PDA

View Full Version : Noobish networking Questions

K1ngK1llAll
12-19-06, 09:45 PM
OK I know this is probably lame but I don't get the point of having dual gigabit ethernet ports on the motherboard? Why would you want two??
I'm setting up a network with just two computers and was wondering if one of them just goes directly to the other computer or what?? I also want them to be able to share files and the printer.

Inf1n1tyComplex
12-19-06, 09:54 PM
OK I know this is probably lame but I don't get the point of having dual gigabit ethernet ports on the motherboard? Why would you want two??
I'm setting up a network with just two computers and was wondering if one of them just goes directly to the other computer or what?? I also want them to be able to share files and the printer.
http://www.nvidia.com/content/nforce600i/nforce600i_module.html
Click on dualnet and read...

Roadhog
12-19-06, 10:07 PM

Well you can either get a hub, or a crossover cable. One of the ports will go to the other computer, and the other one will be for your internet.

K1ngK1llAll
12-19-06, 10:27 PM
Now is this better than using a router with just one port??

Roadhog
12-19-06, 10:31 PM
Now is this better than using a router with just one port??

yeah.

K1ngK1llAll
12-19-06, 10:40 PM
OK so let me get this right ......cable to modem, modem to (Main) computer (ethernet) using ethernet port 1, and then (Main) computer to (Other computer) (ethernet) using ethernet port 2???

Roadhog
12-19-06, 10:45 PM
OK so let me get this right ......cable to modem, modem to (Main) computer (ethernet) using ethernet port 1, and then (Main) computer to (Other computer) (ethernet) using ethernet port 2???

yep. make sure you use a crossover cable :P

K1ngK1llAll
12-19-06, 11:12 PM
OK ...and that crossover goes from where to where?? and why is that needed??
Sorry bout all the stupid questions also:o . Just trying to get educated on this. Especially since I bought a router from newegg already. Ooops

K1ngK1llAll
12-19-06, 11:37 PM
Another question .......If I have this hooked up this way does that mean I have to have the (Main) computer on; so the other one can access the internet??

evilchris
12-20-06, 12:53 AM

Do not hook your PC directly to your cable "modem". You need an SPI firewall in between the two. Bull**** softwalls don't count.

Roadhog
12-20-06, 12:54 AM
Do not hook your PC directly to your cable "modem". You need an SPI firewall in between the two. Bull**** softwalls don't count.

he said he bought a router.

evilchris
12-20-06, 12:55 AM
he said he bought a router.

He asked you if he should hook his PC directly to his cable modem. You replied "yep".

Next, he said "oops" regarding buying a router.

K1ngK1llAll
12-20-06, 02:29 AM
at any rate... I think I'm going to try the router method since I already bought it prior to these posts. Now do I hook up both ethernet ports 1&2 to the routers 1&2 inputs so that I can use dualnet with teaming??