PDA

View Full Version : New NeverWinter Nights 1 Premium Module - Wyvern Crown of Cormyr

ynnek
12-19-06, 11:32 AM
To my surprise, there is a new NWN1 Premium Module

http://store.bioware.com/products/wyverncrown.html

It actually sounds pretty good.

Rideable horses and cloaks and jackets.

ynnek
12-24-06, 05:13 PM
I got it for $10, and just started playing it.. Its pretty good.. They took the time for the little things, like adding lots of options to use your persudae/intimadate/bluff feats to get information out of people, or to unlock certain things. It appears to be a low magic area too, which I like personally.

Combat's even a little challenging.. (under hardcore) I can't get through the first fight with bandits with my fighter/rouge without dying once.. and I can't seem to win the fighting challenge either.. Not surprising since my build doesn't come alive until I get improved two weapon fighting, and even then, not a lot of hitpoints either.

The horses and jousting part is okay. I like having my warhorse around as an extra meat shield and pack mule.. There's an extra ride skill now that affects combat on horses.

Story line is just warming up for me, but seems promising.

They say its about 20 hours of playtime.

nekrosoft13
12-24-06, 05:37 PM
i might actually get it, it looks good

superklye
12-25-06, 12:28 AM
You know, looking at the screenshots, it's pretty sad that NWN2 doesn't look markedly different from NWN. :(

nekrosoft13
12-25-06, 01:36 AM
you really need to get your eyes checked

ynnek
12-25-06, 03:50 AM
Lol!

Yea, there is a world of a difference. Character models itself are soo much better in NWN2, in poly's and textures. The buildings and tileset/textures look much better in NWN2... There's alot more detail in the look of the "furniture" too. Bloom effects.. Fancier magic effects.. Play them side by side and its pretty obvious. Also, NWN2 got a performance boost with the 1.03 patch.. Too bad they didn't include that at launch, cause the game would have gotten such a better review.

That being said, this Wyvern Crown module is really nicely done. I have to say so far its one of the best modules I've played so far. I won't give anything away, but you know why? Cause a quest has actually stumped me for the first time in NWN! It wasn't till I read through a walkthrough on that quest that I realize what I have to do, simply because you aren't "hand-held/lead through" it.. Thats all I'm going to say about it.

You also have to be careful on conversations a bit more on this one too. They actually bring different results, sometimes subtle.. I read a walkthrough on another quest that I already did, and realized, crap, I missed another aspect of it too... Sneaky writers. :)

superklye
12-25-06, 12:09 PM
I didn't say they didn't look different, I said "markedly" meaning substatially. It looks like they just took the existing engine, slapped bump mapping and higher-res textures on everything.

From initial screenshots of 2, I was really impressed with how it looked but I don't think the final product was indicative of that at all.

ynnek
12-26-06, 12:13 AM
I didn't say they didn't look different, I said "markedly" meaning substatially. It looks like they just took the existing engine, slapped bump mapping and higher-res textures on everything.

From initial screenshots of 2, I was really impressed with how it looked but I don't think the final product was indicative of that at all.

Playing both of them, I totally disagree with you 100% :)

ynnek
01-02-07, 01:55 PM
I finished it with my 4 fighter and uh, 9 rogue multiclass'd chaotic neutral human.

Overall, I still had a great time playing this module.. It has a decent depth to all the choices, and liked how the social skills such as persuade, bluff, intimidate were useful. It was well worth the $10.. I say i probably spent at least 30-40 hours.

*VERY MINOR POSSIBLE SPOILER TALK ABOUT THE ENDING, (NO PLOT INFO GIVEN IN THIS POST)*

The ending IMO was a bit disappointing.. A bit, "short". The last battle was a bit easier than I thought it would be (although good thing I stacked up on cure critical potions!) It felt like they were going to give cutscenes on the "future" based on the decisions you made.. but never really did..

The game told me I uncovered 74% of the quests/plots.