PDA

View Full Version : 8800's

derdeutscha
12-19-06, 01:08 PM
How close do you think the 8800's can get to the CGI-like movies made for games? We know it now supports motion blur, depth of field and CGI-like smoke along with 16x aa and 16x af.

I mean the old 6 and 7 series could run the ATI demos which were beautiful! The 8800 is supposed to be like 5x better so when I look at game graphics like the upcoming WoW I am just thouroughly disappointed because the 8800 could do so much more.

SH64
12-19-06, 03:46 PM
CGI & real games are quite different.
we are still far away from CGI-like movies if thats what you want even when the R600 comes.
you have to keep your expectations balanced.

nekrosoft13
12-21-06, 07:31 AM
keep in mind when they make CGI movies, its not in real time, its done on huge computer farms (group of computers) over a rather long period of time

Toss3
12-21-06, 10:52 AM
keep in mind when they make CGI movies, its not in real time, its done on huge computer farms (group of computers) over a rather long period of time
You can't really compare the two since one only stresses the cpu(rendering requires ****loads of cpu power) while the other is based on your whole comp.

jolle
12-21-06, 11:34 AM
You can't really compare the two since one only stresses the cpu(rendering requires ****loads of cpu power) while the other is based on your whole comp.
I think the stated fact that one is realtime and one isnt is enough to tell anyone you cant compare them. Besides there are GPU assisted rendering packages like Gelato out there..
Its not uncomon for CG movies to spend several hours per frame, and that is on very highend rendering farms, that alone speaks volumes on how different games and CG movies are approached.
CG tries to mimic reality by faking alot of things, while games try to mimic CG rendering capabilities by faking as much as possible.

Working alot with Maya Im really hoping that Mental ray or other renderers can be written in CUDA and run on G80 hardware (or any other DX10 hardware for that matter).
It feels like 128 SPs @ 1.35Ghz should be able to outperform even quad cores at this type of task, provided the SPs are versitile enough, otherwise atleast provide a heavy offload on offline renderers.
And with the GPU capabilities in Vista to address both System RAM and even HD for virtual memory, the amount of onboard RAM shouldnt be a limit for this type of application.
If that happens, you could put together a real rendering monster with SLI or even quad SLI G80/R600 and a Quad core CPU.
Expensive yes, but it could prolly offer a huge boost in performance/price for smaller studios, and bigger ones aswell I suppose.