PDA

View Full Version : "Purevideo" did you guys know this?

mullet
12-18-06, 04:45 PM
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/12/18/ati-avivo-and-nvidia-purevideo-dissected/page2.html

I stress this point because I think that many readers would otherwise assume that the advertised benefits of Purevideo automatically come with their GeForce card. I know I did. So if you're buying a GeForce card for the Purevideo DVD playback enhancements, don't forget the extra expense you're going to have to pay for the decoder to get it to work well.

The worst part is many DVD decoders include a software pulldown detection, but once hardware acceleration is enabled this will be turned off. This was the case with Cyberlink's PowerDVD, which had a nice basic 3:2 pulldown detection built into the player. Once we enabled hardware acceleration for our Nvidia card, this software pulldown detection was turned off when control was handed to the hardware.

Even if the Purevideo decoder is purchased it doesn't seem compatible with some players. Once we installed the decoder, it made no difference in our copy of PowerDVD. So to get pulldown detection to work we had to use Windows Media Player, which isn't our first choice for watching DVDs. If you like PowerDVD and you want Purevideo enabled, you're out of luck.

Regardless, Nvidia should step up to the plate and provide the basic version to GeForce owners for free. ATI card owners pay nothing extra for pulldown detection, so this is a notable mark against Purevideo in this regard.

walterman
12-18-06, 05:27 PM
Worst problem with Purevideo is the H264 compatibility. It uses to hang when the stream resolution is different from 1920x1080, and nearly all new european HDTV channels uses 1440x1088 +-

DSC
12-18-06, 05:43 PM
http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo.html

PowerDVD doesn't use the Purevideo Decoder(the separate decoder sold by Nvidia). It does use the Purevideo features on the Geforce GPUs for hardware acceleration in its own decoder..

The article doesn't even know what it's talking about. You don't have to buy the Purevideo decoder if PowerDVD/WinDVD supports the pulldown features of Purevideo. It also doesn't state which drivers is being used for the Nvidia cards, recent drivers added the pulldown support and other features for all DVD decoders be it from PowerDVD or WinDVD, not just the Purevideo decoder.

DarkJedi664
12-18-06, 05:44 PM
Besides the 8800 issues with PureVideo, I have had not a single problem with PureVideo at all. And who the hell watches DVD's now in the age of HD? I know I sure as hell don't, too low res for me!

DSC
12-18-06, 05:58 PM
http://www.behardware.com/articles/635-2/ati-nvidia-corrigent-fourmillement-lcd-films.html

Better article for everyone to read. Not fully related, but you can see Purevideo does have Edge Enhancement and Noise Reduction features, but the THG article says it doesn't. Way to go there.

mullet
12-18-06, 05:58 PM
http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo.html

PowerDVD doesn't use the Purevideo Decoder(the separate decoder sold by Nvidia). It does use the Purevideo features on the Geforce GPUs for hardware acceleration in its own decoder..

The article doesn't even know what it's talking about. You don't have to buy the Purevideo decoder if PowerDVD/WinDVD supports the pulldown features of Purevideo. It also doesn't state which drivers is being used for the Nvidia cards, recent drivers added the pulldown support and other features for all DVD decoders be it from PowerDVD or WinDVD, not just the Purevideo decoder.

The pulldown detection can be enabled in the ATI CCC the purevideo pulldown option will not work with poweredvd at all. The pulldown feature your talking about in poeeredvd is software mode not hardware mode? I read the whole article and I was enlightened on a few thing I didn't even know existed. After enabling the pulldown detection in the ATI CCC panel and then played a dvd I was amazed on how nice and smooth it played with powerdvd.

mullet
12-18-06, 05:59 PM
http://www.behardware.com/articles/635-2/ati-nvidia-corrigent-fourmillement-lcd-films.html

Better article for everyone to read. Not fully related, but you can see Purevideo does have Edge Enhancement and Noise Reduction features, but the THG article says it doesn't. Way to go there.

Thanks for the link ill read more.

DSC
12-18-06, 06:04 PM
If you have the latest drivers, the latest PowerDVD version and you see the driver release notes, it does support pulldown feature in any decoder.

Video
Release 90 includes the following new PureVideo features and improvements:
Video Processing Improvements
Release 90 includes several PureVideo technology improvements1:
Added noise reduction post processing
Added image sharpening post processing
Improved inverse telecine algorithm
Improved de-interlacing algorithm
Improved compatibility with third party MPEG-2 decoders

Without knowing which drivers THG used, it's impossible to know what they were doing when it comes to the tests. Great going there again.

DSC
12-18-06, 06:11 PM
http://www.hardware.info/en-UK/articles/am9nY2pqZA/ATI_and_nVidia_crush_highend_DVD_players/17

Purevideo scores 123 in HQV(same benchmark used in the THG article). Clearly 1 site knows what it's doing, the other don't when it says Purevideo only achieved 55.

We have redone our HQV testing with the latest 91.47 ForceWare drivers and deinterlacing set to Automatic on our test system with a GeForce 7900 GTX videocard. And indeed, nVidia now passes all cadence tests with flying colors, resulting in a 30 point gain and a total score of 123 HQV points. This is five point ahead of ATI, thanks to nVidia's superiour image sharpening algorithms which is currently the only point of difference between ATI and nVidia in the HQV benchmark

nVidia also told us that with 90-series drivers, it's no longer necessary to use nVidia's own PureVideo MPEG2 decoder to obtain the highest image quality. Third party software like Cyberlink's PowerDVD en Intervideo's WinDVD can also take full advantage of the hardware capabilities of the nVidia chips, as long as hardware acceleration is enabled in those programs.

mullet
12-18-06, 06:32 PM
ok thanks man. NICE!

SLippe
12-18-06, 06:40 PM
I always disable Hardware Acceleration, because the DVD plays worse with it than without it. And I have 91.47 and latest Purevideo.

AdmiralHalsey..
12-18-06, 07:26 PM
Yeah, the quality was always bad compared to software with cpu decoding, which scores near perfect or perfect in HQV test. I'm fine with my cpu doing the work anyway, I don't run many programs while watching dvds, so its not an issue.