PDA

View Full Version : The Classics

saturnotaku
12-19-06, 10:41 PM
Since my fiance moved to a laptop, I've hooked up her old machine to my KVM and dusted off my Windows 98SE install CD for a little retro romp action. It took a bit of digging, but I did find drivers for all the necessary hardware for this system (P4 1.5, 512 RAM, 20 GB HD, GeForce FX 5700). It runs pretty well overall once the OS has been fully updated and tweaked. While a good many of the games I have run just fine on XP, I plan on playing these on the retro machine.

Need for Speed: All games through High Stakes. Porsche Unleashed doesn't work, which is odd because 98 is the OS that it was designed to run on. It's probably a conflict between the GeForce, DirectX 9, and Win 98. I've read of others with the same problem. It's not a huge deal because PU runs perfectly fine on XP.

Unreal Gold: Tough to argue with a classic. I still can't get over how incredibly long the game is.

Oni: It runs better on XP, but I think it really belongs on a machine like this.

Carmageddon 2: I bought a Sidewinder Game Pad off Fleabay just for this one. I don't need to worry about Glide wrappers and 3rd-party drivers for my X360 controller on XP.

Shogo: Would I be wrong to call this one the most underrated, underappreciated game of all time? To be so good, but so unloved was a crime.

Those are all the ones I have for now. I'm off work tomorrow and Thursday so I figured this would be a fun time for a retro kick to complement the playing of Shenmue 2 on the 360. :D

LORD-eX-Bu
12-19-06, 11:32 PM
Oni was an awesome game... we need a sequel:D

Arioch
12-20-06, 01:38 AM
Deus Ex maybe.

vandalous
12-20-06, 02:01 AM
Mmm, I loved Shogo.

Giant: Citizen Kabuto? Half Life? Command & Conquer? Diablo? TIE Fighter (since you can boot into DOS)? NHL97? Rise of the Triad? Heretic? Shadow Warrior?

Redeemed
12-20-06, 03:57 AM
Mmm, I loved Shogo.

Giant: Citizen Kabuto? Half Life? Command & Conquer? Diablo? TIE Fighter (since you can boot into DOS)? NHL97? Rise of the Triad? Heretic? Shadow Warrior?

Terra Nova? MechWarrior2: 31st Century Combat? Star Wars: Dark Forces? Wac-A-Mole (my favorite game evah! :p )?

CaptNKILL
12-20-06, 06:34 AM
Deus Ex maybe.
Deus Ex works fine in XP. It looks great with everything maxed at 2048x1536 with 16xTAA and 16xAF. :D

crainger
12-20-06, 04:03 PM
Deus Ex works fine in XP. It looks great with everything maxed at 2048x1536 with 16xTAA and 16xAF. :D

It does? I thought it had problems with modern hardware?! I've been making an idiot out of myself.

Being Unreal based it should support widescreen with a few ini edits too :D