PDA

View Full Version : is powerstrip really spyware pic inside

xxslixx
12-21-06, 06:21 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d31/xslix/powerstrip.jpg

strange mirco trend picks powerstrip up as spyware.i installed it once n uninstalled n it just came up this way uninstalled.i was testing it out with 8800gts becuz rivaturner wasnt out yet for g80, now that rivaturner came out for g80 i started using it.never touchin powerstrip again if it is or isnt spyware!11/18 when i first got my gfx card too

hemmy
12-21-06, 07:31 PM
i would have to say no since it has been widely used and updated for a number of years

TonyM16
12-21-06, 08:11 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d31/xslix/powerstrip.jpg

strange mirco trend picks powerstrip up as spyware.i installed it once n uninstalled n it just came up this way uninstalled.i was testing it out with 8800gts becuz rivaturner wasnt out yet for g80, now that rivaturner came out for g80 i started using it.never touchin powerstrip again if it is or isnt spyware!11/18 when i first got my gfx card too

So what you are saying is that powerstrip was uninstalled and it still came up?

If that is true than what has happened is that since it is a complicated software windows didn't delete the program file after unistalling. Since the screen shot you shows confirms this. You should have deleted the powerstrip folder aswell after uninstalling . Lots of software leave behind traces, and it's your job to clean up afterwards.

My guess is that Micros Trend picked up on the fact that there is a large folder in the programs folder full of .exe and .dll without any registry entries or very few entries and lack of program entry in the program registry list. So it assumed it was spyware . Actually It doesn't actually say it is spyware it is just saying that you should delete it or quarantine it. Nothing to worry about.

Next time when you uninstall something go to you My Program folder and check if the Program folder has really been deleted or not. You should also clean out the registry of remnants of the program as they are often left behind. It's usually apps that do this, most games are kind enough to completely delete themselves but not all games mind.

SLippe
12-21-06, 08:17 PM
Use CCleaner to clean your comp.

stevemedes
12-21-06, 11:38 PM
Use CCleaner to clean your comp.

QFT, I use CCleaner on my computer and its an awesome little proggy.

All I use are Avira Antivir, Windows Firewall, Spybot and CCleaner. Plus im sure my linksys router has a firewall too.

spajdr
12-22-06, 01:11 AM
QFT, I use CCleaner on my computer and its an awesome little proggy.

All I use are Avira Antivir, Windows Firewall, Spybot and CCleaner. Plus im sure my linksys router has a firewall too.

Avira? NOD32 is best :)
Windows firewall? means no firewall, use Comodo firewall.
Spybot is good, but spysweeper is better :)

SLippe
12-22-06, 01:17 AM
I use AVG, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware SE, CCleaner, Windows Firewall and my Linksys router.