PDA

View Full Version : eVGA 8800 GTX ACS3??

Pages : [1] 2

darthmalak
12-21-06, 06:22 AM
How come just about every review of the eVGA 8800 GTX is tested with ACS3 cooling and eVGA cannot deliver that on their cards?

To me that sounds like a little scam to bump up their reviews. I also read somewhere that the ACS3 version is supposed to cost even more?

So the question is, how does the eVGA relate to other 8800 GTX cards in terms of OC'ing, cooling and performance to the other available 8800 GTX cards? The eVGA card is significantly more expensive than the other ones and if it doesn't offer what is said in the revieuws I wonder why people don't go for one of the other brands?

ViN86
12-21-06, 08:46 AM
ACS3 is eVGA's proprietary cooling system. it stands for Asymmetric Cooling System. it will be available to the public once it is released. it will be expensive because eVGA designed the ACS3 cooling system and it is better than the stock solution. of course they are going to send those cards in for reviews, as it allows them to get better numbers with some OC'ing.

i cant comment in terms of eVGA's OC'ing performance on the G80 series because i personally dont know much about it (my card OC's very well, but its a 7800gtx...).

from my experience, the ACS3 system is worth it (if youre staying on air cooling). so, its up to you whether or not you want to wait and/or spend the extra cash.

rudedog
12-21-06, 09:45 AM
The question would be why would a reviewer/site review a card with an option that is not available to the general public? They should disclose that up front and let everyone know, maybe even have a separate smaller review on how the card performs when it's released.

Now if the card is available for sale, then it's fair game and should be reviewed.

Disclaimer, I'm a huge fan of eVGA, it's my manufacture of choice. As a customer I can't really make an informed buying decision based on something i can't buy now can ?

PaiN
12-21-06, 10:03 AM
imo....it dosen't matter which brand you buy in stock form, OCing is ALWAYS a crap shoot. For me MSI nVidia cards have always offered the best OCing(not kidding), but when I purchased this GTS, I went with BFG for the price(after MIR) and the shirt

darthmalak
12-21-06, 10:22 AM
Thanks, I knew what ACS3 was... And like rudedog said (and what I was meaning to say)... The reviews that are now out on the eVGA card all use the ACS3 cooling. It also comes out on top in almost every review. This is misguiding the public. The ACS3 cards have been sent to reviewers as soon as the 8800 GTX was out. I'm surprised no competitor made a remark or something about that.

I wouldn't have so much problems with it if there were enough reviews outthere with the standard cooling, that would at least give me an honest way to determine what meets my needs.

And I know OC'ing is not a sure thing. But the fact is that the ACS3 cards OC a lot better.

jAkUp
12-21-06, 11:14 AM
Hey guys, you will find it out this week ;)

darthmalak
12-21-06, 12:51 PM
What does that mean?

I mean, eVGA has been saying it will definitely be there before christmas. In order for it to be ready before christmas, taking into account shipping time, it should be there now or last week.

And eVGA is having trouble supplying the cards...

RussianHAXOR
12-21-06, 12:55 PM
How about... maybe this week you'll see em in stores? And you should be able to get them if you ship via Saturday shipping. :captnkill:

darthmalak
12-21-06, 01:14 PM
Yeah... that is what eVGA has been saying but so far no confirmation... (unless you work for eVGA)

And maybe people in the US are lucky but there IS something more out there you know.

MikeC
12-21-06, 01:18 PM
JakUp works for EVGA. RussianHAXOR moderates EVGA's Forums.

RussianHAXOR
12-21-06, 01:24 PM
Thanks for clearing that up mike.

darthmalak
12-21-06, 01:32 PM
Okay, thanks... Let's hope then that JakUp has some good answers! :)

RussianHAXOR
12-21-06, 02:00 PM
Are you in Europe? I believe that statement is valid only in the US since it takes a lil longer to reach europe.

ViN86
12-21-06, 02:42 PM
The question would be why would a reviewer/site review a card with an option that is not available to the general public? They should disclose that up front and let everyone know, maybe even have a separate smaller review on how the card performs when it's released.

Now if the card is available for sale, then it's fair game and should be reviewed.

Disclaimer, I'm a huge fan of eVGA, it's my manufacture of choice. As a customer I can't really make an informed buying decision based on something i can't buy now can ?
i understand the question, but i dont know why he honestly cares. i mean, if you were manufacturing video cards, wouldnt you want your best to be reviewed? are you saying that it shouldnt be able to be reviewed if its not released? i agree with that if the card is never going to be released, but the truth is, gettin your card out and reviewed before it hits is good marketing. its like engineering samples that review sites get their hands on before release.

the card IS going to come out, its not like theyre making cards for test that will never be available to the public, theyre just showing off what it can do and building some hype before its released.

ViN86
12-21-06, 02:44 PM
Okay, thanks... Let's hope then that JakUp has some good answers! :)
the probability that jAkUp will have good answers regarding eVGA is about the same as that of the sun coming up tomorrow.

99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 999999% ;)

RussianHAXOR
12-21-06, 04:01 PM
haha, *sends all nukes to the sun to proove him wrong*

darthmalak
12-21-06, 04:58 PM
Are you in Europe? I believe that statement is valid only in the US since it takes a lil longer to reach europe.

Yes I am and the card without ACS3 I just ordered for a whopping $ 880,= !!! (but I'll probably cancel it since I based my order on some of the reviews and data coming from benches and such with ACS3 cooling, which at the time I thought was standard).

So maybe now you will understand why I'm asking these questions :) ... Just a tad to much money to not ask some questions...

All of the eVGA reviews out now have been done with ACS3 cooling... But no ACS3 cooling is available so that means falsifying the reviews in my opinion. It is not a true market sample they are using.

Sure it will become available eventually but eVGA should rethink their business of sending in vamped up cards in order for them to bump up their benchmark scores in reviews.

RussianHAXOR
12-21-06, 05:05 PM
The benchmarks are actually exactly the same, those cards arent overclocked at all. They are just with better coolers to improve temperatures, thats all. There is no performance difference until you overlclock. I'm sorry if you misunderstood the reviews, but the ACS3 is simply an alternative cooling solution that sells for more than the regular 8800GTX/8800GTS's so please dont be discouraged with your purchase. :)

hemmy
12-21-06, 06:30 PM
Why bother, the cooler is almost no different, besides aesthetics so why pay the extra money

darthmalak
12-22-06, 02:43 AM
Okay, I was under the impression that the ACS3 cooler would offer a considerable advantage in OC'ing and such...

Thanks! :)

jAkUp
12-22-06, 10:09 AM
Why bother, the cooler is almost no different, besides aesthetics so why pay the extra money

It keeps the GPU running a few degrees cooler.

skoprowski
12-22-06, 03:17 PM
Looks like it's a no go........ it's 4pm here and nothing yet.

darthmalak
12-23-06, 05:48 PM
Got an e-mail from my retailer yesterday saying that their supplier wasn't expecting acs3 cards to be available until feb.

So again I ask, am I the only one that is a bit unsettled about the fact that eVGA is scamming up its benchmark scores in every review out there while they cannot even supply THAT card.. eVGA is sending in cards that are significantly different to the other ones. BAH... :(

jAkUp
12-23-06, 06:21 PM
February is a totally made up date.

Sorry for the minor setback, but you should hear all about it way before then. Within a weeks time.

SH0DAN
12-23-06, 06:32 PM
jAkUp,I just bought two GTS's from Ncix,are they open to the step up ?,I ask
as I want to have the ACS3 cooling on both of them.Both were purschased
within the last week.