PDA

View Full Version : I switched to 8800GTS from ATI

vgame64
12-18-06, 02:17 PM
Since Late December 05 I have been using an ATI Radeon X1800XT 512MB. I decided that it is becoming a little slow in some games at 1920x1080 so with that, and wanting DX10 hardware (even though the drivers and the games for it are a long way off), I purchased an XFX 8800GTS.
I am about to install it, but would like to know what I should do on my computer first.
The steps I am considering taking are:
Uninstall all ATI software->Restart->Run Driver Cleaner Pro->Turn off and remove ATI card->Install 8800GTS->Download and Install latest Forceware for my card->Restart.

Should these steps be fine, or would you suggest otherwise?

I hope this video card makes gaming slightly faster...though I am going to need to swap my A64 4000+@2.7GHz soon for one of those quad core Intel chips. And that means a new mobo, ram, and power supply. So I will hold off on that for a few months.

Thanks for the help!

OWA
12-18-06, 02:22 PM
Yeah, those are the steps I'd take and normally that will work just fine.

fatal1ty
12-18-06, 02:40 PM
I reinstall windows. I'd prefer to get the best out of my video card and Driver Cleaner doesnt work right for me. It deletes too much and I have nothing but problems after running it. If anything, I'd run the Catalyst uninstaller - reboot and install the NV drivers, less destructive to the registry anyways.

OWA
12-18-06, 02:42 PM
Driver Cleaner does that to me if I use it to remove Nvidia stuff but it seems okay when I use it for cleaning ATI hardware. I agree though, a complete reinstall is best but a lot of people don't want to go through that much trouble.

tweaked
12-18-06, 02:50 PM
Rated for likely hood from best performance from the new video card to worst, 1 being best.

1. Wipe Windows, reinstall everything.
2. Driver clean old drivers off, install new windows over old.
3. Driver cleaner.
4. Uninstall old drivers.

Normally # 3 is enough, and unlike fatal1ty I've never had a problem using DC.

you can pretty much go through the list in reverse order.

do #4 and if it doesn't perform well do #3, if it doesn't perform well do #2, etc.

vgame64
12-18-06, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I probably won't reformat and reinstall Windows as I have too much important stuff on my computer, and do not want to back it up.

I will end up Driver Cleaning for now and reformatting down the line.

I hope the card rocks! :captnkill:

Burnt_Ram
12-18-06, 07:40 PM
1) run cab cleaner in safemode, and then driver cleaner.

2) run some benchmarks and if your not performing in the ballpark. format :(

Redeemed
12-18-06, 07:56 PM
Okay, vgame64, I own and am running two 8800GTSs right now. The CPU? A s754 3400 (soon as I get my new PSU it'll be a s754 3700 @ 3GHz) with 2GB DDR500. Now, for a game like Oblivion my CPU would be a major bottleneck. But for most any other games I can play them with everything maxed- and I usually get framerates at or around 60fps. Granted, that is with two GTSs, but considering the CPU I'm using that is far from terrible.

With your CPU, I'm sure the performance will straight up rock. You should be both very impressed and amazed.

therapture
12-18-06, 10:15 PM
Formatting and reinstalling windows just for a new video card is flat out ridiculous. Uninstalling the old driver, running driver cleaner, and reinstalling the new drivers with reboots between each step is as good as you are going to get. Especially on a windows install that is less than a year old.

Do it right, you should not have trouble.

vgame64
12-18-06, 10:45 PM
I have finished installing it, and it is pretty nice. I have not run any benchmarks, but may run 3dmark06 on it later.

The only games I have installed are AOE3-warchiefs, BF2142, and FEAR combat. (This is due to a recent format. ) These all ran fine on the previous card. Warchiefs improved to the point of no mouse lag.

I tried out the nVdia 8800 tech demos, and Adrianne looks nice.

I will install Oblivion once I find the DVD.

Beyond that, I am downloading the Gothic 3 demo, Warhammer demo, and Ceaser IV demo.

Does an alternative to ATI's Aviivo video converter exist? I remember something called Purevideo...

Thanks...its nice being back to nVidia after my last card (a 5200 (for a while I had a 5700 Ultra), then I got 9800Pro->9800XT->X800XT AIW->X1800XT).

SH0DAN
12-18-06, 11:22 PM
Enjoy your GTS,I love mine,at stock its damn fast,blows my Asus EN7800GT
right out of the water!

LoneWolf15
12-19-06, 04:07 PM
I previously had a Sapphire Radeon X1800GTO2 512MB (yes, I know most people haven't heard of them, it's a rare low-clocked X1800XT that Sapphire only made a few of). When I went to an 8800GTS, I just uninstalled the Catalyst drivers with ATI's driver uninstall (I didn't use the Catalyst uninstaller, which would have removed my ATI MMC software for my TV Wonder PCI), rebooted, installed the nVidia drivers, rebooted again. It works just fine.

einstein_314
12-19-06, 04:26 PM
Formatting and reinstalling windows just for a new video card is flat out ridiculous. Uninstalling the old driver, running driver cleaner, and reinstalling the new drivers with reboots between each step is as good as you are going to get. Especially on a windows install that is less than a year old.

QFT

stncttr908
12-19-06, 04:33 PM

I agree. When I slapped in my 6800GT after running a 9800 Pro I reinstalled only because my system was due for a clean format.

LORD-eX-Bu
12-19-06, 04:47 PM
I switched from 1900 XTX to 8800 GTS.. all I did was uninstall catalyst drivers and atitool from my computer... ran driver cleaner and removed all ATI, then when I restarted I installed the forceware drivers and its been running great ever since. Didn't think I'd see such a huge jump in performance from my previous card but I am extremely satisfied with it:D

Can't wait for my e6700 to get here on friday:lol:

Monolyth
12-19-06, 04:58 PM
I installed my 8800GTX over the weekend, went from X1950 X-Fire Ed. All I did was run ATI uninstall util, reboot, shutdown, insert 8800GTX, bootup & install latest nV drivers.

No issues thus far, very smooth in games.

HeavyH20
12-19-06, 05:18 PM

Definitely agreed. I have had the same intall of Windows and switched back and forth between nvidia cards and ATI with no issues. So, went from an AMD based 7800 GTX SLI to x1900XTX to wait for the 7900 GTX cards to arrive, then once the 7950GX2 Step Up was underway, I used an X1800XT as the temp card, and now I am on 8800 GTX with a C2D Quad on the same install of Windows. No problems here.