PDA

View Full Version : how the heck do you fly in FSX

derdeutscha
12-19-06, 04:22 PM
I look at the controls for the plane and they are all over the keyboard its rediculous, is there a way to learn the basics of flying? I just have the demo and when I go I end up spinning in circles and crashing into the ocean.

de><ta
12-19-06, 04:57 PM
Joystick and keyboard. If you use keyboard only, its going to be real tough.

OWA
12-19-06, 05:11 PM
I use the X-52 or a gamepad to fly it.

tacos4me
12-19-06, 05:12 PM
Well it IS a simulator. I wouldn't expect the real thing to be too simple either. :p But yeah, definitely need a joystick for a flight simulator.

sillyeagle
12-19-06, 05:32 PM
Sounds like you are using a keyboard. Buy a cheap joystick and you should be fine. You don't even need any of those key to fly really. Just know where your throttle is(F1-F4), your gear(G), and your flaps(F5-F8). The rest is just driving your plane around with the joystick. Don't worry about the rest until you know how to fly and land.

nV`andrew
12-19-06, 05:39 PM
yeah lol i need to get a joystick

derdeutscha
12-19-06, 06:01 PM
Im just wondering why you can't use a mouse

I like flying my BF2 jets with my mouse :-)

yeah lol i need to get a joystick

de><ta
12-19-06, 10:50 PM
Your mouse only has two dimensions of control, with a joystick you get 3 (rudder/twist control). Also makes it a lot more fun.

If you have the x-52 you can map most of the inputs onto the joystick and keep switching modes as you fly. I have two joysticks, the x-52 that I use for sims and a top-gun that I use for bf2 and those likes.

einstein_314
12-20-06, 12:03 AM
Im just wondering why you can't use a mouse

I like flying my BF2 jets with my mouse :-)
Well, BF2 is a game, FSX is a simulator. You NEED a joystick. Once you get a joystick, do some of the flying lessons to learn the basics of flight and what the controls are.

nV`andrew
12-20-06, 12:15 AM
yeah im not too bad with a mouse on bf2, i like it especially in choppers.

SJA06
12-20-06, 01:19 PM
FSX work brilliantly with 'mouse yoke' - I find it very sensitive and easy to use, with the mouse wheel as a throttle.

To give it a try, start a flight, then right click with the cursor over outside view (window) and select mouse yoke at the bottom.

It may take a little while to get used to it, but I wouldn't fly any other way now.

Mr_LoL
12-20-06, 01:25 PM
I need to figure out how to do Ils landings. I cant seem to find any tutorials on the subject. The manual suck.

de><ta
12-20-06, 04:05 PM
I have found that the speeds and maximum decent angles that you need to take into consideration when landing are different for each plane. :o

einstein_314
12-20-06, 11:41 PM
I need to figure out how to do Ils landings. I cant seem to find any tutorials on the subject. The manual suck.
Isn't there a lesson on that? i think there is...maybe not though. I know there was a lesson on it in my FS2000 manual.

I have found that the speeds and maximum decent angles that you need to take into consideration when landing are different for each plane.

They sure are. Every plane has a different landing speed/optimum angle of descent.