PDA

View Full Version : GameSpy PC Games of the Year

CaptNKILL
12-19-06, 12:13 PM
http://goty.gamespy.com/2006/

Not a bad list. At least they mixed it up a bit by using games from different genres.

I was pleasantly surprised at the "Level Of the Year" award going to Call of Cthulhu's "Hotel Escape". It was a pretty difficult and frustrating level (lots of trial and error... the whole game is probably better on the second play through) but it was by far the most engaging and intense level I've ever played in a game. Obviously it must be something if I remember that level specifically out of all the games I've played this year.

hirantha
12-19-06, 12:18 PM
A fair PC top 10 list! Good work Spy!

OWA
12-19-06, 12:19 PM
Hmm, I only have 2 games from the top ten (GTR 2 and Oblivion). The list is mostly made up of games that I don't play (genre, that is).

Edit: Heh, doesn't seem like they liked Gothic 3 very much. :)

MaXThReAT
12-19-06, 01:35 PM
Hmm I never picked up Cthulhu or Dreamfall. I've always heard good things about Cthulhu. I've got some extra $$$ you guys think I should pick up Cthulhu or Dreamfall or both?

CaptNKILL
12-19-06, 02:06 PM
Hmm I never picked up Cthulhu or Dreamfall. I've always heard good things about Cthulhu. I've got some extra $$$ you guys think I should pick up Cthulhu or Dreamfall or both?
I'd pick up Cthulhu. :)

Dreamfall is good but it isnt very long and you really have to play the first one for a lot of it to make sense. I really wish they had made it a bit longer or started on the next game in the series immediately. Its a good game but for how deep the first one was, not enough happened in Dreamfall to really justify the 7 year gap between releases. I guess they don't plan on putting out a 3rd game any sooner than that either... :(

stncttr908
12-19-06, 02:17 PM
I read this list earlier myself. It's quite balanced, and they show their disdain for the latest round of follies by both EA and Ubi in their "We hate first day patches" rant. :D

SH64
12-19-06, 03:41 PM
Decent list if considering the top 2 .. but HL:Ep1 being in 3rd place is just a joke. its barely an expansion & very short one at that.

johnkeel105
12-19-06, 04:03 PM
I am going to have to buy Company of Heroes eventually. Many of my clan members even told me it was good. From the demo I can tell that it is Game of the Year quality tho.

adv1
12-20-06, 06:52 AM
Of those top 10 PC games of 2006 the only games I actually bought were HL2: Episode 1 and Lego Star Wars II.

To be honest the others on the list don't interest me and I've never even heard of Space Rangers 2 (!)

The list highlights how few really good action and FPS games were released in 2006 :( Hopefully 2007 will be better with the likes of Crysis, UT2007, Quake Wars, Episode 2 etc.

Stoneyguy
12-20-06, 07:27 AM
Dark Crusade FTW!!
Gal Civ 2 was fun, but to similar to Gal Civ 1.
Playing thru NeverWinter Nights now... bit buggy but fun.
Space Rangers 2 was awesome.. until Starforce protection started messing up my system. :(

Tork64
12-20-06, 09:48 AM
Company of Heroes owned, I bet relic is proud.