware.info's take on the subject ... http://www.hardware.info/en-UK/articles/am9nY2pqZA/ATI_and_nVidia_crush_highend_DVD_players/17

What is surprising is that the article does not mention the problems with ATI cards should one ever try to use it in a HTPC. My x1600 cannot display the BIOS/boot screen correctly and will not let me use anything other than 1920x1080@50Hz for my Sony 46W2000. And if I use an Nvidia card, it does 1920x1080 @ 60Hz and has correct aspect ratio for the BIOS/boot screen

I think I'll try to run the HQV tests myself with ATI and NVidia with the latest catalyst drivers and see what the results are ...

RejZoR
12-18-06, 09:33 AM
No noise reduction for NVIDIA ? Lol? Also no sharpening? I can use this on 6600GT in ANY video, be it MPEG-2 or DivX. And sometimes looks really sweet, adding detail and cleaning up image...

toby77jo
12-18-06, 09:45 AM
forget about avivo and purevideo, use ffdshow for all movie playback and enable upscaling, sharpening and denoising there, only way to get it done right...

DarkJedi664
12-18-06, 09:55 AM
FFDShow is HORRIBLE at HD video.

RejZoR
12-18-06, 09:55 AM
ffdshow indeed rox. No compatibility problems and very fast.

toby77jo
12-18-06, 10:08 AM
well if you don't like ffdshow with HD get CoreAVC video decoder.

And for those of you that want to be more advanced, use realtime avisynth playback scripts, for sharpening, denoising, upscaling in ffdshow, you have an exellent guide here:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=115727&highlight=seesaw

I use this,

LoadPlugin("D:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\FluxSmooth.dll")
MT("a = last
b = a.FluxSmoothT(11)
SeeSaw(a, b, NRlimit=2, NRlimit2=1, Sstr=1.4, Slimit=7, Spower=2, Sdamplo=8, SdampHi=10, Szp=10, bias=1, sootheT=30)
SPresso(limit=2, limitC=2, bias=76, biasC=76, RGmode=4, RGmodeC=4)",3)

ViN86
12-18-06, 10:45 AM
you have to buy the purevideo dvd decoding software :wtf:
this was probably old news, but its new to me, heh.

EDIT: for the pirates out there, its available if you look hard enough. thats all im going to say...

harshw
12-18-06, 01:19 PM
forget about avivo and purevideo, use ffdshow for all movie playback and enable upscaling, sharpening and denoising there, only way to get it done right...

ffdshow indeed rox. No compatibility problems and very fast.

Yep, ffdshow is good. But that is not the point. The point is that the author is misleading people - clearly PureVideo is not as dumb as he portrays it to be.

fivefeet8
12-18-06, 10:58 PM
you have to buy the purevideo dvd decoding software :wtf:
this was probably old news, but its new to me, heh.

EDIT: for the pirates out there, its available if you look hard enough. thats all im going to say...

You don't have to buy it. The decoder is only for mpeg2 anyways.

DSC
12-19-06, 04:40 AM
What a disgrace of an article. Does the writer even know that Edge Enhancement(Sharpening) and Noise Reduction is already in the 90 series drivers? And those drivers were out months ago. 91.47 was released back in September. And as the thread starter already linked to the Hardware.info article where Nvidia scores 123 in the HQV benchmark, clearly the THG article wasn't well researched or thought out at all.

Also I tried to send feedback to THG about their article, but guess what? The form on their site doesn't even work, whether I used Firefox or IE.

F_L_C
12-19-06, 04:45 AM
What a disgrace of an article. Does the writer even know that Edge Enhancement(Sharpening) and Noise Reduction is already in the 90 series drivers?

As well as pulldown detection. This guy must of either 1) used a pre-9x.xx driver or 2) used a 9x.xx driver, but w/ the old CP.

toby77jo
12-19-06, 07:43 AM
Since we are discussing sharpening and denoising, based on your opinion, what is a good value between 0-100 for both sharpening and denoising to use with the nvidia driver on a dvd source, dvi-hdmi on a 40 inch plasma HD tv?

I am most interested in denoising, to make the gradients in colors more soft, now i can see lots of blocks and pixels in certain scenes, especially in dark scenes.

harshw
12-19-06, 12:35 PM
Since we are discussing sharpening and denoising, based on your opinion, what is a good value between 0-100 for both sharpening and denoising to use with the nvidia driver on a dvd source, dvi-hdmi on a 40 inch plasma HD tv?

I am most interested in denoising, to make the gradients in colors more soft, now i can see lots of blocks and pixels in certain scenes, especially in dark scenes.

I tend to use 15 to 20 for sharpening and upto 40 max for denoising. Excess sharpening causes artefacts (clearly visible) and excess denoising softens the image, taking away fine details etc. There is no 'one size' fits all value. On some DVDs it is not necessary to use a higher level of denoise, for example. If you are upscaling the DVD onto 1080p say, the sharpening helps a lot

Phyxion
12-19-06, 01:40 PM
I use 6 and 30, seems to be enough for me.

F_L_C
12-19-06, 05:45 PM
what is a good value between 0-100 for both sharpening and denoising to use with the nvidia driver on a dvd source, dvi-hdmi on a 40 inch plasma HD tv?

For film-based DVD (Hollywood movies), the quality is already good so you would need less enhancement. I'd say sharpening around 25% and noise around 10%. You would need more enhancement for video-based DVD such as full-season tv shows released in DVD format.

If you want the absolute best image qaulity, you'll want to resize and clean-up the source via ffdshow, as others have mentioned.

ASUSEN7900GTX
12-21-06, 12:29 PM
i have one question about purevideo is it only a decoder with no settings att all available or is it somewhere in the nvidia CP

i really canīt get a grip on how this is supposed to work.

and in PowerDVD it sais it use purevideo but i canīt see any difference between XVid DVD or different DVD movies

so some guidence would probably help

:D

harshw
12-21-06, 12:44 PM
i have one question about purevideo is it only a decoder with no settings att all available or is it somewhere in the nvidia CP

i really canīt get a grip on how this is supposed to work.

and in PowerDVD it sais it use purevideo but i canīt see any difference between XVid DVD or different DVD movies

so some guidence would probably help

:D

The latest Forceware drivers are called 'PureVideo' - these accelerate MPEG-2/4, WMV-HD and H.264 decoding

Nvidia also sells the Purevideo Decoder. This is a MPEG-2 only ( Correct me if I am wrong ) decoder that is used for decoding and playing back DVDs.

You do not need the Purevideo decoder if you have PowerDVD/WinDVD ( In fact, Purevideo MPEG2 decoder will work even without an Nvidia card). When using PowerDVD, it can use hardware acceleration that is present in the ForceWare drivers. To configure forceware, use the new control panel and change settings in 'Video and Television' -> 'Adjust Video Colour Settings' -> Enhancements ( Sharpness, Noise Reduction and Inverse Telecine )

If using the PureVideo MPEG2 decoder, the control panel is visible in the taskbar whenever you are playing a DVD using the decoder ( PowerDVD will not use it ) for example, using Windows Media Player or the Nvidia Media Center utility ( IIRC nstantmedia.exe something ). You can change settings there from the taskbar icon. Alternatively, using MediaPlayerClassic or ZoomPlayer, you can add Nvidia DVD Decoder as an external filter and change the configuration of the decoder from the program