PDA

View Full Version : "Another World" Gets MakeOver After 15 Years!!

SH64
12-21-06, 02:00 PM
Sounds good!! (if you are old enough to know what the heck is Another World ;))
(nana2) (nana2)
Lexicon Entertainment announce the signing of Another World 15th Anniversary Edition, a new enhanced version, completely recreated in full HD which includes newly remixed sounds and an exclusive remixing of the original soundtrack by the original music composer JF Freitas.
http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=39499&mode=thread&order=0

Gamers will be able to set the resolution up to 2048x1536 or the original 320X200.

http://img275.imageshack.us/img275/8917/anotherworld2vv3.jpg

Ninjaman09
12-21-06, 02:01 PM
Holy crap! That's cool - I'll probably be getting this.

Q
12-21-06, 02:03 PM
SWEET!

CaptNKILL
12-21-06, 02:29 PM
There was a thread about this during the summer I think. I purchased it right away. :)

For anyone not sure, yes you can buy it in the USA. :)

It sure is a hell of a frustrating game but its so addicting. I couldn't stop playing it. :o

Its not real long (compared to similar games like Flashback and Blackthorne) but its still excellent and has enough to it to make it worth the money. One of the most original and artistic games I've ever played.

I never got very far when I played it on the Genesis back in the day (or even on an emulator in the last 5 years) but with the new "checkpoint" system and the updated graphics its definitely worth buying and playing through.

I remember one thing that caused me a fair bit of frustration though... be careful about starting new games when you have one already going. I lost a few levels of progress by clicking things too much. You can hack the save files easily to fix the problem (they are just text) but if you remember, be careful what you click on in the menus when you play.

Oh, and an old PS1 controller was perfect for this game. The nice accurate "button" D-Pad beats the hell out of any of the squishy pads on most controllers.

OldOfEvil
12-21-06, 02:59 PM
Ugh, I hated that game. What they really need is to remake Flashback. Or was it Flash Back, I can't recall. That was a much better game for Out of This World genre.

MaXThReAT
12-21-06, 03:20 PM
Yeah it was Flashback The Quest for Identity, one of my fav game on the segaCD. I'll bet we see a remake in the next year or two. They already made one sequel to it for PS and PC called Fade to Black, it was okay, I think I still have it. This remake will be just sweet though.

CaptNKILL
12-21-06, 03:33 PM
The only thing I don't like about this game is that you can't explore the world further. Its such a pretty game and the scenery and people look so lifelike, but you just get to see them from one view, for a few minutes while you race through a scene and then they're gone.

This game needs a sequel... or at least some kind of spinoff 3d action adventure puzzle game in the same world. I want to know more about that place and the cities and the evil men. Grr. :D

SH64
12-21-06, 04:58 PM
This game needs a sequel... or at least some kind of spinoff 3d action adventure puzzle game in the same world. I want to know more about that place and the cities and the evil men. Grr. :D
Yeah the game needs a sequel , but its so old now that most people dont remember the story behind it or the characters who take role on it.

OWA
12-21-06, 06:06 PM
I'm old enough...but uh, I've never heard of it. Guess I'll check out the remake. :)

DCult
12-22-06, 04:54 AM
I remember spending many hours playing this puppy on my Amiga 500... :D

Definately brings back some great memories.

Yeah, me too. I was still in school. 15 years ago! I'm 32 now :( Anyway, I;m way too nostalgic to play these (although I have emulators on my desktop) because it's not about the Amiga or Commodore 64 games themselves, but because these things are somehow connected to a very happy and wonderful time in our lives. It's called childhood and adolescence :p.

CaptNKILL
12-22-06, 05:40 AM
Ok, so apparently the high resolution version is free now?
http://www.anotherworld.fr/anotherworld_uk/telechargement.htm

I payed $10 for it when it was originally released earlier this year.

Oh well... :|

Becoming
12-22-06, 09:02 AM
I dunno, they had a demo up when it came out that you just unlocked with a code when you purchased I thought (it's been long enough that I don't recall now). So that could very well be what it is.

-edit- Yup. If you wish to play the full title you will need to purchase it. Once paid a key (a small file) will be sent to you by e-mail, which will allow you to unlock the rest of the game.

Leech
12-22-06, 09:34 AM
Sweet candy.

Actually I still have my Original Atari ST disks sitting in the closet. Loved this game.

By the way, there IS a sequel, it's called Heart of the Alien. Unfortunately it came out for only ONE platform; The SegaCD. It also included "Out of this World" which is the name in the USA for Another World.

I think you may be able to find Heart of the Alien on abandonware sites and it does play in SegaCD emulators.

I will say this much, the Out of this World that is included on Heart of the Alien is much more difficult than the Another World on the Amiga and the Atari ST (I've beaten both of them.)

I also won Flashback and Fade to Black. Though Fade to Black was one of those games that was 3D before it's time, and seriously would rock as a remake, it also suffered from crappy controls, but it had a great story line.

Leech

CaptNKILL
12-22-06, 01:37 PM
I dunno, they had a demo up when it came out that you just unlocked with a code when you purchased I thought (it's been long enough that I don't recall now). So that could very well be what it is.

-edit- Yup.
Ah ok. :thumbsup:

Leech: I forgot about Heart of the Alien. I've never played it but I read about it.

I found a source port of it:
http://hota.sourceforge.net/

But you need the original CD (for the game resources) in order to play it. I wonder if its possible to download it anywhere...

EDIT: Woa, I actually found it.
http://www.coolrom.com/roms/segacd/237/Out_of_this_World_2_-_Heart_of_the_Alien.php

I'd consider this abandonware (12 year old game for a console thats been obsolete for 10 years) but if there is a problem with me posting this link, feel free to delete it mods. :)

Also, the site claims to only have legal roms. They say they don't have any that are protected by the ESA (ie Mario, Donkey Kong, etc.).

EDIT: Heh, wow. I just got Heart of the Alien working on an emulator... no wonder I've never played it. :o

The gameplay is even more obscure and clunky than in the first one. I've managed to die 40 times in 15 minutes (at the beginning of the first level) and already had to look at a walkthrough. And even then it didnt help much.

I think I'll just appreciate the cool atmosphere of the first one and leave it at that. These guys were great designers as far as sound, visuals and atmosphere but I'm still not a fan of the "die 400 times a second" gameplay. The original game wasnt as bad as this though. Holy crap... :o

SH64
12-23-06, 06:42 AM
Ok, so apparently the high resolution version is free now?

I payed $10 for it when it was originally released earlier this year.

Oh well... :|
Woah sweet!! is that a demo or the full game ??!

i'm downloading it anyway :D

Peoples-Agent
12-23-06, 09:07 AM
Another World and Prince of Persia basically pioneered realistic character movement in games, I would love to visit this game again.

Xbox Live Arcade needs more titles like this.

**Prays for them to bring back Road Rash**

EciDemon
01-13-07, 05:30 PM
Sorry for reviving an older thread here, but there actually is a sequel to this game (as a few people was wishing for it) , where you play as the friendly alien you encounter through out the first game.

As far as I know it was only released on Sega Mega CD.

Another world II - Heart of the Alien.

Music is all CD tracks so its very nice, and it also featured the full first game.

CaptNKILL
01-13-07, 05:36 PM
Sorry for reviving an older thread here, but there actually is a sequel to this game (as a few people was wishing for it) , where you play as the friendly alien you encounter through out the first game.

As far as I know it was only released on Sega Mega CD.

Another world II - Heart of the Alien.

Music is all CD tracks so its very nice, and it also featured the full first game.
If you read this thread, you'll see we already discussed Heart of the Alien. :D

DasFox
01-13-07, 06:58 PM
This is the actual game:

The download link that says:

The Windows XP high resolution re-release is downloadable here. ?

THANKS

EciDemon
01-14-07, 06:10 AM
If you read this thread, you'll see we already discussed Heart of the Alien. :D

Oups sorry :D

was very tired when i posted last night lol