PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a DVD/VHS unit...

OWA
12-21-06, 08:06 PM
Okay, I've tried a combo unit for DVD playback/burning and VHS playback/recording without a lot of luck. I've tried an LG and Samsung unit and both have a lot of trouble playing back a lot of my store bought DVDs. I'd say in almost 40% of my DVDs in excellent condition, I'll have trouble with playback. It'll freeze, start skipping, picture will be corrupted etc. A lot times, it happens around the 2 hours mark. Most DVDs that I rent work fine.

So, any recommendations on a combo unit that plays DVDs. records to DVD, plays/records VHS tapes and also up-converts to near HD?

LG LRY-517 I have and has the same issues I'm mentioned.

Samsung VR-325 I have and has the issues I'm mentioned.

Currently, I'm ready to throw both of those in the river since I'm stick of making it almost all the way through a movie and then have it crap out near the end.

evilchris
12-21-06, 08:08 PM
You're going to need to buy separates. None of the combo units are worth a ****.

OWA
12-21-06, 08:47 PM
Thanks, that's what I figured.

OWA
12-21-06, 09:03 PM
Any recommedations on a DVD player/burner? Consumer line not audiophile/videophile type quality?

AthlonXP1800
12-21-06, 09:34 PM
Okay, I've tried a combo unit for DVD playback/burning and VHS playback/recording without a lot of luck. I've tried an LG and Samsung unit and both have a lot of trouble playing back a lot of my store bought DVDs. I'd say in almost 40% of my DVDs in excellent condition, I'll have trouble with playback. It'll freeze, start skipping, picture will be corrupted etc. A lot times, it happens around the 2 hours mark. Most DVDs that I rent work fine.

So, any recommendations on a combo unit that plays DVDs. records to DVD, plays/records VHS tapes and also up-converts to near HD?

LG LRY-517 I have and has the same issues I'm mentioned.

Samsung VR-325 I have and has the issues I'm mentioned.

Currently, I'm ready to throw both of those in the river since I'm stick of making it almost all the way through a movie and then have it crap out near the end.

What a terrible waste to buy these 2 LG and Samsung to try playback DVDs it cant played. Too bad both LG and Samsung did not have the ability to update the firmware.

I strongly recommend Liteon, I have Liteon 5026 DVD recorder with HDD, it is wonderful machine that can update firmware to improve future DVD playback compatibilities as well as improve picture quality etc. I been updated the firmware 4 times.

I found Liteon LVC-9006 DVD recorder with built-in VCR for $223 (http://www.shentech.com/1040122sn.html).

evilchris
12-21-06, 10:11 PM
Any recommedations on a DVD player/burner? Consumer line not audiophile type quality?

I use a Sony GX330. Cheap as hell and works good. I don't watch DVD's on it though.

OWA
12-22-06, 07:26 PM
What do you use to watch DVDs?

evilchris
12-22-06, 10:01 PM
What do you use to watch DVDs?

Toshiba HD-A2

OWA
12-27-06, 07:00 PM
Amazon has that for $449.99. Do you think that's a good price for it?

J-Mag
12-27-06, 07:03 PM
Why do you want the VHS capability anyway? I say convert your old VHS tapes now into whatever digital form you like.

OWA
12-27-06, 07:09 PM
Because I still have around 300 VHS tapes that I didn't buy DVD versions for. I guess I could convert them but I started trying to do that with cassette tapes (have around 200 or so that I haven't replaced with CDs) and it takes forever.

Right now though, I'd just be happy with a good DVD "player" that plays my entire collection without making me want to throw the DVD player in the river.

ynnek
12-27-06, 07:35 PM
My coworker, who is an AV fanatic, swears by his Oppo DVD player.
http://www.oppodigital.com/

His model has the Faroudja upsampler thats found in vastly more expensive DVD player and supposedly rivals much much much more expensive models.. He went through 2 really expensive DVD players until he got the Oppo, which he said was not only way cheaper, but better than the other really expensive highend DVD players.

I personally don't have a HD Tv, so I still use my PS2 with remote heh..

OWA
12-28-06, 11:18 AM

Thanks, for the link. I'll check that out. Edit:Can you ask him which model he has when you get a chance. The link provides 3 models. They all seem pretty similiar though. Edit 2:Nevermind, the compare part of the link shows which ones have the faroudja.

Why do you want the VHS capability anyway? I say convert your old VHS tapes now into whatever digital form you like.
Another reason I thought of this morning, is that I need the tuner from it. My current "tv" is just the Westinghouse 37" LCD monitor. I originally just got it to use on my 2nd computer but after watching HDTV on it decided to give up my 32" Sony TV. Now that it's not connected to my computer, I use an HDTV tuner but it doesn't receive cable, only OTA stations. The tuner in the combo unit is what I use to for cable.

john19055
12-28-06, 11:26 AM
I have a Panansonic DMR-ES35V that plays and records DVD's and VHS and it plays all my movies plus the ones I made and copied.

evilchris
12-28-06, 12:18 PM
http://www.oppodigital.com/

His model has the Faroudja upsampler thats found in vastly more expensive DVD player and supposedly rivals much much much more expensive models.. He went through 2 really expensive DVD players until he got the Oppo, which he said was not only way cheaper, but better than the other really expensive highend DVD players.

I personally don't have a HD Tv, so I still use my PS2 with remote heh..

I used an Oppo until HD DVD players came out. They're ok.

evilchris
12-28-06, 12:19 PM
Amazon has that for $449.99. Do you think that's a good price for it?
Yeah, or buy it from Worst Buy for full price + 2 free movies right now till the 30th. About the same deal.

superklye
12-28-06, 12:30 PM
Yeah, or buy it from Worst Buy for full price + 2 free movies right now till the 30th. About the same deal.
This douche at the first store I went to told me it was discontinued when I asked him where it was.

I was like, "Dude, the A2 just came out."
Him: "It was announced, you can't buy it yet."
Me: "I know a ton of people that have it!"
Him: "Well, we don't stock it yet. We might have it online, but not in stores."
Me: "I checked earlier today and it said you and Southridge had it available in store."
Him: "We haven't had any yet."
Me: "I was here last week and you had a stack of them."
Him: "Impossible. We haven't sold any yet. It's not available."
Me: "Dude, it's on page 7 of your ad with a $499.99 price tag and a deal for 2 free HD DVDs with purchase."
Him: "Look, I'm busy. I have to go."

And he just walked away. I was dumbfounded. I went to the Southridge store and got the last one in the state (from what they told me of their live inventory).

Idiots.

OWA
12-28-06, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the info. I think I'd like to get something locally anyway unless there is a huge price difference.

evilchris
12-28-06, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the info. I think I'd like to get something locally anyway unless there is a huge price difference.

I don't know if the A2 is the best choic for you since you want something highly compatible. HD/BD players have issues with DVD's here and there...

superklye
12-28-06, 01:02 PM
I don't know if the A2 is the best choic for you since you want something highly compatible. HD/BD players have issues with DVD's here and there...
What kind of issues?

OWA
12-28-06, 01:05 PM
Okay, yeah, at this point I just want something that plays regular DVDs without any issues. It's pretty frustrating to get 3/4 of the way through a movie and then start having hiccups (freezes, picture breaking up, etc.).

evilchris
12-28-06, 01:06 PM
What kind of issues?

Some discs may not play. I never had any with XA1 but others did.

superklye
12-28-06, 01:06 PM
Hmm...okay. :-\