PDA

View Full Version : Will my 7950GX2 work with the ASUS P5B Mobo?

Princess_Frosty
12-19-06, 02:20 PM
I see Nvidia lists several of the P5B spin offs (the deluxe, SLI etc) as working with this video card but nothing about the P5B itself, does anyone have an experience with this card working on the P5B original mobo?

Thanks for any help!

SH0DAN
12-19-06, 05:07 PM
Yes,but you will have to flash to the latest bios,as its likely the bios that ships with the mobo does not out of the box.And yes I am talking about the plain old P5B,not the deluxe or wifi version. :)

SH0DAN
12-19-06, 06:11 PM
The BETA 0706 have the following description...http://support.asus.com/download/dow...Language=en-us

Quote:P5B Deluxe Beta BIOS version 0706

1 Enhance CrossFire performance.
2 Enable NVIDIA 7950GX2 display
3 Fix CPU frequency not correct when use ES CPU and lock free fuction
enable
4 Fix memory display message not correct under multi-language
5 Add Kentsfield B3 uCode

SH0DAN
12-20-06, 01:35 PM
Just to be sure I emailed Asus's,and was told yes.Not that I trust them,as they have given me bogus info before upon making technical enquires over
email with them.But take it for what its worth.I would grab a 8800GTS unless you already have the GX2 of course...

fatal1ty
12-20-06, 05:34 PM
I had no problems with the p5b-e and the 7950 GX2. Was using older BIOS and it was still working fine.

Princess_Frosty
12-22-06, 06:12 AM
BRILLIANT, thanks!

I've actually got this kit now, I already owned the 7950GX2 but orded the motherboard the other day, funnily enough I am actually having problems booting but I suspect thats memory related, loads of people have said that the faster OCZ memory makes the boart not even post (hopefuly I can fix that)

One of the later P5B-E BIOS's actually lists this fix:

"6. Enable support for NVIDIA 7950GX2 cards under recovery mode"

I'm assuming that this means that they were previously working in "normal mode" since there's no listed fix for it in any of the BIOS's

Anyhow fingers crossed for tonight, maybe this 256mb stick of generic 533Mhz will allow me to at least post so I can flash the mobo