PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Vista final release will still reduce our game performance...

sillyeagle
12-18-06, 08:14 PM
After reading this quote from the Developers of FSX, it seems to me Vista is going to reduce performance accross the board, unless I am reading him wrong.

http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2006/11/30/fsx-today-and-tomorrow.aspx

Note: there are threads out there talking about Vista overhead causing a net reduction in frame rates. The same thing was said about XP vs Win98. Vista offers real benefits as XP did back then. Benefits are not free, they cost something. Over time the “Vista effect” on FPS will be diminished. And the benefits in day-to-day running of the OS will amortize themselves, where they are harder to see on day one. So while there is some truth in these threads in relative terms, in absolute terms I don’t see the issue as critical to this discussion.

shinrai
12-18-06, 09:07 PM
I remember all the complaints about loss of FPS going from 98 to XP and when XP launched, none of anyones concerns eventuated. MS had XP's speed running within 1-2 frames better or worse than the same games running in 98. I have seen no real reason to believe that the same won't occur this time.

It will be bad for vista's launch amongst gamers if vista did run slower by even 10%.

agentkay
12-18-06, 09:18 PM
I will keep XP on one drive for a reason. ;)

hirantha
12-18-06, 09:31 PM
I think Vista will be eating too much of system resources unless you disable those unwanted services it sure will slow down things then again I could be wrong..

nekrosoft13
12-18-06, 10:08 PM
wow and this is news?

are you people really suprised? I never knew that it would take a genius to figure that out.

pakotlar
12-18-06, 10:33 PM
wow and this is news?

are you people really suprised? I never knew that it would take a genius to figure that out.

what a brilliant joke.

neways, i have vista rtm, and it rocks. i don't care about pc games anymore, thats what my x360 is for :D

nekrosoft13
12-18-06, 10:46 PM
i use my xbox as a paper weight, serves its purpose

jAkUp
12-18-06, 11:04 PM
what a brilliant joke.

neways, i have vista rtm, and it rocks. i don't care about pc games anymore, thats what my x360 is for :D

Your XB360 is for PC Games? Thats a new one.

Mr_LoL
12-18-06, 11:43 PM
Your XB360 is for PC Games? Thats a new one.
I think he meant he doesnt play pc games anymore :o

Nitz Walsh
12-19-06, 12:38 AM
I think he meant he doesnt play pc games anymore :o
I'm pretty sure he knows that, he was mocking the phrasing of the sentence.

jAkUp
12-19-06, 12:44 AM
I'm pretty sure he knows that, he was mocking the phrasing of the sentence.

:D

nutcrackr
12-19-06, 12:52 AM
From the beta 2 and RC1 benchmarks I expect to see some reductions in performances but not for all games. If they somehow manage to get within 5-10% then it's no big issue but the framerate losses are in the realm of 30% for some games on Vista.

Banko
12-19-06, 01:15 AM
Well I'm running Vista Final (dual booting it), and the only thing that seems to be slowing down games is no good drivers from NVIDIA and ATI.

It's not even a resource hog, it is only using 100mb more then my XP setup.

XxDeadlyxX
12-19-06, 02:38 AM
Same dual boot here, yeah performance on 97.46 is still way down from any XP set. However, I'm not 100% sure its the driver itself, as I'm also using the Creative RC1 drivers, which are really bad... ie, in almost all games there is massive static/stuttering sound (unbearable), no matter if its set to stereo or 5.1. Oddly, this was not present in the Beta 2 drivers. I cant use them anymore though, as they expired. This set expire in January as well, so hopefully Creative will release a new set before the expiry date. So I'm not sure if this issue has any impact in performance at all.

Also with the Vista drivers including 97.46, I cant set AA modes for D3D in the CP, which is a limitation of the drivers thus far. In XP, I always found the 2xQ (Quincuxx?) AA to appear the smoothest, and I prefer how it feels and looks compared to regular 2x or 4x. So therefore in Vista I cant use this mode. In Source for example, you can manually set normal AA modes in the options, but not 2xQ.

Lastly, Vsync seems to have issues. Even when it is at the 60fps limit or a few fps below, it 'appears' as though it is way lower (<40). It's difficult to describe. Also fps hovers around 30-40 most of the time anyway, whereas XP it rarely dropped a beat from 60 (ultra smooth). There is still minor tearing when Vsync is enabled in Vista as well, although that may just be a bug with 97.46 as I think it was better in previous releases.

Oh well, at least Digital Vibrance is confirmed in Vista (works in 97.46 :) ).

It would be nice if nVidia/Creative/ATI releases good working sets before January 30th, but if they dont then I guess its because they dont want to release more limited functionality drivers.

But if we still dont have good drivers after January 30th, that will suck hard. :(

UDawg
12-19-06, 02:58 AM
wow and this is news?

This is a FANTASTIC post! I'm sure glad they let just anyone on the internetz.

nekrosoft13
12-19-06, 08:09 AM
you should be glad, how else would they let you in

CaptNKILL
12-19-06, 12:40 PM
you should be glad, how else would they let you in
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo

:D

ynnek
12-22-06, 12:53 AM
I haven't used it yet, but if the reports are true, and nder Aero there's finally no more redraw "artifacts" when moving the windows around and the ugly "frozen window no redraw" effect, then I will be glad to switch to Vista when it hits mainstream in 2007.

einstein_314
12-22-06, 01:09 AM
I haven't used it yet, but if the reports are true, and nder Aero there's finally no more redraw "artifacts" when moving the windows around and the ugly "frozen window no redraw" effect, then I will be glad to switch to Vista when it hits mainstream in 2007.
Not sure what you're referring to...I've been using Vista since Beta 2 (beta 2, RC1 and now RC2)...and I have never seen said "artifacts" and "frozen window no redraw".

ynnek
12-22-06, 02:09 AM
Not sure what you're referring to...I've been using Vista since Beta 2 (beta 2, RC1 and now RC2)...and I have never seen said "artifacts" and "frozen window no redraw".

Thats awesome, cause what I'm referring to is the way the current version of Windows(before Vista) handles redraws, moves, resizes, and frozen windows. So Vista Aero does fix that. :) Sorry, about the confusion.

And under Vista Aero, are those actions finally fully hardware accelerated? Under Windows XP, if you drag a window around your screen, you'll notice the CPU usage spikes up while you move it around.

LycosV
12-22-06, 02:58 AM
And under Vista Aero, are those actions finally fully hardware accelerated? Under Windows XP, if you drag a window around your screen, you'll notice the CPU usage spikes up while you move it around.

Yeah, the whole GUI is using GPU power now. No more frozen windows or CPU dips. I don't see a noticable change in cpu no matter what I do with the windows. If a program isn't responding you get a kind of stuck window now but it's actually what the window should display, just grey colored and with "not responding" in the bar. Much better than carrying over another window's contents just because it can't access it's paint funtion.